The Biggest, Baddest Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a photo shopped image, the "invisibility" technology only works from a 2D prespective.

What do you mean? Of course the image is photoshoped, but it would indeed be possible to do it. Just watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPVQal851U

Here's a newer article about it:

http://www.unexplainable.net/Technology/The-Invisible-Tank.shtml

Recently, United States scientists received the green light from DARPA to pursue an advanced system of "crypsis", a term meaning the avoidance of observation. This research, funded so far with seventeen million government dollars, is geared towards two projects in particular: The primary project takes the form of a collapsible, deployable "shield" made of a self-healing fiber-optic/kevlar mesh that both "cloaks" those behind it in an obfuscating aura and protects them from bullets. The Second, and perhaps the more ambitious, project seeks to do the impossible: render an entire tank invisible to normal observation.

My point is that it would be possible to make really cool futuristic units that very well may be used in the future. Same goes with fusion power plants and such.

Having transformers walking around is just stupid.

First of all, this is my first post, so I'd like to start by thanking the community for all their help while I was a silent stalker at the site.

Now, on topic, I think Gamemaster came really close to the point.

This is not realistic. There is not much strategic use for a bipedal combat robot. Heck, there isn't even much use for any kind of bipedal robot. It says it has a kung-fu punch but where are it's arms? The purpose of this kind of robot is to be more mobile. However, two feet won't get you very far. I think it is much more likely to have a quad-pedal robot like a giant death robot. I think spider like robots would be combat unit for increased mobility in the future, not Giant Death Robots. I'm guessing we will have hovercraft too. If your going to put a future unit in at least balance it with others. Also, since when does a machine powered by fusion use uranium? Greg said this was an official part of the game and should be balanced so hopefully a modder can mod something to take its place. They could make a new animation and would only have to change the civilopedia entry and nothing else.

And Bad Brett nailed it.

My point is that it would be possible to make really cool futuristic units that very well may be used in the future. Same goes with fusion power plants and such.

Having transformers walking around is just stupid.

The issue with "realism" here is about what makes sense. Sure, we've got a long way to go before FTL drives and Alpha Centaury, but at least those are actual goals humanity has set itself, that scientists are working and technology developing towards. And as some have posted, so are Mechs, but the thing is, when those do show up, they'll make sense in terms of engineering, design and combat applications. When you see that ship in space, it feels right, it doesn't pop you suspension of disbelief bubble, because as far as you know, that's probably how it's going to be. On the other hand, the GDR feels out of place. It's design, name, description and stats come from sci-fi cliches, not from RL technological developments.

What makes sense for, say, an Anime's narrative, doesn't cut it for Civ. In fiction it's awesome that Mechs have entirely replaced all types of combatants, often bringing back awesome hand-to-hand combat in awesome battles for awesome honor within larger than life plots, fought by heroic awesome characters. And sure, we expect some "Kung-Fu punch" from our Japanese animators. But not from our Civ developers.

Wanna bring Mechs into Civ? Fine, but do it right. Make it so that when I look at the unit and read it's description, I can say "Oh, I get it. This thing came to be because there was this technological breaktrough, and this need in the battlefield, and I can see how the mech seizes that breaktrough and covers that need. And it's design looks like it was actually made for that job and seems capable of getting it done" (You know, like all military inventions).

Instead, we get this joke (as funny as it might be). It's not unrealistic, it's just stupid. And I think that's what's really bothering people (myself included).

I'm sure this is a joke. It will probably be included in the game as an easter egg. Maybe it only can be built and you decide to keep playing, I don't know.

But a 150 strength unit that cannot be removed because it would cause imbalance? Kung-Fu kick? Giant Death Robot? Come on.

I'm sure they guys at Firaxis are having a good laugh right now.

Jesus, its not a joke, we've seen game footage of the unit, its no "extreeme diplomacy" prank. Get over it already.

A GDR is an affectionate name giving as big sloppy love kiss to the fan's & modding community as that name was invented right here on this site, They decided to include a mech into the game, its no un-realistic, right now we have the ability to build a "bipedal robot" so why are people saying its "not real" it is real, they exist. Making a giant one with lots of guns on while probably expensive and impracticle can actually be done with the Technology we have, this is a fact.

