The Civ V Expansion Wishlist v2.0

snipperrabbit!!, I like your ideas, although I probably would just say "Turtle" instead of "P'anokseon". I feel Firaxis isn't really big on technical distinctions and would prefer a known thing if it exists and is reflective of the Civ.

Hwarang could be interesting (name could work and ability could work). By any logic whatsoever, it's overpowered in your version. It has the Chinese special ability and a bunch of other stuff too. I think the other stuff is reasonable overall (even if a tad undramatic).

You can translate Hwarang to "youth flowers".
The Hwarang were a military brotherhood of the silla kingdom and favored military, scientific and artistic excellency. Hence, I thought to base the UA on Science & Culture.
I also liked the idea to have a stronger effect for a smaller empire so I decided to make it for the capital only for permanent effect and a country-wide GA bonus for temporary effect. Golden Ages make sense if you read some wikipedia on them, as well as better GG. Maybe percentage are a bit high but this what playtesting is for and thanks to firaxis we will have to wait for 21st of september to playtest vanilla. I'm pretty sure my suggestion is close to balanced but I can't know right now.

Messing P'anokseon with Geobukseon is a very big mistake. It shows you know korea only by ears. You really should try some k-dramas !

The reason I said Turtle is I'm trying to imitate Firaxis' design philosophy, which has been overwhelmingly to focus on popular knowledge in the west of a nation if it won't terribly distort the civ's achievements. Turtles were unique and a part of Korean culture and even people like myself who only have a passing knowledge of Korea (one I've supplemented quite a bit trying to come up with a proposal), know what it is.

BTW, while the Hwrang was also a military thing (there's no direct western parallels, but it can be evocative of Knights in a courtly setting), I was mostly concerned with not making it overpowered. It can't be a scientific, cultural, and military bonus all the time, especially when it steals half of China's UA to do so (I think the general rule of thumb for our ideas is to not change the basic game unless necessary).

Well, there isn't much that is common knowledge in those situations.

The example I use is the Carrack, which has been the Portuguese UU for two games. The reason? Carrack is a ship people have heard of. The problem? The Portuguese equivalent of the ship was the Nau. But they were almost the same thing, so Firaxis went with the one people heard of.

For Landsknecht, most people don't have much common knowledge of troops in the Holy Roman Empire. For Civ4, they were able to introduce it. They can bring it back in Civ5 because it was in Civ4.

Somehow I don't see this particular onus as lying on Firaxis as much as on the education system. Besides, I'm OK living in a world where most people don't know that "Nau" is the correct term for the Portuguese Carrack.

In the other hand we live in an era where one guy feels himself an expert in history by reading two articles in the Wikipedia. My head don't go to explode if they include an overly unknown unit, I don't know what is an Oromo warrior after all and we have one in Civ4.

You prove my point here. If they (firaxis) don't make bold move, then people will stay the same and never get educated.

Firaxis probably doesn't think it's their job to educate people. They want to mirror history to a degree and represent a Civ's flavor (and perhaps look up something they don't know on the Civilopedia and be inspired to learn more), but they also want people who are playing to go "Oh cool, I know that leader or that unit, I think I want to play as them." I feel new players to Civilization tend to go with Civs they kinda know and think are cool, while veteran players tend to go with the ones that play the best (roughly thinking, perhaps not entirely true).

I would like to see some kind of "night movement bonus"
By "moving at night, the unit moving would be invisible to any enemy units that do not have sentry 1 or similar upgrade.
Since there is no day/night cycle in any of the previous games, this could be simulated by doubling the move time of any unit using the action.:thumbsup:

Okay guys, family issues have come up (Namely my grandfather in hospital half way around the world), so I'll take a wee while longer to update.

That's understandable. Sorry to hear that. I hope he'll be alright and obviously real life comes before Civ.

I would love to see City-States get expanded. I want to see CSs that emerge during the game. I want to see City States with changing personalities. I want to see CSs that can evolve into Civs and vice versa. There could be new types of CSs like "invasive" (Mongolia, Huns, Vandals) which are like cross between a militaristic CS and a barbarian camp or "religious" (Jerusalem). There could be CSs that that don't have a physical city (The Vatican, The U.N., Al-Qaeda)

I'm probably thinking too small though. This could all be done easily through mods...

I guess I would be disappointed in any expansion that didn't include huge amounts of content and new art/sound assets. I don't want to see expansions that are basically just expensive mods. But at the same time, I'd like it to come along with "could have easily been modded"-level but professional-quality improvements to the game as well.

I'd love to see some scenarios based in caveman days where you start a tribe without any borders and when you develop a tech like "Tribal Identity" or something, you can start expanding borders.

throw balance out of the window into a raging river.

You pick a random Civ with its UA. Then you get random UU from any of the Civs, then you get either a 2nd UU from or a UB from any of the Civ. You begin with a random start bias from, once again, any of the Civs. These options you can select in the custom game lobby. EDIT: if you get 2 UUs that replace the same type of unit, then you can build both those units.

Spain, mongols, koreans, australia and israel. Thats all i want from your list. Although religions are actually very important so add that too.

Korea
Leader: Sejong
Unique Unit : Hwach'a - replaces cannon. +25% ranged strength against units in OPEN
Unique Unit : P'anokseon - replaces Frigate. -2 strength, +2 ranged strength, unique promotion Turtle ship available (+50% damage)
Unique Building : Pansori - replaces Opera House. -1 unhappiness
Unique Ability:
Hwarang - +25% Science & +50% Culture in Capital.
+50% Science & +50% Culture toward SocPol in all cities during a GA.
Better GG (taken from Chinese UA in exchange of something else)

*I don't like Sejong as the Korean leader, as I think Sejong as a king is a grossly-over-rated beneficiary of his father taking care of business for him (kinda like Philip doing Alexander's pavement work). But I guess the other potential choices also have their flaws: e.g. Park Chung-hee is controversial as a recent dictator, and Yi Soon-sin was not a ruler or even the head of the military forces, etc.

*I think weaker strength than Cannon but multiple attacks (as is the case in the Chukonu unit) makes more sense for Hwacha than +25% strength. Hwacha was an anti-personnel multiple arrow or small rocket launcher, not a medieval Big Bertha :)

*Pansori is not a building but a form of traditional music.

*Hwarang as a science bonus--WTF? Speechless.

Top Bottom