Term X Defense Ministry

greekguy

Missed the Boat
Welcome to the Term 10 Defense Ministry of MIA, where i'll be bringing the military prowess of TNT to those Missing In Action. ;) This thread will be a hub of MIA military info, and the place to discuss potential attack/invasion plans, unit movements, and tactical possibilities. I'll also try to update any and all relevant Defense Info into short concise posts. Here's to a good term and a new generation of MIA leadership. :beer:

Here I'll post updates concerning MIA military, which will include in-game and Civ Assist II screenshots. I'll try to do turn by turn updates, starting with Turn 180.

edit: nvm, instead of editing this one post 20 times, i'll post new posts each time i do an update. except an update shortly.

greekguy said:
Welcome to the Term 10 Defense Ministry of MIA, where i'll be bringing the military prowess of TNT to those Missing In Action. ;)

I've still got the old battle plans for using Military Road to crack the Nutters. Managed to smuggle them out with a couple old bones from Semtex. Let me know if you need them or the plans. Oh, and don't forget the surplus scimitars that we found in the basement of the Doughnutian embassy in Athens. As soon as you get a galley outfitted I'm ready to lead a squad in an attack on Battle Island.

Turn 180

Headlines:

*New Defense Minister greekguy settles into office after successful electoral victory

Military Screenshots for the People:

Our Military as of Turn 180:

Our military strength compared to other civs:

Our domination tile numbers. I thought this could help us later in the war, as to not trigger a domination victory by accident (this is assuming we want to win by conquest).

D'Nut Invasion Force

In the election, I proposed a very high tech and high powered invasion force to successfully invade and conquer D'Nuts. Here I'll show you how much of the force we have acquired and how much more we need. Also, I am going to slightly alter the numbers i originally posted in the election debate, however, these numbers are of course up to further debate by all MIA citizens.

Planned Invasion Force:

60 Bombers
50 Marines
12 Transports
9 Cruisers
All the cavs we still have alive
10 Infantry
25 Artillery

Invasion Force On Hand ATM:

60 Bombers= 0%
50 Marines= 0%
12 Transports= 25%, although the 3 Galleons we have will need to be upgraded to Transports
9 Cruisers= 0%
All Cavalry still alive: 100%
10 Infantry= 100%+, although our 17 Hoplites will need to be upgraded to Infantry

Still Need to Build/Purchase:

Build 60 Bombers
Build 50 Marines
Upgrade 3 Galleons, build 9 Transports
Build 9 Cruisers
Upgrade 17 Hoplites

Lastly, I would like to once again thank all who voted for me in the election, it becomes easier to assimilate to a new team when you win a position of power. ;) Also, please discuss and debate all plans I have for the military, especially D'Nut Invasion Plans. The more people post and debate, the better our team will work and victory will become assured. :salute:

I don't think we will need nearly that many marines. The only reason we will have marines is to take coastal cities without having to set foot on land first. However, the way I envision the invasion going, we will pick a coastal town, kill all the defenders in it using bombers, then walk into the empty town with a lone marine. Once the town is captured, unload cavalry into the town and have them charge inland (maybe with bomber/artillery help - it depends if the interior towns are guarded or empty).

We may want to use this approach in numerous coastal locations, so I'm not suggesting we only need 1 marine total, but I think 50 will be way too many. There should be no need for more than 1 per transport.

I also have to say, I don't know anything about cruisers - I'm not sure I've ever used them. What are their specs?

Regarding conquest/domination, I think we just take whatever victory condition we can reach first.

Cruisers are a cross between a Destroyer and a Battleship. They are faster than a battleship, but slower than a destroyer. They're also stronger than a destroyer, but weaker than a battleship.

here's their official stats: 160 shields, needs oil, 15 Attack, 10 Defense, 6 moves, and they can also bombard.

also, about marines, how many do you think we need then. i guess 50 is kinda overkill, so how about 20 or 25?

Personally I would rather have victory with domination than possible victory with a chance that the nutters will be able to run over our newly gotten cities, but that's probably just me.

I think it may be wise to just take a domination win.
It isn't really fun to play a hopelessly losing game – if our invasion goes as successfully as planned, it will be a hopeless situation for the Nuts. We shouldn't drag out the pain any longer than necessary. (imho)

I like the invasion plan! :thumbsup:
But, yeah – WAY too many marines in that plan. I think our max should be more like Chamnix suggested – 1 per transport. Although, we'd really only need that many if we want to invade at a bunch of different points simultaneously… which sounds like a good idea to me. Still – I'd advocate we pick something more like 5 or 6 locations, and focus on that. We don't want our attack to be TOO spread out… just for WarWeariness concerns, we'll want to minimize our losses. Anyway – if we invade 5 different points, then we'll only need 5 marines.

That’s my 2 cents!
:salute:

Are 10 infantry really going to be enough to guard the cities, or are we talking about the initial point where we take the 3-4 cities? Also how much info do we have about the nutter's military force?

Don't think small. Dnuts have a lot of coastal towns. Either many of them will be completely undefended, or they all will be thinly defended. Interior towns will also be undefended or very thinly defended - we don't have information about their military other than the fact that they are weak, but they just can't have enough units to cover everywhere marines can hit.

By the time we get marines (turn 206 at the earliest), they should be fully railroaded at least throughout their core. We could have well over 100 bombers by then depending on how effective their air defenses are. We have 40-something cavalry and could build a few more. The first turn of the ground invasion could see more like 30 towns captured, and we will abandon anything we can't comfortably hold.

If we are determined to hold a town, there are thing we can do to minimize risk even without having lots of infantry. We can pillage roads around its border so artillery can't approach and fire in 1 turn. We can add workers to bump it up to size 7 immediately so we don't have to wait a turn for walls to complete.

lost_civantares said:
Are 10 infantry really going to be enough to guard the cities, or are we talking about the initial point where we take the 3-4 cities? Also how much info do we have about the nutter's military force?

well, i came up with those numbers while assuming we would go for conquest victory. i thought we would raze most of the Iroqi cities, while keeping cities with wonders or any towns nowhere near the front lines. now it seems like we want a domination win, which, i agree, would require more Infantry. it depends on what the team decides. maybe we should have a poll...

General_W said:
I think it may be wise to just take a domination win.
It isn't really fun to play a hopelessly losing game – if our invasion goes as successfully as planned, it will be a hopeless situation for the Nuts. We shouldn't drag out the pain any longer than necessary. (imho)

I like the invasion plan! :thumbsup:
But, yeah – WAY too many marines in that plan. I think our max should be more like Chamnix suggested – 1 per transport. Although, we'd really only need that many if we want to invade at a bunch of different points simultaneously… which sounds like a good idea to me. Still – I'd advocate we pick something more like 5 or 6 locations, and focus on that. We don't want our attack to be TOO spread out… just for WarWeariness concerns, we'll want to minimize our losses. Anyway – if we invade 5 different points, then we'll only need 5 marines.

That’s my 2 cents!
:salute:

taking 5 Marines to attack 5 different locations seems a bit risky to me. if even 1 Marine fails, then that's 1 less town we can secure on the first turn. so, how about 10-15 Marines? that way, if 1 Marine dies there's still another chance or 2 that we could take the city our unit died attacking.

Winning method - I don't care at all which victory condition. I'm really thinking in terms of beat the crap out of the Nuts until they retire more than anything else. If they insist on playing until the end, then whatever looks like it will take less time is great. We'll see how the attack goes - the initial attack is still probably going to involve razing towns because we won't be likely to be able to hold everything we can conquer.

We're not going to lose any marines on offense. Our bombers are going to kill every defender in our proposed attack point, and our marines will walk into undefended towns. We could lose them on the counterattack, but we can build more then.

Ok – so dreaming a little bigger – if we've got 43 cavalry… then we could build just 2 more… then we could put 5 cavalry on each of 9 transports. Each of those 9 transports could also get a marine.

That gives us 9 different invasion points, and 5 cavalry at each point for further penetration. We could also build 2 more transports and fill 1 with 6 workers and the other with 6 Infantry. We then choose 1 of our 9 invasion points as a "keeper" (probably in the jungle)… destroying all the rail and road lines to prevent a counter-attack, bulk the town up to city size with workers, and secure it with the Infantry. Then we can begin to rebase our bombers closer into Dnut territory for further bombing in support of the invasion.

What about that idea?
Still dreaming too small?

Why not attack both sides of the continent at the same time? Secure 2 jungle locations, so that we can bomb from both the NE and NW?

It would also be nice to have a handful of bombers to whack-a-mole at KISS

A few thoughts...

We can't bump a jungle town up to size 7 unless the Nuts were kind enough to build an aqueduct there for us. Our keeper(s) must be either on river or already size 7+ (so we know they have an aqueduct) if we want the defense bonus.

If the goal in keeping a town is to move our bombers in, then I think we want fighters to rebase there first or flak/mobile SAMs or whatever the most effective AA defense is. I don't want all our bombers in 1 place where the Dnuts can destroy them while they are on the ground.

Bombers has range of what? 15? There can't be too many places that are out of reach from our territory. We'll have to look at the map to see where we might need BI towns.

I'm not sure how many ways we want to divide up our forces. It may be just as effective loading 1 marine and 47 cavalry to 1 location - break through the outer wall and run wild. Cavalry are very effective at walking into empty towns ;). That's another thing we will have to look at the map for - how many entry points are best, but I like the way you're thinking.

I could be off, but I thought that bombers only had a range of 8: 8 out, 8 back.

If that's the case, then either we'll need some carriers, or our landing options are limited.

I'm pretty sure bombers have a range of 10.
(looked it up in my Civ3C3Cdata table)

Good enough to hit a lot of Dnut land... but we'll probably need a base or 2 overseas to really finish the job. Assuming the Nuts don't roll over like KISS did.

I'll try to post some good CivAssist maps later when I get a chance tonight or tomorrow... unless GreekGuy can beat me to it?

How many Nutter cities will be within bombing range of our land based aircraft? I still think the best invasion route is through territory currently held by the Galls. No only would it be easier to attack with land based bombers but the straight is short enough to allow transports to reach Battle Island in one turn.

Lots going on for the first turn of the new term:

I don't know whose decision Eureka Stockade is, but I think we should abandon it and disband both our units there.

KISS cratered one of our furs (and forgot to tell us - I guess that's why RegentMan said "additional"). I strongly recommend putting a unit or two on the other one - if KISS tries to bombard, they will injure our units instead of destroying our road.

We have 2 brand new frigates near the offending boats in the southwest. We can attack a privateer or a galley or both. If we split the frigates, we should still win both battles, or we could use one to bombard the galley and kill with the other if we want.

Our new Defense Minister has to start earning his pay right away :).

Top Bottom