The Civ2 Unit Modeling Thread

Tanelorn

Deity
Part1: Lets draw an Orc.
1) Go to a nice miniature modeling site like: http://www.coolminiornot.com/ and choose a picture of an Orc, like this one: Nice sharp features, not much clutter, etc.
2) Now lets save it and open it in Paint Shop Pro.

3) Now you can go the Catfish way and follow http://users.tpg.com.au/jpwbeest/jp_makingunits01.htm
But I have a confession to make. I am lazy and this is too much work.
So lets think about colors. Colors are light, and there are grades of shade in our image. Lets take the colors out of the picture, for refference:

4) Instead of resizing the actual photo as is I see I have only four colors: green, blue, ivory and brown. So I dont need all those colors in the palette.I reduce the colors to 16 (2 is too few):

I decide now which area of the photo belongs to each color.
5) Let's increase the color depth back to 16bit and delete the backround to the customary magenta with the magic wand tool. Lets set tolerance to, say, 32. It depends on the bacground tone.

It is much easier to do now, with all the complex color blending gone. The picture has sharp edges. The internal shades are discreet.
6) Lets resize the picture to 17% to fit the civ unit frame. I don't want to loose all that crisp outline to the background and I want my shades to remain separate. So instead of "Smart Size" I use "Pixel Resize" and get this:
,which is a reminder of the "Hi-Res" days of yesteryear (...). All the steps up to 6 takes me about 2 or 3 minutes.
7) I make a copy of this last image and then I cut out the part I decided back in step 4 is going to be green:

I do this with the simple paintbrush, painting over the blue, bone/tooth and brown skin parts. Another couple of minutes, more or less.
8) Then I go to adjust\hue and saturation\colorize and paint it green.

9) The entire process up to now took about 5 minutes. Now the real painting part starts. How long it takes depends on the photo quality, skill and inspiration. Lets follow these guidelines:

a) What is away from you and below your line of sight is darker. So the feet, the underside of legs and arms and the back especially is darker.
b) What is closer to you or is hit by light coming from the viewer's side (or frontally) is brighter. Flat surfaces follow this rule, depending on their angle.
c) Cylindrical objects are darker at the sides and brighter in the middle. Spherical objects (convex) are darker along the circumference and brighter at the point closer to the source of light. Concave parts to the contrary are lighter along the circumference and darker inside. Bodies are cylindrical and spherical.
d) Bumps (ribs, corded muscle) are light. Recesses (armpits, neck, earholes) are dark. Also note that arms and any objects carried or worn cast additional shadow.

First I draw the darker parts of the outline, using the burn/ lighten-darken brushes and using the push brush to grade the paint from the darker spot to the lighter one. Where I find a resizing distortion I pick the closest desirable color with the dropper tool, paint it over and use the push brush on it.
Starting from the darker parts I work my way inwards. Unless something really sticks out, it is better to grade colors from darker to lighter using the push brush -as if you were not pressing your pen so much in paper-
Finally, I ink-wash the protruding/ lighter parts, right-clicking the burn and lighten brushes.
It is generally better to use low opacity values, to be able to get the result you want. Once you get the hang of it, you will be playing with the opacity value constantly. For example, my "painting" push brush has opacity at 75 and my ink-washing push brush has it at about 20.

The result is this:

It is useful to have the source photo open somewhere, and zoom at the part painted at that moment. I focus at a single body part each time, as if I was painting a miniature.

10) I repeat steps 7 to 9 for blue (see picture 1 bellow)
11) I match them together. I set magenta as background in transparent selection (pic2).
12) I match them to the rest of the body, because the bone and skin parts are under body part shadow and I want to decide what gets affected (pic3).
13) I detail all bone, teeth and skin following the guidelines in step 9 (pic4).
14) I raise the saturation of rope in adjust\hue and saturation\hue saturation lightness, position the unit in the grid, add a body shadow -thicker where it is under more mass-, slap my sig to the side (pic5) and go for lunch.

