The Citynamemanager-development thread

I just remembered you gave Japan 4 eras of name changing, why not give China the same?

It would suggest this order of names: Ji -> Zhongdu -> Beiping -> Beijing, if that's correct with the historical era of the name.

Maybe it should be: Beiping -> Zhongdu -> Beijing -> Beijing - that's up to you.

If maybe the name was changed more than ones in one era, just choose the most important or used one per era. Again, that's up to you. Maybe you can ask someone who is educated in Chinese history (preferably also a Chinese person that lives or had lived in China?).

BTW, in Dutch (my first language) the city is called Peking. In German too. Maybe they took over the Japanese name?

Just noticed: seems that we're forgetting to rename South American cities.

For example, I would like to see the following:

• Rio de Janeiro (Portuguese) / Río de Enero (Spanish) / Urbs Fluminensis (Roman) / Fluss des Januars (German) / Fleuve de Janvier (French) / Potamos tou Ianouariou (Greek) / Januaririvier (Dutch) / Yanvarskaya Reka (Russian)
  • São Paulo (Portuguese) / San Pablo (Spanish) / Urbs Paulistana (Latin) / Sankt Paulus (German) / Saint-Paul (French) / San-Paulu (Russian) / Agios Paulos (Greek) / Sint-Paulus (Dutch)
  • Buenos Aires (Spanish) / Bons Ares (Portuguese) / Bonaeropolis (Roman) / Gute Winden (German) / Goede Luchten (Dutch) / Bon Air (French) / Kaloi Anemoi (Greek) / Dobr'ye Vetr' (Russian)
  • Santiago (Spanish/Portuguese) / Iacobopolis (Roman) / Saint-Jacques (French)
  • Brasilia (Portuguese) / Brasiliopolis (Roman)

P.S.: New York should be renamed by France as Nouvelle-Angoulême. In the current version, it would show up as Louisquisset whenever France builds it (where did Rhye get that name?).

P.P.S.: If the mountain peak 1 tile north of Manila represent the Cordilleras, San Fernando might be fine but I'm thinking of renaming it into either Baguio or Tuguegarao. But Fuerza de San Pedro should be Cebu and Fort Pilar should be Zamboanga.

Just noticed: seems that we're forgetting to rename South American cities.

For example, I would like to see the following:

• Rio de Janeiro (Portuguese) / Río de Enero (Spanish) / Urbs Fluminensis (Roman) / Fluss des Januars (German) / Fleuve de Janvier (French) / Potamos tou Ianouariou (Greek) / Januaririvier (Dutch) / Yanvarskaya Reka (Russian)
  • São Paulo (Portuguese) / San Pablo (Spanish) / Urbs Paulistana (Latin) / Sankt Paulus (German) / Saint-Paul (French) / San-Paulu (Russian) / Agios Paulos (Greek) / Sint-Paulus (Dutch)
  • Buenos Aires (Spanish) / Bons Ares (Portuguese) / Bonaeropolis (Roman) / Gute Winden (German) / Goede Luchten (Dutch) / Bon Air (French) / Kaloi Anemoi (Greek) / Dobr'ye Vetr' (Russian)
  • Santiago (Spanish/Portuguese) / Iacobopolis (Roman) / Saint-Jacques (French)
  • Brasilia (Portuguese) / Brasiliopolis (Roman)

P.S.: New York should be renamed by France as Nouvelle-Angoulême. In the current version, it would show up as Louisquisset whenever France builds it (where did Rhye get that name?).

I think these aren't very good. These are just some literally translated names of the cities. The Dutch for example don't call them "Januaririvier, Sint-Paulus, Goede Luchten". We call them the same as the founders. We call the "Rio de Janiero, São Paulo and Buenos Aires. This is the same as the Unique names for the wonders. Literally translated names don't mean the same. (with a few exeptions)

Sometimes there is a different name between a city that is found by civ or conquered by that same civ.

But I agree with your translations. Some would not be likely to happen before 2100 AD, but still...

If you use the latest file in the first post you can add those changes and then post it here.

If I can do it, you probably can do it too.

Maybe wait with posting until Usi is finished with the dynamic Chinese city names and then add you changes to that file.

think these aren't very good. These are just some literally translated names of the cities. The Dutch for example don't call them "Januaririvier, Sint-Paulus, Goede Luchten". We call them the same as the founders. We call the "Rio de Janiero, São Paulo and Buenos Aires. This is the same as the Unique names for the wonders. Literally translated names don't mean the same. (with a few exeptions)

That because we don't own the cities. If a renaissance era Dutch empire would conquer Buenos Aires it would defenitely recieve a Dutch name, maybe not Goede Luchten, but maybe Goedelucht or Luchtstad.

I don't know if Yanvarskaya Reka is a good city name in Russian, in fact it isn't. One would expect it to be a name of a river. Make it Yanvarorechensk or something. São Paulu - Svyatopavlovsk? Buenos Aires - Dobrovetersk? Dobrovetrenny? Aww

Sometimes there is a different name between a city that is found by civ or conquered by that same civ.

But I agree with your translations. Some would not be likely to happen before 2100 AD, but still...

If you use the latest file in the first post you can add those changes and then post it here.

If I can do it, you probably can do it too.

Maybe wait with posting until Usi is finished with the dynamic Chinese city names and then add you changes to that file.

That because we don't own the cities. If a renaissance era Dutch empire would conquer Buenos Aires it would defenitely recieve a Dutch name, maybe not Goede Luchten, but maybe Goedelucht or Luchtstad.
Not necessarily true. The French didn't rename Casablanca, for instance.

Not necessarily true. The French didn't rename Casablanca, for instance.

Also because Morocco was a French protectorate, like a vassal state. Casablanca was never an actual French colony.
They probably never needed to rename it, but only because the French could easily pronounce Casablanca.

If it would've been an Arabic name it would've been Francisized at least.

But sometimes a city gets a total new name, but it's impossible to do that if a city was never conquered in history. Like Recife in Brazil was called Mauritsstad by the Dutch.

Maybe it's possible if a city is conquered by a civ it's called after a great (military) leader, for example France conquers a city like Caracas (which they never owned) and renames it Ville Napoleon or England gets it and calls it Edwardtown if no other (historical) name is in place (and the name don't already exist, of course).

I wouldn't know how to code that, though.

Maybe it's possible if a city is conquered by a civ it's called after a great (military) leader, for example France conquers a city like Caracas (which they never owned) and renames it Ville Napoleon or England gets it and calls it Edwardtown if no other (historical) name is in place (and the name don't already exist, of course)
You are proposing a dynamic city name modmod then? Not a bad idea in itself, but I think you'd better start reading up on Python then... :p

- Added city renaming for New Orleans into 'Roman' (Nova Aurelianum)

At first, I wondered about "Nova Aurelianum" because nova is femininum and Aurelianum is neutre. I did a bit of "research" :goodjob: and found this. So, i think if there is a latin name of New Orleans it's Nova Aurelia.
(This is not important at all, but so is the whole thread;))

Hey, this is for community-development.

If anyone wants to change something to the original which makes it more accurate, do it and post it!

I'll repost the link to the first page if it is properly tested.

Top Bottom