The Always War Challenge #3 - Ethiopia Deity

Yeah, in a challenge like this where it's all war all the time it's very likely that a Deity map would take multiple attempts to beat and there's no shame in that. The hardest map I have ever beaten was old Deity Challenge #7 with the notoriously brutal Fall Patch G&K AI. I think everyone who actually beat that map took multiple tries. Not surprisingly, your neighbors there were also Rome and Persia :lol:

The weaker AI in BNW means there's probably not a lot of maps that aren't beatable on the first try unless you get extremely bad luck of, say, spawning on flatland next to Attila/Shaka who consumes all your attention while a runaway Korea/Poland/etc is on the other side of the map and you can't stop them. But in a challenge like this there's no shame in trying multiple times. :)

100 Turns and Resigned :)

Spoiler :
I thought 100 turns was a good number to end this on. Nice and Clean. Even though we all could press on and achieve longer turn times I for one had enough at turn 100! I tried to hyper expand going Full Liberty but as Acken had instructed me that I was most likely going to bankrupt my empire which is what happend for about 15 turns or so. I decided to take out the two CS's close by because I didn't want them causing me trouble. I knew El Dorado was to the North and I found it on turn 3 getting the free settler. When I finished Liberty I knew I was going to resign so I took a GM to help with my gold problem that I settled on a farm. Tough land since not too many gold hexes and all plains pretty much making this game even more difficult. However, you do have a lot of space so you might be able to turtle for awhile before you launch an attack! I may retry it with another approach in the future. I was fifth in Army until Persia reduced me to my current size!

Religion: MoG, Tithe, Pagodas, Rel Community, and Rel Texts.

B.O. Stele, warrior (unfinished), Settler, Mostly Archers until I could build a Market and I did build another settler to go settle the sugar beside Persia.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

From YOUR screenshot, F.A., I don't understand why you resigned. Looks like you have done quite well?

No offence intended, since I think you're probably one of the best players out there, but with 90BPT at T146, I don't think you'll be going anywhere :D

Nice revenge though!!! :thumbsup:

If you can pull this off Acken, it will be something of a miracle. I may even call The Pope and recommend you for Beatification. :D

From YOUR screenshot, F.A., I don't understand why you resigned. Looks like you have done quite well?

I think I lost something like 75-80% of my troops because I rushed into Persia a little bit too fast. The last time I played against Persia I made the same mistake and of course 4-6 Immortals show up from the rear to just wipe one out! I could of lasted very long but I think it was just a matter of time before I was 20-25% behind from going bankrupt and having no science for about 15 turns. Eventually I think my lights would of been out. I had 0 Libraries up at turn 100, Used my Liberty Finisher for a GM and planted him instead of getting a GE for NC. Also I didn't want to play to turn 130-160 just because I could. I think the game was more of a test game for me and I might go back and finish or maybe even try a replay since it is allowed to improve on Defeated/Resigned Turn times.

Edit: Second Attempt 0-70

Spoiler :
Edit: I think I lost my turn 100 save on the original attempt so I reloaded the game and started from turn 0. Of course with map knowledge things are much easier. I decided to try to settle the Capital beside El Dorado and got some early faith/culture rolling after taking +4 faith one with nature. I was thinking about a 2 city Full Honor game and try to take out Persia asap but I decided to try something a little safer... 4 city Tradition with an NC on track for about turn 85-95. If this doesn't work out too good I may yet again try another replay from turn 0 going with 2 city Full Honor instead. On this game I have DOWed the nearby CSs multiple times getting gold for pillage and free workers.

Instead of using the 500 gold for a settler I decided to rush buy a Stele getting the pantheon on the next turn. I also bought some hexes and hard built 3 settlers instead.

B.O. Rush Buy Stele, Scout, 3x Settler, Granary, Library, Archer

Religion : One with Nature, Tithe, Holy Warriors

SPs : Full Tradition completed on turn 65.

Screenshot

Spoiler :

Got to say, this is the most fun I've had against the AI since... probably ever. Challenging for sure. On my second attempt, I'm having some success... Been able to hold off the attackers with very high level crossbows for the time being.

Haven't really been able to push through due to the constant stream of units from all sides though. It all comes down to whether or not I'll be able to get ahead in tech and beat them to research labs while being able to defend on all fronts... Happiness has been challenging to keep up and GPT is starting to become an issue as well. Done for today but I'll continue it later.

Screenshot:
Spoiler :

Quick recap:
Spoiler :
Got the 500 gold from the wonder, started with a scout to meet the two closest city states for extra gold and some faith, then a Stele. Teched straight into Masonry to rush Mausoleum and went full Tradition into Honour. Scouted as little as possible to delay meeting the enemies, as I feel they start throwing units at me much later if they don't meet me right away. Decided to try out a 2 city National College this time along with Oracle while waiting for library in the expand. Killed Florence with comp bows because in my first game they attacked me with a massive army that was more devastating than any of the actual AIs. After that, just aimed for university/public school techs while making enough crossbows to survive with generals and extra XP from Honour.

This sounds interesting...

Seems really hard though. I will give it a try this week.

Alright Fellas...

I updated the Leaderboards for the AWC series. You can find them under the AWC Leaderboard section under Deity & Immortal Leaderboards. It is kinda funny since if you get Defeated you get to be ahead of someone who Resigns and the higher your turn time number the better. However, if you achieve Victory you are obviously on top with the lowest turn time number in front and Domination trumps all other Victories.

And the rationale behind this is...? Seems like semantics to me. When I resigned I had lost my capital and there was no way I was going to take it back, so that is technically a defeat. You are asking us to play it out until absolute defeat? Why not just let people resign since in that case they are making a choice to accept a lower finish time rather than dragging out an inevitable defeat.

While I appreciate the stirling (and completely unrewarded) work that F.A. does collecting statistics for his site, I really don't see the point in collecting information about resignations and defeats for this series. I could have continued another 200 turns, most likely. But what's the point?

I'd be curious to see how you did on the Immortal map. I'm not sure this is beatable on Deity AND Pangaea.

If you're referring to me, I haven't played any of the other AWC maps cuz I haven't liked them very much. I think Immortal would be a breeze, though. In my Siam DCL game I was at war with the whole world for most of the time, and when I wasn't it was just for the sake of accepting peace so I could check them off the list. I had no benefit from the peace and could easily have kept them at war. On Immortal I don't need trade or lux whatsoever. It was an easy map, but just sayin....

I only play maps that I think are interesting enough, like most people probably.

As for whether an AWC is beatable on Deity, I'm sure it would be if the following conditions were met:-

- Scouts can meet everyone without dying
- You can hold onto alliances with the CS that are near you
- The AIs are near enough to be killed with one foul swoop but not breathing down your neck

etc etc

But the point is, if we start tweaking maps so we can win it defeats the challenge. I chose this map because you're in the middle and you have defensive bonuses and maybe there could be some strategies borne out of religion, but I didn't know about ED, and I didn't see that Darius was breathing down your neck.

But anyway, if this map can't be beaten, I'd personally rather not play around too much with settings that allow one to win the AWC for its own sake. Playing on Small Continents and having Venice as a neighbour is like playing a Duel map against Venice on Deity and overrunning him with Horse Archers just to unlock 'Flawless Strategy'.

And the rationale behind this is...? Seems like semantics to me. When I resigned I had lost my capital and there was no way I was going to take it back, so that is technically a defeat. You are asking us to play it out until absolute defeat? Why not just let people resign since in that case they are making a choice to accept a lower finish time rather than dragging out an inevitable defeat.

Agreed. My capital wasn't really even in danger(I had been very aggressive with horses to stop any Settlers from getting near my capital which helped a lot) but I could tell I was just not in a position to actually win it.

I think the rationale is pretty simple. I am not trying to make anything complex. I am pretty sure I have made things very simple and also very forgiving. This series encourages replays or even reloads. Reloads are one thing that I personally choose not to do.

I have always been willing to listen to any new ideas and change old ideas accordingly. As usual, I allow the players to decide the best course of action. I agree that when you lose your capital it should be considered the same as being defeated. However, when a player plays till the victory screen they get a victory, on said turn like... 325. Now... if the player plays up to turn 300, controlling 6 capitals and knows for sure he is going to win, they do not get credit for winning the turn on 300 or maybe even 200 when the player had clear control of the game. Back on the AWC #2 China Immortal game it was clear that I had won the game before turn 100 but I needed to complete the game all the way till turn 335 to achieve Victory and post up a Domination VC on turn 335. The same applies to the Defeated screen. If a player plays until they get to the Defeated screen they will get rewarded a higher position on the Leaderboard because they actually played till the game showed the Victory or Defeated Screens.

These Leaderboards are more about having fun and trying to give players something for actually participating in threads that are for Single Player Games. We do not get anything for being on the boards no matter if you are number 1 or number 10. This is a unique board and has unique rules compared to the standard boards. This Leaderboard (IMO) is something special and unique in that a player actually gets a reward for losing which is rare in our society. If this Leaderboard survives you will only see Victory Turn times for the top ten players and this Leaderboard will be like all the others in the past and lose its uniqueness in general.

However, I am willing to listen to arguments for both sides and am willing to figure a way out of how to put "loss of capital" above resignation. Although if a player plays onto the Defeat or Victory Screen those turn times will be ahead of all other turn times.

An example is my own turn time and post on the Leaderboard on my first attempt. I could of played onto turn 150 or more perhaps but resigned at turn 100, thus, I was placed on the bottom of the board. The same goes for if I lost my capital. I could play on a few more turns but I would choose to resign and be placed on the board accordingly. In reality, I am playing for Victory. I want to be on the board listed as a Victory and it does not matter what position I am on if I was Defeated or Resigned in my mind.

While I appreciate the stirling (and completely unrewarded) work that F.A. does collecting statistics for his site, I really don't see the point in collecting information about resignations and defeats for this series. I could have continued another 200 turns, most likely. But what's the point?

There really is no point fellas. Not really much point playing this game day after day, year after year in general. The only point is to give players some reward for participation, hoping to create a larger player base for all SP series threads. The whole point about Defeated and Resgined turn times is because we have not seen any Victories for Deity AWC and I figure it will be some time before we do. I came up with a way to list players on the Boards until we have 10 players who achieve Victory and by that time Resigned or Defeated turn times will not matter. A player does not have to play on because they want to leap frog another player on the Defeated or Resigned list. The whole point is to achieve Victory but it was necessary to track players on the Boards for the time being until we have 10 Victories so the Defeated/Resigned Rules were implemented and seem very logical to me that a Defeated turn time would be ahead of a Resigned turn time since that player actually completed the game down to the Defeated Screen the same way a player plays down won games till they see the Victory screen. An example is the # 20 Spain DCL. I was ready to call it a win at turn 140 and not complete the game till I had a Victory because I seen it was going to be a very easy Victory but would take another 100-150 turns. If I did not complete that game... would I of been on the current Spreadsheet?? Of course not, I only get credit for the finish if I finish and see the Victory Screen. The same applies for the Defeated/Resigned Rules for the AWC Deity Leaderboard.

This Series/Leaderboard is an experiment and if this series survives and the Leaderboard stays active, I do not think you will have to worry about Resigned or Defeated turn times because I am pretty sure we will only see 10 players with Victory finish times. If any player is unhappy with current position on the Leaderboard or unhappy with how they are listed on the Leaderboard they may always replay the game trying to achieve Victory or an improved turn time which will warrant an increase in position on said leaderboard!

I was wondering which tree was best before starting...

Then i realized that worker steals will be a huge pain because i can't DoW and steal on same turn. The AI always move first so he will hide workers as soon as he can see me.

So i decided to go Liberty this time.

Spoiler :
Moved warrior north and found ELDORADO!!! Picked +2 faith from quarries for my pantheon. Bought a settler and got 1 from Liberty for a total of 3 cities. Rushed Stonehenge for more faith and engi point but lost it by 2 turns. Not bad though because i could use the fail gold to upgrade some archers.

Rushed Construction after Calendar and put an army near borders of Persia land(approx 4 CBs, 3 archers and 2 melee unit around the turn 65. He built the GW in his 2nd city and 3 turns later i got that same city :goodjob: Pretty good news i must say.

Finished the NC in capital around 85 and finally took Persia's capital some turns later. And here where i am...

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

As you can see my gold production is very low due to Liberty's viruses, large army and no possibility to trade. But the good new is that i can get a free ge later and rush Machu Picchu. So from this point i will raise gold and get Machinery later to expand more.

First game, complete and utter defeat on turn 173. Tried to go 4 cities with Tradition with the hope of simply holding out for science. First 100-120 turns was fine...then Persia came in like a wrecking ball up north and trashed my two northern cities. Went downhill from there.

Knights vs Composite Bowmen did not go well. Needed some Pikemen at a minimum.

Oddly enough the surrounding CITY STATES were more of a problem than anything else -- had things like 4 Knights coming from the south from Geneva, half a dozen units from the east from Antnahkdhisd or whatever, and Florence kept trying to bother me too. That was a big reason I couldn't defend against Persia as effectively.

Continued last session :

Spoiler :
1 persian city was remaining north. I couldnt let him there and let him pillage my tiles while my army was away. Also, i needed more XP for my troops. So i decided to whipe him out. And into an always war game, who cares if they completely disappear after all?

Unfortunately he didn't improve his whales. Managed to ally my first cs a bit later, a military one, which is perfect for that kind of game. Added a city like suggested in my last post.

Built Mausoleum of Holicarnacus in capital. Wanted Machu Picchu but that wonder has been built before i could reach the tech. So i have wait to get into the med. era and built Oracle to open Commerce.

Harrassing Polynesia atm. He's the biggest threat so far. #1 in almost all stats, i have to find a way to kill him. If i succeed my chances to win this game will considerably raise. Moved to Machinery and thinking about a plan...probably a junk city with double citadel boost into his territory can be something interesting to do...the other civs to the right seems staying on idle so i will concentrate to west side first i guess.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I think Tabarnak's city placement is interesting. One nice thin strip N-S. My cities were E-W, which probably made it harder. Great decision-making is the hallmark of a good player, I suppose. I wonder if he made it consciously or subconsciously? :)

Top Bottom