Thai boys lost in Tham Luang cave system

• Four of the Thai SEALS. The masks are to protect their identities, I suppose:
    Spoiler :
I thought that was to prevent accidentally exposing the boys to any illnesses while their bodies are already highly stressed. Could be wrong. Also seems futile.

We have seen team photos of the kids before they were trapped, so it is not to
protect their identities. It is to protect them from infection (as they are in a
weakened state) and to prevent possible infection of other people. Nasty
bacteria and fungi are found in caves that are home to bats, rats, and many
species of insects.

Cave Rescue: The Dangerous Diseases Lurking Underground
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180710-thai-cave-the-dangerous-diseases-you-can-catch-in-caves

I was reading this article about a massive mostly unexplored cave system in the mountains of Georgia (the country) and I decided I don't ever really want to go cave exploring. This whole saga with the Thai boys hasn't inclined me to change that determination.

I thought that was to prevent accidentally exposing the boys to any illnesses while their bodies are already highly stressed. Could be wrong. Also seems futile.
We have seen team photos of the kids before they were trapped, so it is not to
protect their identities. It is to protect them from infection (as they are in a
weakened state) and to prevent possible infection of other people.

The picture in question shows the SEALS wearing the masks, and SEALS typically do protect their identity. They are outside, they could have removed their masks for the picture if they wanted their identities known.

Edit: Before people say "I have known some SEALS", as I have known some too....That there is a difference between trying to score with a girl by saying you are a SEAL or telling your drinking buddy about you being a SEAL....
and declaring that to millions of people world-wide by allowing the press to take a picture of you stating you are a SEAL.

Last edited:
A pity they can't go to see the game. Boys watching World Cup final in Moscow would make a nice happy ending to all the story.

I dunno watching the French Win again makes me sad face though.

The picture in question shows the SEALS wearing the masks, and SEALS typically do protect their identity. They are outside, they could have removed their masks for the picture if they wanted their identities known.

Thanks for that. I agree that it is essential to keep some SEAL's identities
secret, but there are many who are easily identified. For example, the
comrades of the brave man who died during the rescue.

I still think it is to avoid breathing in nasty fungi and/or bacteria during
that mission. Outside the cave they would have to find somewhere to dispose of
the masks because the fabric would be covered with the nasties. It would be
easier and more prudent to keep them on until then.
We're both guessing though. :)
moreseals.JPG

Attachments

• seals.jpg
    seals.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 35
I read in the paper this morning.......It's going to be made into a movie. Gee didn't see that coming. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So the lead diver (a british expat that runs a diving school in Thailand) made a snarky remark about Elon Musk's submarine. He basically said it wouldn't have worked, that he was a distraction at best to the overall effort and that he could stick his submarine where the sun don't shine. Elon's response?

He publicly called the lead diver a pedophile.

So the lead diver (a british expat that runs a diving school in Thailand) made a snarky remark about Elon Musk's submarine. He basically said it wouldn't have worked, that he was a distraction at best to the overall effort and that he could stick his submarine where the sun don't shine. Elon's response?

He publicly called the lead diver a pedophile.
It seems Elon must have got his period. That would explain the rationale of his thinking atm.

Moderator Action: Warned for inappropriate language. Be mindful that there are people here who might be offended by that type of remark. --LM
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
I read in the paper this morning.......It's going to be made into a movie. Gee didn't see that coming

It's a pretty exciting story, I admit I was always keeping tabs on this story. A pretty good outcome except for one diver. The problem with this being a movie is it would be awkward to cast Tom Hanks as a Thai diver. :lol: Or Tom Cruise. Could a movie with a largely Asian cast even succeed in this country? Not that it matters, if it pulls in enough money in Asia, it doesn't matter if it flops here.

It's a pretty exciting story, I admit I was always keeping tabs on this story. A pretty good outcome except for one diver. The problem with this being a movie is it would be awkward to cast Tom Hanks as a Thai diver. :lol: Or Tom Cruise. Could a movie with a largely Asian cast even succeed in this country? Not that it matters, if it pulls in enough money in Asia, it doesn't matter if it flops here.

Donnie Yen has suitably broken into the Hollywood market. Chinese, but for the west that's "close enough".

If Scarlett Johanson was ok to play major Kusanagi, then there should be no problems with these kids being saved by Bruce Willis either.

Pffffft!!!! Make all roles in the movie played by Scarlett Johanson. Kinda like Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor.

US marines (along with some token british ones) happen to be in the area when this happens, and offer to be part of it. Subplot: saving those asian kids changes the way the protagonist thinks about life :yup:

Come to think of it, if there are intricate enough caves in the US, they can just move the overall setting there as well.

Was he crazy all along or is he cracking only recently, I wonder...

The brilliant ones usually are.

Top Bottom