The Citynamemanager-development thread

Monterrey was never Aztec to begin with, so if an Aztec city is founded there and the Spanish capture it, why would it be a Spanishized version of the Aztec name?

They better raze it and found a new city.
BTW, I wouldn't found Monterrey if I was Isabella. It's on the horse, right?
Better found Saltillo on the spices.

I think Ciudad de Mexico is the only exception where the whole name is changed.

Yes, Sacramento is in California. Nothing new there... it's 1 tile east of the rice IIRC.

I don't like razing cities much, (stability hit)
1) when you conquer the Aztec Monterrey city it doesn't change (I suppose I can always go to the city screen and change it but then I have to alt tab out and change it)
2) Saltillo doesn't change when conquered either
3) Sacramento is either in Nevada or Utah in RFC not California

The problem is that the Aztecs don't have a unique name for the Monterrey tile, so you can't auto-rename it.

And about the historical city of Tampico: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampico

Saltillo is founded by Spanish historically, not conquered.

Sacramento is close enough to San Fransisco IMHO to make it believable.

Who founds Sacramento anyway? It's only for the Spanish.
If you are America I think it's called Reno.

The problem is that the Aztecs don't have a unique name for the Monterrey tile, so you can't auto-rename it.

And about the historical city of Tampico: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampico

Saltillo is founded by Spanish historically, not conquered.

Sacramento is close enough to San Fransisco IMHO to make it believable.

Who founds Sacramento anyway? It's only for the Spanish.
If you are America I think it's called Reno.

Yes, Sacramento is close, I can get to San Francisco in an hour and Sacramento take two and a half hours

By car?

Still the distance San Fransisco-Sacramento is the same as crossing through the Netherlands (north-south).

Oh, what a small country I live in...

I just modified CityNameManager.py so that many Japanese city names - not just Edo/Toukyou - change with era.
Does this fit into the theme of this thread? If so, I'll post the file here; otherwise, I'll start a new thread.

I initially thought Japanese city names should be easy (not very many tiles), but it actually took me a whole day!
Attached pictures show city names for the Classical, Medieval (after Taika Reform), Renaissance (Tokugawa), and Industrial/Modern/Future periods.

Are your changes an addition to the changes I've already made?

In other words, are my changes of New Orleans renaming including in your file?

If so, then you can post it here. It will be version #2.

Please list all the cities you have changed in your post and maybe a link to verify it.

Also, you must have playtested it.

All changes that increases historical correctness are welcome!

EDIT: Is Ryuukyuu a city? I thought is was the name of the islands. Where's Naha (original name for the tile)?

OK, I'll merge my file with yours and then upload it.

Is Ryuukyuu a city? I thought is was the name of the islands. Where's Naha (original name for the tile)?

Ryukyu state (流求國; "國" now denotes “a country,” but at that time "國" denoted “a town or a region under someone’s government”) was first mentioned in the Book of Sui written in the 7th C, whereas, so much as I know, Naha appears first as a part of the Ryukyu Kingdom established in the 15th C. So, I favored Ryuukyuu.

Also, for the post-Industrial periods, I changed city names into prefecture names. Toukyou, Kyouto, Oosaka and so forth are prefecture names, so I applied the same rule to Naha and changed its name to its prefecture’s name, which is Okinawa.

Made a few runs, and looks like it's working as expected.
By the way, how about putting the latest version on the first post?

EDIT: By the way, you can add a file to a message using "Manage Attachment" in "Additional Options."

Toukyou, Kyouto, Oosaka and so forth are prefecture names,

But those are also city names, right?
Not like changing Washington into 'District of Columbia' or Paris into 'Île-de-France'...

Also, this doesn't affect Japanese cities on other places, like the Philipines or Manchuria?

I'm guessing you are of Japanese origin or at least well-read on Japan's history?

EDIT: I've put your link on the first post.

But those are also city names, right?