Where as a spaceship thats capable of travelling to other stars is not possible yet. Eventually that will be humanities goal, but if say America and Russia break out into thermonuclear war how long before they say "you know what, Alpha Centauri development can be put on hold, lets go and destroy communism." Bipedal Combat Robots may very well be a part of that... I doubt it but it could happen.

Why should they remove it, theirs nothing wrong with having something more advanced than Stealth Bombers or Modern Tanks, as eventually a newer combat vehicle will be invented and produced, will it be a Bipedal Robot, probably not, but its still a possibility. Personally I would of liked to have seen more than 1 Future Era Unit, and a lot more future techs than they included.

After reading one of Dales posts I checked out the BigDog robot. OMG!

The bit where he kicks it and it doesn't fall over is amazing! Also the bit where it jumps the panel on the floor!

People need to see this and realise GDR aren't that silly. Also they need to lighten up and get a ssence of humor.

Yeah lol, I was like awwww when he tried to kick it over, BUT HE FAILED, go BigDog go!

I bet 2KGreg is beginning to regret taking this job. Honestly, the attitude of some people is just ridiculous.

I bet 2KGreg is beginning to regret taking this job. Honestly, the attitude of some people is just ridiculous.

He only cares about making money, stop pretending that he's some kind of altruistic Civ fanatic. Personally, I find the presence of him and Elizabeth rather annoying, since they try so hard to use this forum as advertising space. It's great when the real developers write here though.

He only cares about making money, stop pretending that he's some kind of altruistic Civ fanatic. Personally, I find the presence of him and Elizabeth rather annoying, since they try so hard to use this forum as advertising space. It's great when the real developers write here though.

So some of the grumps complain when 2K doesn't post, and others grump when they do.

Its dumb and stupid. Call to Power 1 and 2 had some quirkness with some of the future units but at least they had a fully-fleshed out future era.

Not really a suprise. Whiners be whining, no matter the topic.

@Intellectus, Yeah I would of liked a better future era too.

Jesus, its not a joke, we've seen game footage of the unit, its no "extreeme diplomacy" prank. Get over it already.

A GDR is an affectionate name giving as big sloppy love kiss to the fan's & modding community as that name was invented right here on this site, They decided to include a mech into the game, its no un-realistic, right now we have the ability to build a "bipedal robot" so why are people saying its "not real" it is real, they exist. Making a giant one with lots of guns on while probably expensive and impracticle can actually be done with the Technology we have, this is a fact.

Where as a spaceship thats capable of travelling to other stars is not possible yet. Eventually that will be humanities goal, but if say America and Russia break out into thermonuclear war how long before they say "you know what, Alpha Centauri development can be put on hold, lets go and destroy communism." Bipedal Combat Robots may very well be a part of that... I doubt it but it could happen.

Why should they remove it, theirs nothing wrong with having something more advanced than Stealth Bombers or Modern Tanks, as eventually a newer combat vehicle will be invented and produced, will it be a Bipedal Robot, probably not, but its still a possibility. Personally I would of liked to have seen more than 1 Future Era Unit, and a lot more future techs than they included.

But...If you stop Spaceship production to go to war, you'll get beaten to the Space Race and lose the game!

Now, in all seroiusness [insert Joker pic here], Cold-War-escalated style thermonuclear war is as real as your proverbial bipedal robot. They're both plausible, we have the tech to do it, but they're also, like you said, impractical and expensive. Wich is why neither of them will happen anytime soon (unless Skynet has it's way).

At least you share the doubt, you realize it's improbable, and that's the point. Like I said, it's not really about how realistic or unrealistic it is, is about how it doesn't fit in the Civilization universe we, as players, have grown used to see and get involved with.

I love mechs, but they don't make sense in a game that has always shown historically accurate units. I did enjoy that Mod some mentioned where you get Mechs, and a super tank, and clones; it's called "Next War" btw. But vainilla? Please no. I'm all up for future units, as long as they make sense. I'd be cool if it was the already discussed BigDog with machine guns on it and stats that make sense in the game (no terrain movement costs? It's pack mule funtion getting weight out of the soldiers backs, so adjacent units get bonus to strength? Something like that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom