The Citynamemanager-development thread

That's looks like a lot of work... and just typing é or á in the city names works just fine, doesn't it?

Doing so will cause an encoding error, and fixing these characters should take only few minutes.
Be sure to effectively utilize search/replace functionality in whatever text editor you are using (I'm using Notepad++).

Here is Nody's 5th edition of the name manager with an expanded native name map for the Maya. I began researching indigenous toponyms in anticipatino of Baldyr's new default city names. Given the fact that he abandoned that project, I wanted to share my work with the community. This Maya city name map has a name for every North American square that has a name on the English City name map. I was not very consistent with the source of the names. In some places I was able to find the name of a small village on the location that later became a metropolis. In other areas I used the name of entire tribe. In some places, a major river retains it's indigenous name even today, so I used that. If there was more than one tribe in an area I tried to pick one that had a larger role during the history of Euro-American colonization, or one whose name is reflected in the name of one of the 50 states of the USA or a Canadian province. I'm welcome to constructive critiques as well if there are any. I hope no one is offended by the inclusion of certain names at the expense of others, I'm not trying to make any political statements here.

I also fixed the accented vowels in Nody's original name manager. I have not included accented vowels in my own Maya city name map though. That is on my to-do list.

Attachments

• CityNameManager.zip
    79 KB · Views: 162
Uh... thanks, SR! Really cool idea. Are you (part) Native American?

My last version had a few bugs: English and Germans didn't rename when conquering/flipping cities. Maybe now that's fixed?

Can you make the same changes (copy/paste) for the Aztecs? Their AI often colonizes far north of their spawn zone.

I have only tested my map by loading up the Maya and World-building a few settlers.

I do not know if English/German conquering/flipping bug has been fixed. I'm playing a game today as England, so I'll find out.

As soon as the Maya map is finalized (there might be someone else on this board with more knowledge than I do), I'll gladly transfer it to the Aztecs and Inca.

If I get around to it, I'll expand it to South America as well.

And no, I'm not Native American. I'm just very interested in Early American history. I am Dutch-American though. On one side I have Dutch Jews who came in 1939 and on the other side I have ancestors who settled in New Amsterdam (aka New York) in the 17th century.

BTW, I also have made a few tweaks to the French North American map. As well as to the British & Dutch South Africa maps. If anyone is interested here they are:

Attachments

• Tweaks.zip
    79 KB · Views: 174
And no, I'm not Native American. I'm just very interested in Early American history. I am Dutch-American though. On one side I have Dutch Jews who came in 1939 and on the other side I have ancestors who settled in New Amsterdam (aka New York) in the 17th century.

Cool! I'm a (native) Dutchman. :p

Do you have a (typical) Dutch sounding last name?
Do you speak/understand the language?

So, I assume that everyone who has downloaded the dynamic Chinese city names is satisfied by the names I chose.

If not, please reply quickly, because I'll start implementing it sometime around this weekend, and it's gonna be harder to change afterwards.

One name which I myself got bugged was "Ji" on the Beijing's plot for the ancient/classical era.
It's just the capital of Yan, which was not very strong. But I just couldn't find any better city name for that period in the area.

I've added my indigenous North American names to the Aztecs and fixed the umlaut in Königstadt.

Please give me feedback on the North American names. If enough people want it, I think I could make similar maps of South America and Africa (I'm willing to try Australia as well).

Attachments

• CityNameManager.zip
    80.1 KB · Views: 153
I was thinking of putting them on either the Khmer or Japanese maps.

However, my knowledge of Aboriginal Australians is nonexistant, compared to what I know about the indigenous people of the Americas. The fact that they were an illiterate society hinders our ability to learn about their culture.

I was thinking of putting them on either the Khmer or Japanese maps.

However, my knowledge of Aboriginal Australians is nonexistant, compared to what I know about the indigenous people of the Americas. The fact that they were an illiterate society hinders our ability to learn about their culture.

Yes, and they were also totally nomadic. North American native cities is more believable since a lot of those tribes were semi-nomadic and you have ancient sites like the Mississipian culture.

It would be fun, though to found a city in Australia as Japan and it is automatically named Kangoro(u), which is also a believable Japanese name. Or Bo(o)merang as Khmer.

On second thought, I probably won't make an Australian map. (For the reason you stated, aboriginal Australians weren't very sedentary)

Japan already names cities on the northern coast of Australia "Oumu no Dochi". I think this means "land of parrots" or something like that.

Yes, and they were also totally nomadic. North American native cities is more believable since a lot of those tribes were semi-nomadic and you have ancient sites like the Mississipian culture.

It would be fun, though to found a city in Australia as Japan and it is automatically named Kangoro(u), which is also a believable Japanese name. Or Bo(o)merang as Khmer.

Or you could name a city in Australia with no fresh water in its BFC and no way of getting fresh water "Koala" (Koala means no water)

Those cute Koala bears doesn't drink water?

Because they eat a lot of juicy eucalyptus leafs?

EDIT: While you are editing: Can you code that Popham (if founded) is renamed to Portland if it flips to America?

Popham doesn't exist anymore and Portland is the most prominent city in Maine.

Those cute Koala bears doesn't drink water?

Because they eat a lot of juicy eucalyptus leafs?

EDIT: While you are editing: Can you code that Popham (if founded) is renamed to Portland if it flips to America?

Popham doesn't exist anymore and Portland is the most prominent city in Maine.

Koalas aren't bears, don't drink water, and eat poison.

I've made a few more updates to my CityNameManager that I'd like to share. This features an expanded Spanish Map in North America; replacing American cities on England's city map with city names with strong English ties; and a few more modifications to the Dutch & French maps in North America.

Attachments

• CityNameManager.zip
    80.3 KB · Views: 147
I made a few small changes. I also made a few screen-shots to advertise the new Spanish City Names.

To use this, download the zip file and unzip it. Take the citynamemanager.py file and use it to overwrite the existing citynamemanager.py file in the Python Assets folder. But make sure you back up your old citynamemanager!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 303
  • CityNameManager.zip
    80.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 296