The Ancient Mediterranean MOD (TAM)

Well, I haven`t experienced your last bug, Thamis. but the oracle bug seems to be still there. I wondered why you`ve changed the Wonder_Splash_numbers in the txt file. Perhaps this is the reason for the game crash.

I`ve tried out four different civs in this scenario for now: The Troians (early version), the Chartagenians, the Minoans and the Egyptians. They all were nice to play and had their own "regional flavour". Especially the huge number of ressources contributes to this good game feeling. I think the game is balanced out quite well.

One idea: The Minoans have to research wood working to build the coracle, which means that they have to develope at least two techs to leave their one or to city island of Crete. I think this hampers them quite much. Perhaps they could be given the necessary tech at the start of the game.

Keep on your good work on this mod, Thamis!

Harlan: You're right about amber. I'll change it.

Lares: I sent you a PM concerning the Oracle. I'm just playing the Minoans and for me it worked out well. I went straight for wood working and sent out two coracles. I first built 3 cities on crete. But I could change them to commercial/industrious, so that they have tools from the beginning and just have to go to wood working.

Thamis,
I tried sending you an email but didn't have your address. I sent you a private message instead, but maybe you didn't get that. What's your email?

I have something good to make a Med map out of, or I can even make a Med map. I've just figured out how to make irregular maps and am keen to try making one.

Harlan:

I sent you an eMail about that, but maybe you didn't get it. I'll send you another PM.

If you want to, you can make the map. I'll post an update today that will include amber as lux resource.

What do you mean by "irregular maps"? Different resources and bbn camps in each game?

The new update 0.3.0 is out! Here's a preview on the new era splashes:

Attachments

• erasplashespreview.jpg
    erasplashespreview.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4,929
Interesting article. I remember the great discussions in the papers (I'm from Germany). This was a while ago, though.

What I find really interesting is that Troy supposedly is a vassal state of the Hittites.

I read the Illiad twice (once in hexameters, once prose) and to me it seemed like it was a city state, similar to the Greek ones. In the original (hexameter) version there's a huge list of Troian allies. Why would Troy ally with all different cities, tribes and nations if it was backed by the Hittites?

I believe in Homer (if he even existed is another question), or let's say in the Illiad.

Now for the MOD, I decided to re-include Troy (as a 17th nation) which will just be in the civ3mod.bic, but will only be available in a troian war scenario.

I'm just reading Herodot and will include the Lydians as well, since now I know more about them...

Do you know anything about Hittite cities or leaders? We could also include them... (YES!!!!! INCLUDE EVERY NATION OF THE WORLD!!!!! :crazyeye: )

Hittites should definitely be in. You've been sending me all kinds of maps - you should have a good idea of Hittite cities and so forth, already.

Addition in the next update. Please correct if you know better. :)

CIV: Etruria

Militaristic & Commercial

King:
Porsenna

Leaders:
Lars Porsenna

Cities:
Caere
Volci
Gravisca
Tarquinii
Casa
Telamun
Vetulonia
Populonia
Volaterrae
Bologna
Mantua
Adria
Spina
Arretium
Cortona
Perusia
Rusellae
Clusium
Volsinii
Veii
Pompeii

CIV: Phoenicia (Cannot be used with Carthage in map)

Expansionist & Commercial

King:
Hiram

Leaders:
Hannibal
Hiram

Cities:
Tyre
Sidon
Ugarit
Berytus
Byblos
Arvad
Acco
Kition
Carthage
Utica
Malaca
Caralis
Panormus
Leptis Parva
Cartenna
Rusicade
Gades
Rusucurru
Girba
Leptis Magna
Carthago Nova
Oea
Tingis
Rusaddir
Alalia
Selinus
Himera
Akragas
Theveste
Saguntum
Carteia
Mainake
Sexi
Abdera
Lixus
Hippo Regius
Hadrumentum
Sabrata
Soleis
Motya
Tharros
Sulcis
Nora
Mago
Palma
Ebusus
Kinyps
Melite
Lilybaeum
Lucentum
Meninx
Acholla
Thapsos
Kossyra
Gaulos
Diarrhytos
Igilgilis
Kartaia
Kasios
Karmel

CIV: Hittites (Cannot be used with Troy in map)

Militaristic & Scientific

King:
Suppiluliumas

Leaders:
Mursilis
Muwatallis

Cities:
Hattusas
Kanesh
Malatya
Arinna
Konya
Pteira
Beycesultan
Chatal Huyuk
Carchemish
Harran
Purruskhanda
Karaoglan
Hacilar
Suberde
Can Hasan
Mersin
Sakchagozu
Arslantepe
Norshuntepe
Tepecik
Ashikli Huyuk
Acigol
Chiftlik
Cafer Huyuk
Gritille
Chayonu
Wilusa
Ilion
Gordium
Boghazkoy
Kultepe
Kolophon
Tarsos
Aleppo

CIV: Lydia (Cannot be used with Minoans in map)
Also representing Ionia

Commercial & Industrious

King:
Kroisos

Leaders:
Alyattes
Gyges
Jobates

Cities:
The last cities are Ionian colonies in the Black Sea
Sardeis
Miletos
Phokaia
Smyrna
Kolophon
Priene
Limnoion
Maiandros
Halikarnassos
Assessos
Pteira
Samos
Ephesos
Mytilene
Abydos
Knidos
Kos
Chios
Klazomenai
Abydos
Sestos
Lampsakos
Kyzikos
Kalchedon
Magnesia
Panionion
Didyma
Sesamos
Kytoros
Sinopa
Apollonia
Odessos
Tomis
Istros
Tyras
Olbia
Theodosia
Phanagoreia
Tanais
Pityus
Dioskurias
Phasis
Trapezunt
Kotyora

CIV: Kush (Nubian Kingdom)

Commercial & Religious

King:
Taharqa

Leaders:
Piye
Alara
Kashta
Tanuetamani

Cities:
Kerma
Napata
Sesebi
Kawa
Soleb
Kumma
Buhen
Faras
Abu Simbel
Beit el-Wali
Gerf Hussein
Tombos
Sai
Amara
Semna
Uronati
Dorginarti
Mirgissa
Kot
Aniba
Quban
Ikkur
Korsoko
Gebel Barkal

Check the new update - new CIVs, new units, and an easy-to-play system (only in the full version). Unzip it into the CIV3 folder and it should create CIV3\Ancient Mediterranean. There you can launch the game - it will back up your files, launch CIV3 with the MOD files and restore your files afterwards.

Warning for Modders: Existing custom units might be overwritten.

Another tiny comment: If it is your preference to use it, the name Carthage is derived from the phoenecian name Kart-Hadesh, which literally means New Town.

(So Carthago Nova must be New New Town... :crazyeye: )

Cool mod. I'll download presently! :goodjob:

Yea, I heard of Karth-Hadasht before. But I prefered to use the "modern" name because otherwise people wouldn't understand. I mean, I don't use the old egyptian city names either (well, I don't know them, too...). But thanks for the comment!

Oh, and if you like the mod - rate it! :D

Hi Thamis,

It's been a while since I checked out this bulletin board and I've just come across and downloaded yout Mod. It looks like it would be a fascinating version to play if I could work out how to get it running!

You say there are links in the "Ancient Medeterranean" folder to play the game but what do I do wth them? Which folders go into which CIV folder?

Also I use a Mac, will that be a problem? I have used other MODs before with few problems but your MOD seems quite different.

I'm looking forward to give your MOD a test drive.

Regards,

Harry

HarryS:

On the PC:

You have to unzip the file into your CIV3 folder. Thus, you should have a sub-folder named "Ancient Mediterranean" which also has sub-folders (Art, Text, ...) and files in there. The civ3mod.bic is in the /Ancient Mediterranean folder. The content of the folder mimics the folder structure of the CIV3 folder.

Then you run the links for launching the game or the PLAY.BAT and ANCIENT WORLD.BAT.

Mac:

Generally it should work the same on the Mac. I don't know whether batch files work on the Mac or not (acutally I'm quite sure they don't).

If they don't, you can copy the contents of the "ancient mediterranean" folder into your civ3 directory, overwriting the files. You have to back them up before doing so, of course. Then you'll have the mod firmly installed.

I'll check in the MAC forum how to make batch files for the Mac. :)

Ok so I am stupider than I look.. I d/l file extracted to my CIV folder.. started with the Play Ancient Mod link and.... there is lincoln staring me in the face.. what the heck did I do wrong?

Thanks, John

ps I am new give me a break.

Top Bottom