1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Citynamemanager-development thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by nody, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Is it ok if I take some creative licence here? For example the Beothuk are still called the Beothuk by the Spanish, but it seems that a better Hispanicization would be Beotuk.

EDIT: Oh, and why on earth are some of the Japanese city names the names of prefectures? Some the name changes made to Japan are ridiculous. Certain cities of Japan now bear the name of the prefecture or sub-prefecture in that region rather than an actual city name like in the original CityNameManager.

2. Science Rules

Science Rules Chieftain

For your own personal CityNameManager, you can do whatever you want; no one is stopping you.

usi edited the Chinese and Japanese names, ask him if you have any questions.

3. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Ok, I was just wondering. If indeed there is a good reason I want to keep it; otherwise, no.

So usi, if you're there, what exactly is the reason?

4. Science Rules

Science Rules Chieftain

usi left explanations for his changes on page 2 of this thread. If you want to contact him, you probably should PM him because I haven't seen him on the RFC forum for months.

5. BenZL43

BenZL43 Physician - still can't spell this correctly.

Can anybody who's handling the CNM help swapping the Indonesian city entries on Dutch's CNM ?
    I think "Bandung" and "Semarang" needs to be swapped..
    Thanks

6. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

PM me a full list of suggestions.

7. BenZL43

Okay...

8. BenZL43

I think it's better to post the Suggestion here, because it's quite complicated for me to arrange all into the PM as I've think and think to add more and more :)
    And here's what I think so far :

1) Swap Bandung and Semarang for Dutch Civs
    2) Once I had in my game, Aztec settle place into my American core, around San Francisco, and when I reconquer, it do not change its name to American-sounding name. So I suggest adding the American sounding name when it's conquered by America or European :)
    3) I still see some of settler entries that is not French sounding, German sounding, Dutch sounding, Spain sounding, English sounding, Chinese sounding, Japanese sounding, and Arabian sounding name :)
    4) Why Khmer's city entries is, like, I feel, copy-pasted from others Civs in the entries ? I can't find any entries that distinctive to Khmer only :)
    5) Situated on Spanish entries Puerto Princesa, why there's no other Civs entries there ? But they have the entries for the main Island next to this Island. I feel strange, since how could they spot the main Island with never seen the 'Puerto Princesa' island ?
    6) Once when its Vietnam war, America builts a air base in Panduranga, called Panduranga Air Base
    7) Add all major cities Japanese and Chinese name, in case they conquer the cities (I often see how powerful they are that they're conquering cities like Buenos Aires, Mbanza Kongo etc)
    8) Broadening Inca's entries to cover the Amazonian Native civs?

More coming :)

9. Science Rules

Science Rules Chieftain

1. Looks like a good idea. This should probably be synced with the Arab, Khmer, Indian and other maps. I never touched that part of the world, so this is also the case in Rhye's original map.
    2. There is no such thing as an "American sounding" name. The US is a melting pot of different cultures, all of our place-names are inherited from the people who came before us. This means Southern and Western names have Spanish origins, Eastern names have English origins and Midwestern names will have French origins. And indigenous American place-names are spread everywhere. When I expanded the Mesoamerican city name maps to include the rest of North America, I tried to pick names that were later incorporated into modern names. For example I chose Manhattan to represent the New York tile and Massachusett to represent the Boston tile. Sometimes, there is a well established corruption of the indigenous name in the formation of the modern name such as Massachusett-->Massachusetts. I remember struggling to determine the names for California because that's one regions where I'm not that familiar. However, the Ohlone people were the original inhabitants of the San Franciscan Peninsula. I can't really justify any other names.
    3. I'm not sure what you are referring to. Could you provide examples?
    4. The Khmer Civ in this game I believe represents all the cultures of SE Asia in RFC, which is why Siamese, Vietnamese and other groups are represented on their city name map. I never modified the Khmer map, so those are all of Rhye's city names.
    5. I never touched the Philippines so this is also an artifact from Rhye's original map. Do you have any ideas for city names on Palawan island?
    6. I don't think there has ever been an American Air Base called Panduranga Air Base. Panduranga was the capital of the Champa Kingdom, but is defunct nowadays. Unless you are referring to Phang Rang AFB, which is located near the site of the former city. However, I think an American city there should be named after Tan Son Nhut Air Base, which played a much more prominent role during the war.
    7. I can't add Asian names if I don't have them, please provide a list of possible renames and I'll see if they can be added.
    8. That has been on my to-do list for a while.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

The thing with the "American sounding names" is that the Aztecs lack city names in almost all of North America, which is bad because at least human-controlled Aztecs settle there at some point.

