The Exiled

Vishaing

The Son
How it feels to be a Napoleon...
someone had to start this thread, so it might as well be me.

I've had the Exile system happen to me, and frankly it almost destroyed a game I had tried to set up to make a fun historical 'what if' thing. I understand this is definately a work in progress, and I do like the idea, there are just a few things I think could be done better. But those things won't get done if Rhye doesn't Get feedback right? So lets get him some Feedback!

1, I didn't like taking over another civ, it just didn't feel right to me.

2, It seems to be a 'second chance' for a human who bites off more than they can chew, which I have a few ideas about.

3, I retook the capitol and it did nothing? I think it was a bug, but I don't have a save anymore.

4, What happens when you do retake your capitol? Do you keep the territory of the civ you were exiled to?

5, In one game test of this I relocated my Capitol from Roma to Constantinopolis before Germany got to Roma, but I was still exiled. I'm not sure if this was intended or simply a bug, or a slight flaw in the code, but I have a solution to it that depends on the flexibility of Python. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I think it would help.

Essentially, at the start of the game and when a game is loaded, the program searches a civ's cities list, finds the capitol, get that capitol's plot, and makes that the coordinate for the captiol in the Python def exile(): function. Also, whenever a city completes production, a check runs through to see if they built a palace, and if they did, the city what built it (am I talking like a Pirate?) is made the capitol variable. This ensures it immediately accounts for relocating the capitol, which seems like a good idea to me, and can be a sort of last ditch effort to run away, which has been executed in history. Furthermore, the checking for Capitols at the beginning of each game and when the game loads ensures that we don't need to change the save and load game functions to store additional data.

I don't like how this only happens to the human, whereas with an AI civ they just have their cities surrendered, but it HAS given me an idea on how to combine the two.
************************[My Idea]

The loss of a Capitol is a devestating thing to a Government, how many games have been made on the premise of 'Washington DC is conquered and America Splinters!!'?
Instead of taking over a new civ, I propose this;

When you (or the AI) lose your Capitol, a new one is randomly chosen like right now. Then the bad stuff happens. Since you made a Last Minute Evacuation, some of your techs might be lost. I would say each tech from your current era has a 10% chance of being lost. (techs from the previous eras are so well known that they won't be lost. Also, once Mass Media, or some other similar tech is discovered, you don't lose techs anymore because you can transmit data on them instantly.) Then, each city and unit has a chance of 'going rogue'. This chance should increase with distance from your new capitol, but potentially be decreased based on civics, and slightly on techs. For instance, once Automobiles are around, the Empire shouldn't crumble as much when losing its center.. But that would be a complicated thing to program, and simplicity should be retained.

************************[/End My Idea]
While fairly different, I think this is a good combining of the AI fall system and the Human Exile system. Also, its rather extreme, but losing a capitol should be, after all, its your capitol. A clever player will never have this happen to them, and will be able to make this happen to an opponent.

jbfballrb said:
I think the game has pre-programmed coordinates for the capitals, like X,Y=Rome, and if that's lost, you're exiled, and you have to reconquer that.
Yes, but that doesn't quite make sense because like Vishaing said, historically capitals have been moved to keep the government out of conquerers' hands.

Ive fallen pray to being exiled myself, Ive then come back and retaken my former capitol. It did absoloutely nothing at all. Is there no way to retake the civ you were formerly in?

Though the idea would be pretty complicated to set up and fine-tune, I think it would be a great addition. You'd have to react quickly and effectively if you don't want to be overcome by instability, and it makes more sense than immediately assuming command of another civ.

Also, once Mass Media, or some other similar tech is discovered, you don't lose techs anymore because you can transmit data on them instantly.)

Internet?

Well, seems something's wrong with the exile system... fortunately it's never happened to me.

As for the system you suggest, Vishaing, I don't really think the tech loss is a good idea, as techs would probably just be stored in several places, so it isn't realistic. But some chance of a city 'going rogue', maybe going barbarian, or even leading to the rise of a dead civ, e.g. Germany owns France, loses capital, French people see chance to get independence, and revolution! That would be quite realistic, and I don't think it'd screw up gameplay.

In CIVII, there was allways a chance of civil war when a capital fell. A new civ was spawned with the same techs as the old one, and formed of the cities far away from the capital.
I like the idea of the respawning of a conquered civ.
I even would like to see civs (like CHina overrrun by the mongols) get respawned befor nationalism.

Top Bottom