The 2000 Hour Club...

So, you're saying I've spent almost half that time playing civ.... sounds about right :lol:

If you sleep 8 hours a night, you have a little over 11300 hours left. You spent 8000 of those playing Civ? So, does that mean you play Civ with friends? Do you not engage in a social life? Don't you work? How is this possible? :D

I'm nearly at 1200 hours myself. I only got to that because of a chronic illness keeping me inside for a long time after the game launched, and one of my friends loves playing it too.
Fatigue has set in right now though, mainly because I can't afford a pc that lets me play maps larger than small comfortably : / Can't wait to sometime play a huge map... Now that would be something.

756... Waiting for some new content to increase that number.
I reached 1382 in Civ V, but many of those were waiting for the game to start, or waiting for mods to load (especially if a mod crashed).

As of last night, I hit 1300. I love the game, but personal life takes up so much time.
Good news, the wife is going to her mom's in Winnipeg on Wednesday for 10 days, more Civ for me.

I am over 3000 hours. Do you only let in people with over 2000 hours in this club?
I want in!

Some people meditate.
I play Civ6.
Spoiler :
Meditate2.jpg

Over 3 months without log in the game due to many bugs, ex:
- Permanent open border with former AI allies https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/1-0-0-257-alliance-open-border-is-permanent.632710/
- Being friend and foe at the same time https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...dship-accepted-but-is-actually-at-war.637113/
- Rebel city with garrisoned unit (at least there is a mod to fix it!)
- Great works missing upon city fall https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/palace-great-works-disappear-when-capital-is-captured.634312/
- WORLD BUILDER is incomplete.
* Quite boring end-game

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 76
If you sleep 8 hours a night, you have a little over 11300 hours left. You spent 8000 of those playing Civ? So, does that mean you play Civ with friends? Do you not engage in a social life? Don't you work? How is this possible? :D

I'm nearly at 1200 hours myself. I only got to that because of a chronic illness keeping me inside for a long time after the game launched, and one of my friends loves playing it too.
Fatigue has set in right now though, mainly because I can't afford a pc that lets me play maps larger than small comfortably : / Can't wait to sometime play a huge map... Now that would be something.

I am on long-term disability so no, not much of a social life, although I do have a gf. I mostly play public MP.

hmm I'm at 839 hours currently so I've still got a ways to go. My Civ V playtime was 964. Civ BE is 76 hours. Those are the only games I have on Steam.

If I remember correctly my playtime in WoW was 400+ days before I quit and that was only on my main character. There is a countless army of alts I had which probably ups that playtime by another couple hundreds of days or so.

I'm only at 226 hours on Civ VI. Had 312 hours on Civ V. But I play a number of games though so my time is split. I added 6 more hours to Civ VI last night though. I'll not likely ever reach these majestic heights however.

I am on long-term disability so no, not much of a social life, although I do have a gf. I mostly play public MP.

Thank you for answering candidly : ) I'm happy you can find joy and distraction in Civ.

I've played something like 2800 hours on Civ6 and 1900 on Civ5. I don't mind the hours because I enjoy playing it and a lot of my friends pour countless hours into playing every release of champ man, FIFA and COD for the last 10 years. I might give it a bit of a break until a new expansion or new DLC civs comes out though as I feel I've done everything.

The last few weeks I've been playing sniper elite 4, for honor and various platform games on the PS4.

Last night when I checked I was at 2,066 hours played. I would have had more time in, but when I first got the game I so disliked the horrible UI that I did not play the game until the month of March after the release. Then one day I figured as long as I bought it I would force myself to play it...later discovered the modded UI's like CQUI. Oh my gosh, the nightmare basic UI would be no more. I could never understand how the User Interface took so many steps backwards from V to VI.

Pretty much the only game I'm playing at the moment. As I don't have a good setup to play more "action orientated" games as I'm currently using a recliner and can't effectively use both the keyboard and mouse. I keep meaning to get some kind of tv tray and try that. I like that this game can be played nearly entirely using a mouse (other than me renaming save games and such). For now it's important for me to keep my legs stretched out due to above mentioned problems with DVT; that and the sweet Eliquis as well. I'm now closing in on 1800 hours.

Last edited:
Still don't get the UI hate... In fact its CQUI which gives me a headache.

Somewhere in Florida, TheMeInTeam's ears just perked up.

Nah, he's too busy in the OT forum railing against the general silliness in the world, which also includes as it so happens terrible UI design. He made several longish posts about it which are pretty good so I'll just quote him to save time.

