The AI lies. Big time.

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
You say 'stop converting my cities' and they say 'ok, we won't do it anymore' and they KEEP ON DOING IT.

WTF.

I'm tired of religious wars. They detract from my more profitable wars.

Well, have you ever told a leader that you'd do something then broke your word? We all do it. Like in my last game, I told Japan that I would stop bullying city-states under its protection, and ten turns later I invaded Tyre and Manila and took both. Everybody lies, you just have to be the best liar.

Nothing new, the AI has done that since G&K added religions. (And before then it does the same basic thing in Vanilla)

Either have an Inquistor / or unit block / or pick two follower beliefs that are both religious buildings so you don't care if the religion changes after you've built both.

Speaking of the AI lying, when the AI shares intrigue with me about someone plotting to attack me, it almost never happens.

The ai does lie about religious wars. You can always make a declaration of war and then capture all the missionaries when they are trying to convert your cities. Then, you can move them elsewhere and have them sleep somewhere else in another civilization so that they could get destroyed from attrition. Or you could explore with them, also.

Speaking of the AI lying, when the AI shares intrigue with me about someone plotting to attack me, it almost never happens.

Plotting =/= attacking, much of the time.

Plotting may mean they are planning to attack you, or it may mean that they are going to vote to hurt you in Congress, spy on you, and so on.

You may message from a friendly civ saying that a civ is moving an army toward your borders. THEN you will be attacked within a few turns.

What really bugs me is hypocrite AI. Warmongers denouncing me for capping a city (even if I did not provoke the war to begin with) or even an 'ally' in a cooperative war denouncing me for fighting with them against their enemy. WTF?

They all lie and backstab to some degree, but the "stop converting my cities" button is so very very worthless. I've never once had an AI stop trying to convert my cities, and every CS on the continent.

The AI in this game overvalues religion so hard.

They all lie and backstab to some degree, but the "stop converting my cities" button is so very very worthless. I've never once had an AI stop trying to convert my cities, and every CS on the continent.

The AI in this game overvalues religion so hard.

In my experience the "stop converting my cities" thing works for a handful of turns, but eventually they screw you over. But I believe there's a chance it may get you a delay.

It's because (as has been said many times) the AI doesn't get cause and effect. If it understood that to do so could provoke war, it would perform the same calc as when it is determining whether you are a military threat or not; however, it just assesses whether it can convert a city with no regard to consequence.

So a better discuss/reply option for this kind of interaction would be along the lines of "If you do [whatever] I will DOW you"

Sometimes the benefit of converting your city outweighs all possible considerations at that point. In one game Indonesia just had to convert one of my cities with a GP that resulted in him getting 300 :c5science: To me that was a half a turns worth to Indonesia it was probably 5 turns worth, even though i could kill the GP with the city bombardment in 1 turn.

As mentioned earlier the AI doesn't comprehend cause and effect and it doesn't remember. I think the exception to this is Citadel bombing, the AI only does this if it's hostile(wants to DOW and will DOW if given the chance) towards you

Actually, I think that a big part of that may be because you build up your defenses in response to that. The AI likes to attack your cities if they're in a convenient location for them, and you're being relaxed about their defenses.

When I first started out I had a tendency of doing "take-sie back-sie"s and going back to previous autosaves if the crap was hitting the fan and I felt that if I had done just one thing differently I'd be fine (I don't do that anymore though). And I'd noticed that when in the original timeline I'd gotten the crap kicked out of a city off of an ambush, if I had just built up the defenses earlier, they wouldn't even bother going after the city.

But anyway, to the original topic. I prefer it when the diplomatic promises are automatic as much as possible. It's too difficult to have understands and reputations with AI. It serves its intended purposes much better when there are automatic consequences or when options are just blacked out when promises are made (like peace treaties, trade agreements, and things like that). Because in real life unscrupulous nations can go back on their word on neither anything, but it's nice to keep things simple for the purposes of strategy.

The ai is almost always thinking of killing you, especially on the higher difficulties.

The AI lies in gnk but in bnw.. it is still unknown whether the ai lies or not.. When it comes to religious wars, ais can lie all they want because they simple have the power to do it. That's why you have to stop the ai from having so much power and make ai pay for its lies.

"Plotting" means the AI is in DECEPTIVE stance towards you; thus, it is lying about his diplo attitude (fake "Friendly" or "Neutral"), and hiding some/all of the negative modifiers.

When a spy uncovers an upcoming attack, sometimes with target city included, now that is for real, but also not definitive; AI dynamically evaluates the situation, so if it has launched the denounced attack but something in the strategic landscape changes en route, it can and will change plans and cancel the attack. For example, if you react to the uncovering of the sneak attack by shifting forces to the target, which the attacking AI then finds, re-evaluates chances of success, and heads back home.

All this from the dll code.

The conversion is really annoying at times. Generally it doesn't worry me as I build their monasteries or whatever and then convert my city back. I normally select Messiah or Holy orders if possible to make my missionaries and inquisitors that little bit cheaper.

However, this game the Ottomans have just been constantly been converting my cities. I got to the stage that I told him to take a hike and he agreed not to send prophets. Five turns later he converts another city.

What as got me though is how he has so many Great Prophets. He constantly has three Great Prophets within my borders. As he is converting other cities as well as mine the number he must have produced (given that I have converted mine back any number of times) would be astounding.

So do other players. Plus, have you ever lied to an AI?
The one AI who's lied to me routinely is Dido. She's plopped down cities next to mine just to annoy me. :shifty:

Top Bottom