1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Austrin in Wildmana

Discussion in 'Wildmana Modmod' started by Sephi, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Otiose

Otiose Chieftain

:bowdown:

2. Jabie

Jabie Wanted in Monte Carlo...

or the cost of Prepare Expedition could get 20% more expensive each time an expedition is prepared.

3. Lord Katana

Lord Katana Chieftain

Don't really agree here... Deirdra is expansionist so in the beginning a settler is actually cheaper then Prepare Expedition. So this unique feature isn't overpowered early game, and thats when most cities are founded. Only after she had her adaptive trait change, or in situations where you have a recon unit in a spot where u can't easily get a settler (wouldn't be my first choice for a city then if it doesn't have outside support) the prepare expedition becomes handy. So if easy/quick settling is ok for Deirdra, why shouldn't it also be ok for the other leader(s)?

4. tatva

tatva Chieftain

The point is, with prepare expedition your city still grows, which means more hammers and gold, while using setler stops the growing. You can have the thief in place also, which means less time, cause the setler still have to travel after being constructed. And that in any place, even far from capital, in some very important choke point or near esential resources. The only thing you must remember is that you need city guards so you must move warriors or whatever to the point before the expedition is ready. In facts, I was way behind the AI in colonization. This game has a lot of luck, but esentially is the same as chess: 50% of it is in the opening. So if you start with 2 or 3 more cities than all of your enemies, then you have a powerful advantage.

5. rmunn

rmunn Chieftain

Bug/omission: Sorah and Ecks (and possibly other Austrin leaders, but they're the only ones I've met so far) don't have any music assigned in their diplo screen. I met them in my current game and was looking forward to hearing the 12 Kingdoms intro music... and it wasn't there. :(

6. Jenaelha

Jenaelha fields of Elanor

Nor do the Austrin have Advisor's background art.

7. Lord Katana

Lord Katana Chieftain

Don't know if these things are intended but these are some "exploits" i found.

- By building highlanders, giving them a pegasus and then upgrading to tracker you have a flying unit which can found settlements.
    - The penalty from Godking doesnt work for Austin. This makes it a overpowered civic form them thoughout the whole game.
    - Same as above you can make flying beastmasters.
    - unmounted pegasi are almost impossible to kill. At one point i had a pegasus who had combat 4 cause he survived combat after combat (those pesty druids that can mountainwalk!)
    - Both arcane and disipline units can summon pegasi, but only arcane can ride them. Why let disipline be able to summon them? This is also overpowered cause when u do get one of the religion techs first you get a T2 priest. And voila, even your warriors are mounted. (beeline to RoK, FoL or OO)
    - After upgrading a unit and then giving it a pegasus the unit gets movement back and can do stuff. Probably not working as intended :)
    - Deidra's Adaptive is very strong. She is the only one who can be charismatic and arcane at the same time, hence having very powerful mages that can even fly.

They are superfun to play, and i use above to the fullest. But just want to be sure it is working as intended :)

8. Micky Onimusha

Micky Onimusha Chieftain

Is there any real purpose to using Sorah and Ecks at the moment? I gave them a quick spin with world builder to try out the Joining and all it did was summon a random civ as my team-mate. As it stands "the Joining" just seems like a bad Mercurian Gate (I say bad since the new civ doesn't spawn with anything worthwhile), which makes Sorah and Ecks essentially leaders with just one (not overly awesome) trait. They seem incomplete, or am I missing something?

Edit: Also, just a thought, since I always set my first Warrior on a mini-scout mode with the "Travel Light" spell, surely as a civilisation based around exploration they should begin with 2 scouts ala the Ljo as opposed to the usual Warrior+Scout combination? As I said, just a thought.

Edit:

I just discovered the joy of "Summon Pegasus", but I wanted to check if it's 'working as intended'. I've noticed that with one mage, I can cast Summon Pegasus once per turn, provided that on the turn I summon a Pegasus I attach a unit. In theory I assume that means one mage could provide 100 units with Pegasus upgrades. I just wanted to check if that's how it's meant to work, because when I first read that it was limited to one Pegasus summon per Mage I thought to myself "that's fair, I guess I'll give Pegasus rides to my very best units then", but with things as they stand even plain old Warriors are getting their very own Pegasuses (is that the plural for them?), which I find kind of cheapens their charm. Just a bug query/opinion stating =/

Edit2: In regards to some points Lord Katana raised, why aren't recon units and priest units not allowed to mount Pegasuses? If the recon thing is regarded too powerful combined with "Found Settlement", as LK said, there are ways around that problem. As for why priests can't mount one (but yet can summon one), I see no reason why they'd be anymore powerful in a priests hands than they would in an Adepts hands.

Over-all, I'm very much enjoying the Austrin. They are a Civ that appeal perfectly too my heart. They retain all the core abilities of an FFH civ (bar the gunpowder units) but have a couple of unique features that set them apart, so I have taken quite an interest in them. Having not played them in Fall Farther (and having not played Fall Farther for several months) I'm not sure how much of this is down to what FF provided and how much is down to WM changes, but regardless, I must congratulate all involved with creating the Austrin with providing a very enjoyable civilisation :goodjob:

9. bobrossw

bobrossw Chieftain

I tried a game with Sorah and Ecks, I did the joining and got Calabim, I gave them a few towns, but they basically did nothing with them, just spammed a few warriors and got beat on by a neighboring civ. Not sure why that was worth it vs. just using the towns myself.

I think considering the cost of the joining both in terms of production (a town and the joining) and the fact that Sorah and Ecks miss out on other traits, it would make more sense to give the starting civ some kind of nice bonus in terms of buildings or units, at least enough to make them solidly self sufficient. The other civ is coming out mid-early game but starts out behind other civs in terms of expansion, it needs something to be able to thrive.