1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Terra Map

Discussion in 'Yet (not) Another Maps Pack' started by Gedemon, Oct 10, 2017.

1. JeroenH007

JeroenH007 Chieftain

Thanks for the fast response. Will the random option for multiple scripts be added in the future?

2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

maybe, but not anytime soon I'm afraid.

3. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Good news!
    Ynamp 6.2 maps (including my favourite - Terra at ludicrous size) can be made to
    work with the Linux release of the Fall Update using the same tricks as used
    before, i.e. lowercase naming of include files, and deleting the Override
    subdirectory.

Better News!
    It will require a lot of "testing".

4. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

As I said before, I love your terra map! I really hope you'll allow the new archipelago mapscript in R&F as base for the old (and possibly new) world.
    It's beautiful and realistic, but it would need larger oceans to allow interaction between all civs, especially at the map borders. In the unmodded game, the bodies of water are to small overall and not always connected.

5. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

It seems to me that using the Terra Map script, I am getting noticeably fewer hills across the map compared with vanilla scripts and Detailed Worlds (even if the world age is set to New). Could you look into this, Gedemon?

6. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I'll have a look, but unsure of the cause. I'll do some stats first.

pokiehl likes this.
  7. Empariz

Empariz Chieftain

I've looked into the Terra map script and think I've found the problem. The script switches old world age to new world age and vice versa, meaning that if you set world age to new for more hills, you'll actually get an old world with less hills.

EDIT: this is the piece of code in TerraMap.lua that I was talking about.

Code:
    function GeneratePlotTypes()
        print("Generating Plot Types");
        local plotTypes = {};
        local world_age_new = 3;
        local world_age_normal = 2;
        local world_age_old = 1;

local water_percent_modifier = 0;

--    local sea_level
        local sea_level = MapConfiguration.GetValue("sea_level");
        if sea_level == 1 then -- Low Sea Level
            water_percent_modifier = -4
        elseif sea_level == 2 then -- Normal Sea Level
            water_percent_modifier = 0;
        elseif sea_level == 3 then -- High Sea Level
            water_percent_modifier = 4;
        else
            water_percent_modifier = TerrainBuilder.GetRandomNumber(9, "Random Sea Level - Lua") - 4;
        end

--    local world_age
        local world_age = MapConfiguration.GetValue("world_age");
        if (world_age == 1) then
            world_age = world_age_new;
        elseif (world_age == 2) then
            world_age = world_age_normal;
        elseif (world_age == 3) then
            world_age = world_age_old;
        else
            world_age = 1 + TerrainBuilder.GetRandomNumber(3, "Random World Age - Lua");
        end
        print("world_age = ", world_age);

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    pokiehl likes this.
  8. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Interesting find! However, if you choose regular world age and compare Terra with another script with the same setting, it feels like hills are a lot less frequent...

9. Empariz

Empariz Chieftain

I agree.

Do you reckon the same goes for mountains? because I do. If this map script would generate mountain ranges like PerfectWorld or Got Lakes? does, it would pretty much be perfect for me. I wish I could mod that in but unfortunately I have no modding experience.

10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

no, I know it's a bit odd, but AFAIK I used the same order than the standard mapscripts, see Continent.lua

I've lowered some values a bit, because there was too many mountains in some region (I love to have some mountain range, but I don't like when it's 2-3 tiles wide), maybe because of the way I call some of the map function to use on regions of the map instead of the full grid (the ratio is maybe applied based on the grid size, IDK, I do want to do a new pass on that script sometime in the future, it needs it)

You can have a look at the vanilla continent script and restore the original values and see how it goes for you (search for "world_age")

Empariz and pokiehl like this.
  11. JJOne

JJOne Chieftain

First of all I wanted to say that this is a great map script and I enjoyed it very much!
    Wanted to ask the other players: Does the AI in your games settle the new world?
    In my current game (marathon): third to caravels more than 50 turns after the first one, but my swordsman was the first to meet the new world city states, and now in modern era I'm still the only one with cities in America.