An hour to an hour and a half probably. Often less
Good luck.

Attachments

• Orc Snapshot.png
    Orc Snapshot.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 784
  • PSP Open.png
    PSP Open.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 704
  • PSP Black and White.png
    PSP Black and White.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 715
  • PSP 16.png
    PSP 16.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 711
  • PSP Bacground.png
    PSP Bacground.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 697
  • PSP Pixels.png
    PSP Pixels.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 743
  • PSP to be green.png
    PSP to be green.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 735
  • PSP green.png
    PSP green.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 708
  • PSP green painted.png
    PSP green painted.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 744
  • PSP steps.png
    PSP steps.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 728
Nice guide Tanelorn! this weekend i am going to follow it and do some battlefleet gothic ships.

Thanks. I will follow up with painting wood and metal sufaces.
I haven't tried photopaint. Does it have any additional features?

Yes, I agree with you Hans. I am not reinventing the wheel or anything, and I know it might look unsophisticated to someone else but I feel it gives me more control because I am actually drawing the figure (or on the figure) rather than just playing with the filters and such. And that control makes it work faster for me. I am not saying it is "new" or "better". It is faster for me.

Lets use modular Fairline parts to make a Thracian peltast.

1 After locating a source -say in scribd- start with a pose base, like this RCW javelin guy. The goal is the Osprey MAA 360 Thyni night attack guy. Downloading copyrighted material is not advisable.
2 Lets get the helmet out of the way. Decapitate and replace with a generic head for now.Use magenta background colour and transparent selection. To the left is where we are roughly going next.
3 Trim the shield into a pelte shape. Lighten the edge and pushbrush down at 75.
4 Cut the original cape, paste the border from the pose base guy on it. Fill a darker margin in the gaps and pushbrush from the lighter interior to the darker margin. Do the same to the exterior of the cape, to bring it to scale. Darken and burn cause saturation to rise the colour might look off. So be careful, use smaller increments like 10 or 20. Recolour the shoulder area, fill the gaps with a lighter base, darken the rounded edges and pushbrush inwards.
5 Paste the Scythian cap. Draw the earflap with a lighter colour. Pushbrush down from the darker edge. Darken to its sides and pushbrush down again. Light comes from the right so generally stuff to the left is darker than the right, except behind the shield that casts its own shadow. Darken a line on the shirt under the cape.
6 Cut and colorize the shirt. You can also modify the saturation. When you lighten something, move the contrast up not to dull the image. When you darken it move the contast down not to lose pixel discreteness.
7 To make the shirt pattern make another copy of the shirt in white. This is your pattern background colour. To make white decrease saturation way down. Then increase light and contrast. Cut the pattern on the blue shirt and paste it on the white background.
8 Pushbrush blue into the white sideways to fuse the pattent into the cloth. Use small increments, dont overdo it. Move in either the horizontal plane, as here, or the vertical. Doing both doesn't work so well.
9 Cut and recolor his lower legs orange as boots. Drop saturation, light and contast to get brown. Add the margins for the boots and cap flap. Darken slightly behind their perimeter. Pick up details with the lighten brush. Done.

Attachments

• Step by step Peltast.png
    Step by step Peltast.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 532
Looking cool. Do these techniques(I'm guessing Catfish method's as well) work with figures only, or could it work with city styles like Kyriakos'?

That is true for cuved objects. For angular objects that have corners towards the viewer like walls or vehicles start from a sharp lighter edge and pushbrush back on a darker base. Unless there is an overlap, like a ledge or an armour plate. Recesses will be even darker and protrusions even lighter. I will post an example, good point.

Here's a city by Curtsibling. Case point, in frame A you can see the alignment to the sides of the diamond. In B the sharp contrast in the coners. In C the shading under ledges in yellow and the opposite, lighter borders in sharp corners marked with green, towards the viewer and the perceived light source on the roofs.

Attachments

• Example.png
    Example.png
    9 KB · Views: 505
Top Bottom