[TOT] TES The Stormcloak Rebellion -Alpha opened

exemple.png

Gave wonders to their cities, placed most special tiles and units.
Savages beginning units next.

Was wondering ... shouldn't animals be freed from their hp bar ?

It's a personal preference - it certainly makes it harder to see how you're doing against them.
Sure.
Guess It will be given a try in tests phase only, to see its influence on balance.

I though about it as, somehow, that's harder to scout animals and their health than (similar to oneself) humanoid ennemies, isn't it ?

Much thanks !

Changed units costs matching @Prof. Garfield informations on missile behaviour, with my thanks to him.
That shall gives many more value to existing and generated (a way or another) units.

I am wondering about distilling "traps" for players, involving Thalmor and Talos Workshipping in Imperial case per exemple, where a small awaited benefit for its said costs may bring surprising disaster :D ? Bad idea ?
AI could be helped on that with AI rules tech values on civ tech engine side, with aleas for pure events on the lua side ?

Savages cities got their units and land bonuses.

Came up with icons for "technologies", with credits to DwemerFortress
exemple.png

Next will be improvement distribution to cities,
technologies alteration,
then the big piece of Lua Code.

Units are defined as objects in Lua.
Régions are defined in the TileInRegion() function.

Edith : Cities are defined. about 260 one by one, that's quite something !
Improvements & techs are defined in Lua's objects.

Now defining spawn point for some animals. Some others won't need such restricted spawn point.

Last edited:
Lua writing is going pretty fast.

Pretty dirty sadly, as I just reloaded a dozen time to clean (stupid) errors for only roughly two thousand lines.

Lore events shall be built last. I'll try to get a first feel of gameplay and balance test first, before painting over it, in a kind of Alpha stage.

Now THAT is an interesting wrinkle.
Nothing much though.
Only some alea on the unit type scale.

Guess that would be too much resource use to adapt it on the unit scale,
and the use of such alea is limited to tiny level scenarii.

After all, a regiment shooting wouldn't see all its shooter fail or see such quality disparity, would it *?

*I'm french, Crecy doesn't count ! :D

Instead of creating a menu to let players dispose of special mechanics descriptions, I decided to use the "Game Concept" section under civilopedia menu, changing describe.txt.

exemple.png

I got grouped together in three items usual civ2 game mechanics, giving visibility to the scenario ones.

I'm wrestling with how much is too much in describe. Are you going to write something for every tech? (Immersive, but will anyone read it-- I ask myself this all the time) or just descriptions for the techs that have some mechanic a player must be aware of? Lua is a blessing and a curse. The blessings are too much to mention. The curse is the need to document so much so that players understand what to do. It's a good problem to have, certainly!

I'm wrestling with how much is too much in describe. Are you going to write something for every tech? (Immersive, but will anyone read it-- I ask myself this all the time) or just descriptions for the techs that have some mechanic a player must be aware of? Lua is a blessing and a curse. The blessings are too much to mention. The curse is the need to document so much so that players understand what to do. It's a good problem to have, certainly!
The idea is to explain roughly what (every) "technologies" are doing, not to bring long lore explanations.

Precisions are to be looked after in Lua code or experimencing :) .

I particulary feel the need to propose this for the half dozen policies that are supposed to be repeatable.

Now going for mechanics around vampires and werewolves and an "exploration" actions to enrich later.

Technologies shall be changed too in describe.txt
Soon the first playtest series coming !

-Explorations are to be set in lua.

-At the moment, taking a pause from lua with the describe.txt

Last edited:
Seeing JPetrovski fabulous work with night an day skies, I can't help but think about how dividing Skyrim's map into a "Daylight" and a "DeepNight" one could bring many wonderfull interractions and forces changes. Vampires dead-like burning during the day, extremely powerfull at night, invisible animals at night...

Too late for this scenario. Can be kept in mind for further propositions.
So, let's go back to describe.txt, one third of tech left to write.

In Caesar, we were able to change the terrain on the fly without a batch file so you could just use the same map and change the terrain to a darker setting every other turn if you really wanted to. You don't need an extra map and you probably wouldn't want an extra map for this sort of thing as you'd want the map to stay persistent with unit placement, etc. no?

I mean scope creep is a real thing so don't let me pull your arm but this might be something that's less trouble than you think to implement for this current scenario and wouldn't require the player to exit every turn, either.

Top Bottom