[TOT] Test of Time Technical Poster Missing

Blake00

CFC Mod Archivist & Social Media Helper
Supporter
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a place online where there's a scanned copy of the Civ2 Test of Time technical poster that has the tech trees and unit lists for the fantasy, scifi and extended scenarios?

Someone has asked me to show it's unit list to them and I can't find one anywhere on google. CFC has the ToT Terrain booklet and all the MGE Civ2 posters but not the ToT poster.

I recently acquired a physical copy of it off ebay that's in excellent condition so if no one comes forward with a copy online perhaps I can scan it and fix the problem myself! But I'm not going to waste my time if it's already here somewhere!

Last edited:
It would be an interesting contribution to the community to upload to the forum.

Hey guys,

I recently acquired a physical copy of it off ebay that's in excellent condition so if no one comes forward with a copy online perhaps I can scan it and fix the problem myself! But I'm not going to waste my time if it's already here somewhere!

Since no one has done this, I'll order another copy, slice it an scan it. I did a quick scan from my copy but the poster is two large to copy conveniently on an A4 scanner.

Since no one has done this, I'll order another copy, slice it an scan it. I did a quick scan from my copy but the poster is two large to copy conveniently on an A4 scanner.

Nah don't worry about butchering a nice one mate. After I didn't hear anything here I took my poster into work as there's a big A3 scanner there and like you I realised very quickly that this was not going to happen in my little A4 scanner at home as the poster is massive and double sided. Plus the work one is better at stopping light bleed-in, is sharper regardless of DPI settings and seems to pick up colours better than home scanners.

I figured each side equaled 4 lots of A3 pages so 8 scans and I'd be done. However it turns out it was even bigger forcing me to do 3x3 instead of 2x2 per side meaning I had to delicately shove this giant f*ing poster (bent in different ways) into the scanner 18 friggin times lol. Good thing I waited until everyone left the office as I looked ridiculous with this thing, as sometimes I'd have half the poster in the scanner and other half draped over my head so I could see the touchscreen lol!!!

So of course now I've got 18 big 35MB picture files I've gotta flip, rotate and stitch together which is not going to be fun lol. I don't think I'm going to get to it this weekend as my focus is on finishing the very last of the preservation project MGE uploads as I really wanna hit that milestone this weekend. So I'll probably sort this ToT poster stuff out next weekend!

Last edited:
Okay done!

I've finished sticking together all the scans for both sides, converted to a high quality PDF file and have uploaded the ToT Technical poster to both CFC and Archive org here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civilization-ii-test-of-time-technical-poster.29855/
https://archive.org/details/civ2-tot-tech-poster/mode/1up

I've also 7zipped the original giant PNG files I fed into the PDF and uploaded them that archive org page too, should anyone want them.

Oh and I also took the old CFC MGE JPG files and converted them to a high quality PDF file for both places too:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/reso...-ultimate-edition-mge-technical-poster.29856/
https://archive.org/details/civ-2-tech-poster/mode/1up

Last edited:
I hope folks here now realize why I was blown away by the one I got with the game, and promptly trotted over to Staples to ask them to laminate it. Of course since it's double-sided I've never hung it up as art, but I think that if anyone had two copies, it's worthy of hanging as art. :)

Ops sorry mate, I was just following @Mercator 's example as you can see below that he uploaded a bunch of other ToT extras as PDF's to the reference files section years ago.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/categories/civ2-tot-reference-files.100/

oh wow.. would you believe I've NEVER ever been in the gallery section of this site, either I never noticed it or I just assumed it only had screenshots of people's games and didn't bother to check it out. Didn't realise it was being used for other media like box covers and posters. I see it supports video embedding too which is interesting considering my ongoing work there.

Anyway I'm guessing a gallery submission needs to be a pure image file (ie not PDF), but not too massive though (eg a 50MB image lol)? If so that makes it a bit difficult for getting something like this just right without too much damage so I'll have to do some experimenting as scanned images are famously terrible for compression due to all the 'noise'. The reason I went the pdf route was because it's a double sided poster (meaning 2 pages in the one file instead of 2 separate split ones), and using my adobe acrobat PDF suite at work I was able to apply some special image compression not normally available to me with my various paint programs that resulted in the visual lossless quality of a PNG but not the 50MB file size, and the tiny file size of a JPG but none of the yucky visual lossy compression artefacts you get with them.

Top Bottom