The American President is facing impeachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: Well, I have a cat that I've never liked particularly...

Anyway, going back to what I said previously, it was only coincidence that the American president was facing impeachment. It can happen with any civ running Universal Suffrage, yes?

Actually, a meteor of sufficient size would melt the Earth's crust and kill all life on the Earth, forcing life to "start over" evolutionarily. That would be an "end of the world," and it would be natural, too.

In any case, now that Greenland is all ice-covered, the fact that it is getting warmer is a problem, because that ice-melt being dumped into the oceans is not good for said oceans.

How can you determine what is "Good" for the oceans? What I think you mean to say is that it's not good for us, as humans and as a civilization. Animals will adapt and change to the ocean's composition but as a civilization, built around coasts, we face serious problems. The Earth is in no danger of dieing or being destroyed, it is we that have the problem because we don't like to move around/change/deal with a new world.

Animals will adapt and change to the ocean's composition but as a civilization, built around coasts, we face serious problems.
We're just as capable of adapting as any other animal. And vice versa.

WOW, this went way to deep for me. i'm going back to my game and having fun.

In all seriousness the American President thing is pretty funny and yea while it would be nice to see other cultural/political events from other countries, America remains the country which contains at least a plurality if not outright majority of owners of CIV4; no offense to the rest of the world it is simply a numbers game, 300,000,000 population is significant. In any case, as was said there was a French one about the Monarchy. Furthermore it has been obvious of a political slant in these games for a long time; especially if anyone saw the bush videos before Warlorlds release. It is not significant but it is noticible if you have an eye for the topic. That said i seem to find that the jokes that are made, wheter the left or the right bare the brunt of such joke is hillarious. We must all remember that it is just a game, we are in it to have fun and blow off an afternoon while we forget about that essay we were supposed to be doing instead. And finally, as far as the global warming topic goes, i just think that it is riddiculous, Lexicus, how you dont feel that there are any legitimate points to be made on the other side of the issue. Whether you like it or not there are always at least two sides to just about every issue. Also, no issue is ever political but every issue can be made as such. The termination of a pregnancy is a medical issue, an ethical issue,a religous issue,etc. It has nothing to due with poitics at its core. That said abortion is one the most crucial and divisive political issues of our day because it has been transfprmed into one by politicans to get votes. Same thing with Global Warming. I also find it troubling that people like you, those who fail to recognize any validity in the oposing argument have hijaked the Democratic Party and it is one of the reasons i did not register under said party, although i do consider myself on those libertarians you spoke of earlier. You should't bad mouth us, socially we believe in much of the same things. that said, and in conclusion, I recomend that everyone just get over it. Yes, jokes will be made, some we will not like but realistically just get over it. Its good for you

It can happen with any civ running Universal Suffrage, yes?

Nope - this event is American specific.

Spoiler :
Event174
Impeachment
Prereq: Player is American AND CONSTITUTION AND has a capital
Obsolete: None
Active/Weight: 90/100
Result:
1.+6 Angry faces (like whipped) AND +1 happy face for 10 turns in all cities (sic!)
2.Courthouse in Capital gains +2 production AND city has 2 turns of revolt

LOL, Gore invented the internet only in his own mind:lol:. In his dreams:sleep:

The concept that Al Gore said he "invented the internet" is another media misnomer that was carried on through by political pundits of the conservative ilk. I'm by no means a democrat, but I'll call it as I see it. If you read the transcript of what was actually said by Al Gore, he never claimed to invent the internet, he commented that he was one of the only politicians to vote for funding to make the one-time military only ARPANET into a fully public institution (aka the internet). He never claimed to have invented it.

BSmith1068 said:
Event174
Impeachment
Prereq: Player is American AND CONSTITUTION AND has a capital
Obsolete: None
Active/Weight: 90/100
Result:
1.+6 Angry faces (like whipped) AND +1 happy face for 10 turns in all cities (sic!)
2.Courthouse in Capital gains +2 production AND city has 2 turns of revolt

there is no way to NOT have a capital... is there?

there is no way to NOT have a capital... is there?

Yeah - I thought the same thing too!

(I just cut and paste the relavant info for this event from the list of Solver's events that was linked to earlier in this thread.)

BTW - I put the details in the spoiler just in case some other user didn't want to find out what happened with the event...

@ BSmith1068 & blitzkrieg1980

I guess if you are playing with the option checked to require complete kills, the American player could have only units remaining but no cities.

@ BSmith1068 & blitzkrieg1980

I guess if you are playing with the option checked to require complete kills, the American player could have only units remaining but no cities.

Yeah, i had already submitted when I thought of that. It is a valid point in that case ;)

The concept that Al Gore said he "invented the internet" is another media misnomer that was carried on through by political pundits of the conservative ilk. I'm by no means a democrat, but I'll call it as I see it. If you read the transcript of what was actually said by Al Gore, he never claimed to invent the internet, he commented that he was one of the only politicians to vote for funding to make the one-time military only ARPANET into a fully public institution (aka the internet). He never claimed to have invented it.

Thanks for the clarification, blitzkrieg.

