The best unit in Civilization

What's your favourite unit (in their most important moment)?

• Hoplite or Impi

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Longbowmnn

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Swordsman

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • Legionary

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Immortal

Votes: 43 14.7%
  • Musketman

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cavalry

Votes: 114 39.0%
  • Rifleman

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Tank

Votes: 32 11.0%
  • Panzer

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • Paratrooper

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Marine

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Battleship

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Fighter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F-15

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Bomber

Votes: 19 6.5%

• Total voters
Immortal. Extermly powerfull and useful for long period of time.

I would go with artillery if it wre available, but I voted for cavalry since I thought it was the best on the list.

Breunor

Cavalry. I´m so bad at early warmongering, my campaign usually starts with this unit. Of course they´re even better if backed with Artillery...

Warrior, hands down.

I say the best is the tank. Before you get tanks, the best possible unit has 6 attack, not counting UUs. Then you get tanks, with 16 attack. That is a huge jump!

Cavalry because of their attack strength of 6, and speed of 3 in the medieval age.

I'd use longbowmen, but they're so expensive I can't justify building them if I can build knights. I find it odd that a 4/3/2 knight costs the same as a 4/1/1 longbowman. I think from this my favorite is the Swordsman.

Smellincoffee said:
I'd use longbowmen, but they're so expensive I can't justify building them if I can build knights. I find it odd that a 4/3/2 knight costs the same as a 4/1/1 longbowman. I think from this my favorite is the Swordsman.

Longbowmen are the same as Medieval Infantry, so they aren't very useful if you have iron (unless the defensive freeshot means a lot to you).

DBear said:
I say the best is the tank. Before you get tanks, the best possible unit has 6 attack, not counting UUs. Then you get tanks, with 16 attack. That is a huge jump!

In my opinion, cavalry are the greater gamebreaker. If you play your cards right (and get a little lucky perhaps), the best defender your cavs should be facing is the musketman, with a defense of 4. The best your tanks should be facing is the infantry, at 10. The tank has a slightly better attack/opponent defense ratio, but that is more than offset by the fact that cities are likely to be larger in the tank era and many cities may also have civil defense. The attack/defense ratios of the units are the same, and cavalry have that all-important extra move point. Also, cavs fare more favorably against riflemen than tanks against mech infantry (and perhaps even TOW infantry, if you consider the increased city size and civil defense).

Don't Longbowman also have a bombard bonus when attacking cities. I swear they can just mow down opposition holed up in cities in that era. Some kind of tactical bonus I'm thinking.

I don't like to use them as much as I fear the opposition retaking my conquests when they produce the longbowman.

Umm Longbowman costs 40 shileds while Knight costs 70. So they are at no point even. Longbownam + Pikemen 70 shileds equals Knight and if paired they have same stats 4 att and 3 def. Only movement counts for knights and the fact they can be upgraded later while Longbowmen have to be disbanded thus wasting production. So i never build Longbowman, just upgrade existing Bowmans and fast try to make them usefull (dead maybe too :p) while still at reasonable att vs deff. As foe units i love Spearman but its not listed - upgrades all the way so it never becomes obsolete :p And besides till industrial age comes I can crash my Iron road with some unit and build Spearman at 20 shields maybe for 3-4 turns in every city and have defence for the rest of the game :p

I think the immortal is the most powerful UU

however, since only one civ can use it I think it necessary to vote for a standard unit that everyone can build

cavalry...

it is the game breaking unit

Top Bottom