I had been thinking that they were prefecture names, since currently there is no Toukyou city in Japan.
But I just googled and found that in RFC every Japanese city except Toukyou had a city (not prefecture) name by default.
So you are right, and I just fixed the file.

Also, this doesn't affect Japanese cities on other places, like the Philipines or Manchuria?

No change in those places yet. In future I might, but then I'll need to research.

I'm guessing you are of Japanese origin or at least well-read on Japan's history?

I'm Japanese currently in the US.

@ Usi:

I checked the file

EDIT: I found the line in "NewOwner = Japan" and have one question.

Will the game check Japan as a new owner at the beginning of a new era and change the names accordingly?

If so, nice work! :goodjob:

Is there anyone familiar with historical Chinese city names?
I thought of making dynamic Chinese city names, but it seems to be too tough for me.
If someone can make an Excel file or suchlike, I'll incorporate the data into CityNameManager.py.
I can also do "translation" of Chinese city names into hiragana and Japanese city names into pinyin.

Will the game check Japan as a new owner at the beginning of a new era and change the names accordingly?

So much as I have tested, it works.

Yes, I've tested it too and the names are right by era.

I just noticed that Russian city-names containing ц is consistently rendered as 'c' instead of 'ts' ("Caricyn" for "Tsaritsyn", "Car'grad" for "Tsar'grad", "Olonec" for "Olonets" etc.). Can we have them respelled?

I think you're referring to the English spelling (British standard), but (non-English) RFC city names are not in English spelling so it would be inconsistent.

I think Rhye chose to use a more international standard for transliterations, like ISO 9 or the United Nations Romanization System.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanized_Russian#Systematic_transliterations_of_Cyrillic_to_Latin

I wanted to change all C (like in Caricyn) to Ts but was too lazy. :D Really too lazy to to change all the names and renames. I'm also busy now, hope I'll be able to do something next month.

Is there anyone familiar with historical Chinese city names?

Nobody here is familiar, I presume?

So far, I'm thinking of something like this:
Classical -> the Spring and Autumn period city names
Medieval -> the Three Kingdoms period city names
Renaissance -> the Qing Dynasty city names
Industrial and on -> as it is in RFC
and
Ancient -> same as Classical except some cities for which I found older names

For the Spring and Autumn period, I got some maps, like this one:
http://shibakyumei.hp.infoseek.co.jp/map/mapA.shtml.

Though I can read Chinese a little bit, don't expect that I can do as good as a native speaker would!
So if you are afraid of having some weird city names, please help me by commenting, suggesting some city names, and/or providing me some good maps.

Usi,

Isn't it a little confusing to let all those cities change names 4-5 times?

I mean: Amsterdam was called Amstelredam (named after the river Amstel and a dam) in medieval times (old Dutch), but I don't mind it be called Amsterdam from the start.

And Kaapstadt is actually old Dutch, which is now called Kaapstad in Dutch AND Afrikaans.

(BTW, Afrikaans is a daughter language of Dutch and Dutch-speaker, like me, easily understand it. More easily than some Dutch dialects...)

So, maybe leave it at Japan with the special renaming?

If you still feel too 'unhistorical' about China, maybe tone it down to 3 most important periods?

Then I guess I will just have three periods.

The reason why I have been spending time for city names is that Chinese and Japanese city names have changed more dramatically than few letter changes in alphabet.

For example, Beijing's (北京) name has changed like: Ji (蓟) -> Beiping (北平) -> Zhongdu (中都) -> Dadu (大都; this one was named by Mongols though) -> Beiping (北平; Ming regained the control) -> Beijing (北京; finally!) -> Beiping (北平) -> [Japanese "Pekin"] -> Beiping (北平) -> Beijing (北京).

Beijing and Beiping are similar, but others are not. And the changes in the name reflect changes in the city's importance as well as changes of the dynasties. So, this way, I want to have their history flow.

Top Bottom