Aye, but is our current society/lifestyle? And the process of adaptation in nature often represents a sizable portion of the population being killed off.
But that's just my point! Animals won't have it any better than us! Just saying "They'll adapt" does mean that a sizable portion of them will die. Soduka doesn't seem to appreciate this. The oceans will always be great :rolleyes:.

I think those random events aluding to recent politcal events are very funny. If you think Firaxis is trying to influence children by sneaking politics into a game, you should apply for a job at Fox News. (No intelligence required/allowed, doublethinkers prefered)

Now look, whether you believe it or not, global warming is one of the biggest "what ifs" in the world today. Give ten credible sources that says it exists, and you will find ten other credible sources that claim the climate changes we are experiencing today are the same type of climate change that the earth has been shown to go through over periods of time quite naturally and normally. The one thing that we all, as rational agents, should recognize is... Whether we think global warming as it is presented by current theories is likely or not, neither position has proven conclusive.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!??
GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT A BIG WHAT IF! IF IS HAPPENING NOW AND IS A FACT! WHY DO YOU THINK THE POLAR BEARS ARE AN ENDANGERED SPECIES?! A LET ME THINK... GLOBAL WARMING!

(I apologize for the language, I felt that it would make my point clear)

The people who think global warming is a myth are the decendents of people who believed in a geocentric universe. To say it does not exist, is to say cause and effect are unrelated. If you put a blanket over your body you get warmer. Adding signifigant quantities of any gas to any planet's atmosphere will change the climate. We have added signifigant quantities of carbon dioxide to our atmosphere. Therefore, SOMETHING will happen.
Ask those other ten sources what they think about tobacco and lung cancer. No way does breathing in the ashes of a highly toxic nightshade leaf do something bad, thats just crazy.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!??
GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT A BIG WHAT IF! IF IS HAPPENING NOW AND IS A FACT! WHY DO YOU THINK THE POLAR BEARS ARE AN ENDANGERED SPECIES?! A LET ME THINK... GLOBAL WARMING!

(I apologize for the language, I felt that it would make my point clear)

With the all caps and whatnot, I'm not sure if that was an attempt at parody or serious :S If it was serious, read the article I posted earlier in the thread, but later than you quoted. Also, about the polar bears... While I was looking for the previous article I just suggested you read, I found this one:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=517725

It is entitled "A False Mascot for Climate Change." Here are some excerpts from it.

"The baby seal was the star last month... Now it's the majestic polar bear, granted mostly-symbolic protection by Americans this week for being at risk of becoming the highest-profile casualty of global warming as its mostly Canadian domain disappears with the Arctic Ocean ice melt.

But, moving right along, the "threatened" status afforded the Canadian great white is interesting. One might not associate that alarmist term with an animal whose Arctic population has doubled to 25,000 bears in the last 40 years, with only two of the 13 pockets of population experiencing any decline and the rest enjoying a boom.

Yet somehow, despite that population surge, its long history of surviving even warmer climates and having lived off much reduced sea ice, the polar bear is now the world's photogenic canary in the global warming coal mine."

Sorry, I just don't see it about the polar bears. If they are endangered, it seems their population has been increasing since the onset of global warming, so how could it be the cause of their near-extinction? And the global warming thing is not nearly as clear as you think - again, read the other article.

The people who think global warming is a myth are the decendents of people who believed in a geocentric universe. To say it does not exist, is to say cause and effect are unrelated. If you put a blanket over your body you get warmer. Adding signifigant quantities of any gas to any planet's atmosphere will change the climate. We have added signifigant quantities of carbon dioxide to our atmosphere. Therefore, SOMETHING will happen.
Ask those other ten sources what they think about tobacco and lung cancer. No way does breathing in the ashes of a highly toxic nightshade leaf do something bad, thats just crazy.

You're sorely mischaracterizing the argument of the "anti global warming" people. They don't deny that global warming exists, but they have strong cases suggesting that while global warming exists, it may not be anything but a very, very minor component of current climate change.

Take a gander at the following article, or go back a page and read the portions I cut out of it. It'll give you a clearer view of what the debate is, because right now I don't think you have an accurate picture of it... And you're doing a serious disservice to some very intelligent people with heavily researched and supported positions with your "geocentric universe" comments.

http://magazine.carleton.ca/2005_Spring/1535.htm

No-one is trying to say that global warming doesn't exist, or even that it might not be a big factor. There is just strong evidence suggesting that what is popularly attributed to global warming may be caused by other factors to a much greater degree. Their positions deserve more credit than you're giving them, if you aren't familiar with them.

Interesting thread. It clearly points out the decline in educational standards in the U.S., and how it is being exploited by politicians and political pressure groups. No reasoning necessary, or possible. Anyone holding a contrary view will only be listened to long enough to establish that they have a contrary view, at which point they will be demonized and not another seditious syllable will be processed by the "elect".

Selected science is the new religion, and no longer has to trouble itself with bothersome concepts like countervailing evidence, testing or any of that nonsense. It is self-evidently true, and anyone who says it isn't absolute truth, or even doubts it is absolute truth is cast from society, like the devils they doubtlessly are. Perhaps if we kill them we can get a carbon credit from the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom