The Citynamemanager-development thread

No, I'm assuming that any American nation that arose out of Spanish Colonies would have Spanish as its language instead of English.

Also, when the US took over the SW from Mexico, they preserved Spanish Language place names.

However, I guess I should put something in to rename Nuevo Madrid into New Madrid.

Don't forget renaming Cayo Hueso into Key West after being conquered by England or America.

Done!

I also added French/Dutch names for Belgian Congo and English names for all of East Africa. If people want, I can provide Screenshots.

To use, download the .zip file, extract the .py file out of the .zip file

Cut and Paste the CityNameManager.py file into your ...\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rhye's and Fall of Civilization\Assets\Python directory. Replace the existing CityNameManager.py file

However, don't forget to backup your original citynamemanager!

Attachments

• CityNameManager.zip
    81 KB · Views: 270
I'm still around. I'll take a look and see if the Roman CityNameMap can be expanded. However, that list contains quite a few Neo-Latin Placenames. I don't think it's terribly proper to slap a Latin suffix onto a modern city for the Roman CityNameMap. I'd prefer names that were actually used during the time of the Roman Empire.

I'm still around. I'll take a look and see if the Roman CityNameMap can be expanded. However, that list contains quite a few Neo-Latin Placenames. I don't think it's terribly proper to slap a Latin suffix onto a modern city for the Roman CityNameMap. I'd prefer names that were actually used during the time of the Roman Empire.

Amstelodamum is neolatin too.

My point is we should try to figure out what Romans WOULD have called a location HAD they conquered the area.

Amstelodamum doesn't appear on the CityNameMap. However, it is in the code for renaming Amsterdam if conquered by the Romans. If the Romans settle that spot, then the city is named Traiectum Eruditum. Nearly all of my changes have been made to the CityNameMap which handles the names for cities as they are settled. But if you really want, I can add some neo-latin, but only for when the cities are conquered. I have a lot of things going on right now, so don't expect me to finish this for a week or two.

French names in Brazil are already implemented. If you want to help out, that would be great. My usual strategy for editing the maps is to open the .py file with excel, which lays out the elements of the array in a grid. I memorize the location of the missing name spot, close excel and then open the .py file with notepad++ and edit it there. Be careful though, special characters require HTML code and you must not delete any of the "-1," Lastly, do not attempt to edit the map in excel; only use excel for read-only purposes.

Right now on my to-do list are the following:
Rename indigenous American Cities when captured by European Civ (or America)
Rename African cities to indigenous names if conquered by Ethiopia/Mali.
Rename Congolese cities if conquered by Dutch/French.

I have a few ideas for Roman city-names for the New World. I'm trying to avoid neolatin as much as possible, so I'm using names given by Europeans that happen to include Latin suffixes. For example, Virginia, Carolina, Louisiana (Ludoviciana), Proventia, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Cincinnati etc.

Can I have a copy of the latest edition of you CityNameManager?

Also, does that CityNameManager include all changes in this thread?

Cool, thanks.

I normally play on DoC so I'm gonna add your edits into there. Afterwards I'll edit the vanilla copy to help you on your project.

Right now, I've been playing RFC: Europe, which is why I haven't touched the citynamemanager in a month. I'm glad to see someone else who is interested in helping; especially considering that Nody and the rest stopped contributing a while ago. I haven't played DoC yet (I'm waiting for Leoreth to get a stable version; I don't trust the buggy SorgeForce revisions). Nonetheless, I think his citynamemanager is the same as the one in Rhye's original version, so adding my citynamemanager is simply a case of substituting one .py file for another .py file.

Right now, I've been playing RFC: Europe, which is why I haven't touched the citynamemanager in a month. I'm glad to see someone else who is interested in helping; especially considering that Nody and the rest stopped contributing a while ago. I haven't played DoC yet (I'm waiting for Leoreth to get a stable version; I don't trust the buggy SorgeForce revisions). Nonetheless, I think his citynamemanager is the same as the one in Rhye's original version, so adding my citynamemanager is simply a case of substituting one .py file for another .py file.

Actually Leoreth added Italy, so things changed a bit... but merging them through WinMerge should be easy enough.

French names in Brazil are already implemented. If you want to help out, that would be great. My usual strategy for editing the maps is to open the .py file with excel, which lays out the elements of the array in a grid. I memorize the location of the missing name spot, close excel and then open the .py file with notepad++ and edit it there. Be careful though, special characters require HTML code and you must not delete any of the "-1," Lastly, do not attempt to edit the map in excel; only use excel for read-only purposes.

Right now on my to-do list are the following:
Rename indigenous American Cities when captured by European Civ (or America)
Rename African cities to indigenous names if conquered by Ethiopia/Mali.
Rename Congolese cities if conquered by Dutch/French.

I have a few ideas for Roman city-names for the New World. I'm trying to avoid neolatin as much as possible, so I'm using names given by Europeans that happen to include Latin suffixes. For example, Virginia, Carolina, Louisiana (Ludoviciana), Proventia, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Cincinnati etc.

When you say "Rename indigenous American Cities when captured by European Civ (or America)" do you mean change them to the European names for that given tile? For example, if somehow the Aztecs settled Washington DC (currently Powhatan or Susquehanna I think), and the Europeans conquered it, do you want the name to turn into Washington?

Most of the indigenous names should be identical if conquered by Europeans, but there are few exceptions. Such as Massachusett-->Massachusettts; Mnisota-->Minnesota; Xaymaca-->Jamaica; Ute-->Utah; Kanza-->Kansas; Susquehannock-->Susquehanna; Powatan-->Potomac. There are also various Nunavut Communities such as Igluligaarjuk-->Chesterfield Inlet.

No, it uses its own found names, although I've only limited them to areas where the Italians are likely to settle (Italian peninsula and surroundings, Balkans, Greece, North Africa, Somalia). The rename method is quite extensive though and at least covers all of Europe and the Mediterranean.

Wow man :)
I'm glad this thread still alive..
And..
I was a bit shocked seeing .py files can be opened via Excel -.-"

Top Bottom