The East Asia Thread

The horrific cruelty of China's tiger farms revealed – where animals are turned into wine[/URL]

"As few as 3,500 tigers survive in the wild, yet more than 5,000 captive-bred tigers are held in sickening Chinese ‘farms’ and ‘zoos’.

"Now, pictures released by environmental campaigners shame China’s failed efforts to protect these endangered creatures."[/I]

Meh.

It is Red China.

Where they poision the milk they feed their babies, just to keep profits up.
Expecting them to treat animals any better is just plain silly.

Animals electrocuted, strangled and skinned alive: The true face of China's fur farms

"China – the world's largest fur exporter – is put to shame in the haunting footage, which has left animal activists sickened.

"There are no penalties for abusing animals on fur farms in China — farmers can house and slaughter animals however they see fit, animal rights organisation Peta have said.

"Because fur farmers care only about preserving the quality of the fur, they use slaughter methods that keep the pelts intact but that can result in extreme suffering for the animals.

"The horrified investigators on the farm said they found scenes beyond their worst imaginings and concluded: "Conditions on Chinese fur farms make a mockery of the most elementary animal welfare standards."

Why can't we ever have good news about China?

Indeed. A story I actually researched, about China's extreme number of executions and it's relationship to the human organ trade in Asia - I simply declined to post because it made the Chinese government look too dastardly. Like Comic-book villians.

It's still Communist China, and perhaps youth today - born after the Cold War - don't quite get that.

I myself am pro-chinese culture. But their country is still run by bad guys, who have a fundamentally different take on power than in the liberal, democratic West.

And now with the Internet, the Chinese diaspora and media coverage due to a rising super-power, China's warts are revealed to the world.

Harvesting organs from death row inmates is tame. There was a scandal a while ago where people in transit camps were being picked out, killed and then harvested. Damned, if I can find the story though.

In Germany a recent incident made the news where German journalist got caught in a car chase, were subsequently forced to a stop and then some mean guys started to attack the car with clubs. The journalists then managed to escape, though. Supposedly local politicians are responsible. It is said that the more you move away from the central authorities the more dangerous it gets, because local authorities were less concerned with public image.

Was it German police who chased and tried to beat the journalist for a profit under direction from a police commissioner?

China's old guard bows out: Xi all set to become President

"BEIJING: China's old guard led by President Hu Jintao on Tuesday bowed out of power after highlighting the communist giant's rise as a world power during their decade long rule, paving the way for new leader Xi Jinping to assume charge of the world's second largest economy."

SiLL said:
I don't find that helpful

I questioned the relevance of your anecdote.

I am not seeing on what grounds. Your post is incomprehensible to me in its intend.

Perhaps we're misunderstanding you. It seemed as if you were comparing bad German authorities with bad Chinese authorities. We didn't see a valid comparison or true relevance. Would you like to explain specifically what you meant by your entry? Please be explicit. Cite the original news story if you can. Thanks.

That wasn't clear from what you posted.

Top Bottom