FIraxis has several major, specific UI deficiencies in recent games:
  1. You need to do far more inputs than is necessary to accomplish the same thing. It's to the extent where managing 50 cities in Civ 4 is substantially faster than 20 cities 5 or 6. By several minutes per turn (2-3 times slower at least in mid-late game in the newer games). Civ 4 wasn't perfectly optimized in that regard, but it's glaring how much more straightforward and fast it was, despite the newer games being allegedly "streamlined". You lose hours/game on this stuff (I used to make videos, and have actually recorded the difference).
  2. The UI is inaccurate (displays information different from what will happen). Concrete example: game shows you'll make a ranged attack, your unit instead moves towards target and does not.
  3. The UI fails to present the rules of the game in a way that players can constrain anticipation of what will happen. In a strategy game, this is degenerate. Concrete example: how war weariness works.
Civ 4 had some of these issues too, to a less extreme extent than the newer titles. For example the game would average opinion if you had vassals, but the game's UI didn't display this and would therefore display false information. Heck, prior to a patch the combat odds were on rare occasions wrong :).

1. It can avoid making players spend several hours to complete the game longer than a good UI.
  2. It can avoid lying to players about what will happen.
  3. It can accurately constrain anticipation of the game's rules to what the game actually allows.
In contrast to something like a "good strategy game UI", these are not things that other games can't manage. Even in the context of the Civ franchise, it has regressed on these points.

I'm not sure perked up is the right phrase. It's saddening that the market has gone so doormat that Civ 6 has a worse UI by objective measures than games 20 years ago and yet this isn't a serious issue for its sales. This game's UI is grossly inadequate and yet you still see multiple people claim they don't see the issue...even after posts like the one where I was just quoted.

Firaxis and Paradox both have active disregard for end user experience when it comes to physically playing the game and it's perplexing that the loss of respect for them over this isn't more universal. Apparently straight up lying UI, hidden rules, and hours more rote inputs/game than necessary (all objective measures) just don't matter to a large chunk of the player base, because it's not like people could actually refute these statements.

Though I mistyped in the quote above UI vs AI on the last line. My point is that I've yet to see a great AI in a strategy game, but much better UIs have existed from the mid 1990s until today. After improving significantly for Civ 4, Firaxis apparently forgot how and never tried again.

Last edited:
Civ4 UI wasn't that great. You had to remember all the keyboard shortcuts which I could never remember. I only remember a couple of of them like pressing alt when upgrading units. Problem with that is if you didn't have enough money you had no say which units were upgraded.

I still don't have many problems with Civ6 UI. But I did mention in a reports screen thread that it would be nice to bring up the resources reports screen when the AI offers you a deal. Should be some way to tab into that. Another problem I had my last game was trying to find artifact dig sites and shipwrecks. That was kind of a nightmare with England who needs to find a lot of them. I believe CQUI highlights these things, but in general I find highlighting to be offensive and annoying (like the old religion lens, not that the new one is much better). So I choose not to use CQUI.

Civ4 UI wasn't that great. You had to remember all the keyboard shortcuts which I could never remember. I only remember a couple of of them like pressing alt when upgrading units. Problem with that is if you didn't have enough money you had no say which units were upgraded.

I still don't have many problems with Civ6 UI. But I did mention in a reports screen thread that it would be nice to bring up the resources reports screen when the AI offers you a deal. Should be some way to tab into that. Another problem I had my last game was trying to find artifact dig sites and shipwrecks. That was kind of a nightmare with England who needs to find a lot of them. I believe CQUI highlights these things, but in general I find highlighting to be offensive and annoying (like the old religion lens, not that the new one is much better). So I choose not to use CQUI.

From a number of inputs perspective and clarity perspective, Civ 4 is strictly better than Civ 6 and it's not close.

That said, I agree Civ 4 wasn't great. It was just the only title in the series where the UI demonstrated at least some developer effort to consider end user experience.

Another problem I had my last game was trying to find artifact dig sites and shipwrecks. That was kind of a nightmare with England who needs to find a lot of them. I believe CQUI highlights these things, but in general I find highlighting to be offensive and annoying (like the old religion lens, not that the new one is much better). So I choose not to use CQUI.
CQUI integrates Astog's More Lenses, so you can subscribe to it separately. Lenses like the religion one, which kick on by default in the base game when a religious unit is selected can be set not to fire. It really makes finding artifacts immensely easier to find.

Top Bottom