Maybe it's possible to take the names of some local tribes and adapt them to Aztec phonetics?

11. Science Rules

Science Rules Chieftain

If you look at my citynamemanager, you will see I added North American tribal names throughout the continent to the Aztec and Maya city name maps.

I made no effort to add Nahuatl suffixes because my knowledge was very sparse and I didn't want to create a precedent. It's similar to the reason I try to avoid Neolatin on the Roman City Name Map. I prefer the name of an actual place, even if it isn't in the right language, to a made-up place-name that is in the right language.

12. Alexius08

Alexius08 Chieftain

Brooke's Point for British and American cities. No idea for other cases.

13. BenZL43

1. Obviously, I came from that region lol :)
    I've checked the entries for those place, though most are ahistorical, I think it's better to left that first, for now, coz reformatting all of the entries will be a hard work, though :)
    2. Well, What I'm trying to tell you, there is no conquest name by any Civs for the recently-added Native American City-name...
    3)I can't mention all, but here are some examples :

-Karamay
    (Chinese : Kelamayi)
    (Independent/Native : Qaramay) <= Uyghur Name
    -Shiquanhe
    (Ancient Chinese : Ga'er)
    (English : Ali)
    (Independent/Native : Sengghe Tsangpo) <= Tibetan Name
    -Golmud
    (Chinese : Ge'er mu)
    (Mongolian : Yool mudu)
    -Casablanca
    (Portuguese : Casa Branca)
    (Arabic : ad-D&#257;r al-Bay&#7693;&#257;)
    (Independent/Native : Anfa, if conquered by Portuguese : Anafé)
    -Rabat
    (Arabic : ar-Rib&#257;&#7789;)
    (Carthage : Chellah)

4,5,8) And that's what we are going to change to create the Ultimate CNM ! :D
    6) Yes, thats what I mean lol. Phan Rang AFB. But if Than Shot play a bigger role, that's also acceptable, I think :)
    7) For Example :
    Buenos Aires
    Japan : Buenosu Airesu

I'll add more. Gotta go :)

14. corovanrobber

corovanrobber Chieftain

worst idea ever. kanchajiabidebafuluofusike WTF

15. BenZL43

What is the real name of that city -.-"
    Never heard 'Kanchajiabidefuluofusike"..
    Do you mean Kandalaksha ? It is &#22350;&#36798;&#25289;&#20811;&#27801; which read as Kandalakesa
    Or in Japanese, Kandarukusha
    I just tired seeing when Eastern sign defensive pacts with some European Civs, then European declare war at others, as coded, which took the Eastern taking part, and attacking European minor colonial cities which usually didn't guarded effectively, and having a city which themselves can't spell it -.-"

16. BenZL43

Sorry for double post
    I'd like to starts proposing some rules for the City Name Management, in case it went uncontrolled and everybody is at wars at everybody else to defend their argument about what the city be named.. Let me start, tell me what do you think, and propose more rules that's agreeable :p

Name sources for the City Renaming should be taken from a dependable sources like Wikipedia, but, a reliable Native Speakers is more preferred.

17. corovanrobber

corovanrobber Chieftain

&#22570;&#23519;&#21152;&#24444;&#24471;&#32599;&#24052;&#29995;&#27931;&#22827;&#26031;&#20811; petropavlovsk-kamchatsky

18. BenZL43

Okay.. I have to admit that one will sound ridiculous -.-"
    Well how about just adding the Major cities renaming ?
    At least our 'God' Rhye had started with renaming Rome to Daqin when conquered by China, right ?

Some sources

Asian Cities name

European Cities Name
    A
    B
    C-D
    E-H
    I-L
    M-P
    Q-T
    U-Z

American Cities Name
    African Cities Name, Latin Only (Not completed yet)

19. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

I know this might sound ********, but I was just wondering how do I install this d
    for RFC? Is it completed, or should I wait?

20. Science Rules

Science Rules Chieftain

It's a constant work in progress. I haven't made any changes since January, but I still desire to make more additions the next time I get motivated. If you are interested in using my CNM, please don't hesitate. Every version I post is ready-to-use. The latest version as well as instructions can be found in my post from January which is conveniently linked to in my signature.

I welcome all feedback, but I'll let you know that I'm not very keen about adding names that are just transliterations without there being any historical context. This is why the French name for New York is Nouvelle Rochelle and not Nouvelle York. It is also why you definitely will not see Novo Eboracum.