1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain is Dark

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by {|}$~\, Oct 26, 2005.

1. merm

merm Chieftain

for what it's worth, you only need to reveal the center of the world map. not quite so bad as having it all revealed.

-roger

2. Mr. Hyperbole

Mr. Hyperbole understated cynic

Anything is possible, but I find this highly unlikely. I too have an Intel 828 series and I've checked out their site Intel.com...from what I gather, it can't happen.
    OTOH, I would LOVE to be proven wrong. :p

3. allism

allism Chieftain

As of Tuesday morning, I still haven't received a response to the email I sent Tech Support on 28 October.

4. joesf35

joesf35 Chieftain

and they have not answered any of my 100+ phone calls

5. fromar

fromar Warlord

Same problem on my IBM T42. I guess those of us with company machines are SOL until Fraxis decides to help us out. Here's to throwing my CIV 4 box at the bottom of the luggage for the next few months. It hurts like breaking my leg.

Would it be easier to ask Fraxis to fix the software or to ask my IT guy to give me a new computer so I can play a video game?

Like breaking my leg.

6. Willem

Willem Deity

Go ask your IT guy, Firaxis is not going to fix what they've stated is a hardware requirement. Here's a qoute from Locutus, a mod over at Apolyton, and also a beta tester and the designer for at least one of the scenarios that came with the game. So I'm guessing he has an idea of where Firaxis stands on the issue.

7. repairsd

repairsd Chieftain

8. Willem

Willem Deity

It seems your card is having a problem with not showing the resources on a map, only the food. There's a thread about it here, and almost everyone on it has the same type of card as you, or at least similar.

9. mossmonster

mossmonster Consider, if you will...

This driver was mentioned in a few other posts as well. It's a Beta so I was very hesitant to install it on my laptop, but after seeing the good recommendations I did just that. I'm happy to report it did cure the dark terrain problem and the game seems to run a little bit better with less stuttering and slow diplomacy screen loading. The food only, no prod/comm issue still remains.

Thanks for the information. :goodjob:

10. bshirt

bshirt Chieftain

So, as I understand it, anyone with an Intel extreme graphics card like the 82845 GL is totally SOL, correct?

11. Willem

Willem Deity

That's right, though the 9xxx series seems to be OK. I've read a couple of posts by people that the game works fine on those, if they turn down the detail a little bit.

12. bshirt

bshirt Chieftain

Thank you, Willem.....bad news but it's the straight scoop.;)

13. merm

merm Chieftain

so, the latest "solution" i've come up with is to edit the map scripts to place me in the center of the map, thus revealing the "fog". i tested this using custom game (where i was always the first team) on pangaea on all map sizes including huge, and i tested it on oasis too. no idea what happens if a map gets generated where the center is all water tiles.

anyway, the general idea is to find the isValid function definition within the [mapname].py script in Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\PublicMaps.

right after the line:

def isValid(playerID, x, y):​

stick in the following:

map = CyMap()
    teamID = CyGlobalContext().getPlayer(playerID).getTeam()
    iH = map.getGridHeight()
    iW = map.getGridWidth()

# Check if we are the first team, and if so put us in the middle
    if int(teamID) == 0:
    return x >= iW * .45 and x <= iW * .55 and y >= iH * .45 and y <= iH * .55

(all that stuff after return should be on the same line)

note that in python tabs have meaning, so make sure before the lines you have tabs instead of spaces.

hope this helps someone,
    roger

14. VilleDick

VilleDick Chieftain

Hey guys, I had the same problem with the dark terrain and was angry about it. I went out and bought a new vid card and the problem is fixed. I can verify that the G-Force FX 5500 PCI card works. This card is made by PNY and I picked it up at Best Buy for $100. It bites that we have to spend an extra lump of cash but it works for sure. I haven't played it yet so I can't tell you the performance, but the terrain is there and the cheshire heads have found the rest of themselves. All's well, can't wait to start playing tonight.

15. jofesh

jofesh Chieftain

Post from another thread:

I have fixed my problems with the following adjustments:

* I went back to an old nVidia driver (61.77) link:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77

* I uninstalled Windows Media Player and then reinstalled it.

* Turned off in-game movies in .ini file.

I think the key was WMP, can't tell you why though. With these adjustments I haven't had any graphical problems even at high graphic detail. Hope this solution helps others.

16. BenLF

BenLF Chieftain

The thing that kills me about this Locutus quote is that my card DOES, let me repeat that, DOES support hardware T&L. ATI mobility Radeon 7500. So that's not the problem.:wallbash:

OK. gotta calm down and go play it on my Intel box that DOES NOT support hardware T&L. On which, this silly game runs perfectly.

17. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

:lol: That is odd... and sad at the same time. :( Atleast you can play the game though! Unfortunately for many of us its impossible to play it any way.

--

Congrats to all you guys that got it fixed! Anyone had the same luck with a Radeon card? Particularly IGP 345M? :D

18. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

Also, has anyone with a Radeon IGP 345M tried using the drivers at Omegadrivers.com?

Also, has anyone tried this program:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

I am starting to believe that maybe this is a driver problem and that many of our drivers need updating...

19. Willem

Willem Deity

The 7500 will work but you have to turn off your ARP acceleration, which will make the game run very slowly. And the Intel 9xxx series video cards don't have Hardware T&L but they can fake it through emulation.

20. Willem

Willem Deity

No, those cards won't work. They only support Direct X functions up to 6, and you need 9 for Civ 4.