1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fall of a Warlord...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: RPG' started by Vandal Warlord, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

[OOC]This is moving way too fast for me. Sorry, work is really getting in the way. I will hurriedly post my thoughts and hope they suffice. If I had more time, the story would be a lot grander. :sad:

2. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

[ooc] take your time cyc there is no need to rush.[/ooc]

3. Cyc

The meeting went well, although there was some dismay on the part of Lord Civius. Prince Cedric (pretty much sober) was not bothered much by the plan, although he had reservations about his battlefield positioning.

No one was to attack. That was the plan?:eek:

Prince Cedric was to position his swordsmen at the foothill of his current location, and await further orders. This orders would most likely be to advance slowly, to provoke a response. If Vandal chose to attack his fellow citizens from Kassite, it would be a sign of his instability. A brief flurry of action was approved, but a timely withdrawl should be given, if things went badly. They would probably be facing the The Hounds of Gallow, if Cyc guessed right. They would need reinforcements just to get out alive, but reinforcements were not part of the plan. Vandal would know he was out-numbered. If he was insane enough to sacrifice everyone for nothing, then he would deserve to be ash under the feet of our troops. The Princes swordsmen were that test.

Lord Civius seemed to be chomping on the bit, so to speak. He wanted Vandal hanging in several pieces over a fire. And he may just get that. But when I asked him not to attack until the order was given by the General or myself, he sort of gagged on his very well cooked leg of lamb. I moved closer to him and offered a cup of wine, which he tasted...and with a nod of approval spat out onto the ground.

"Not attack?" he said, eyes wide and staring into mine, his face moving slightly closer to mine. Lowering his voice, "Are you mad, m'lord? We have him. Venice is in our grasp. It's a matter of walking in and getting it done."

Regent Cyc thought briefly, then "And I may need you to do just that, Lord Civius. But please wait for the signal. Flaming arrows into the clearing will be that very signal." He glanced at Prince Cedric, to make sure he understood. Cedric nodded.

"Good. Then I have a plan, that which might move us away from civil war and rebellion. Death and destruction. Let me work what little magic I have left. And if it fails, you may work yours, my friend."

Bewildered, each commander returned to their camp. They agreed to cooperate, at least with a hand-shake. Regent Cyc must have his bases covered for a "non-plan" such as this.

In the morning, just before sunrise, Cedric's troops were in place. Lord Civius still chomping at the bit in his location. Cyc had the Elephants atop the hiil, waiting for the sun to rise over Venice. The stage was set. The crowd awaited Vandal's entrance.

4. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Back at the camp, Sindar had worked himself into a kind of trance - he was training, and he was faster than ever - he was performing advanced and dangerous moves with a sword in each hand in a ferocious tempo. Today was going to be a decisive day in his life.

5. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

OOC: Nevermind.

6. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vandal looked across the feild , at the Valley, and hill before them. He had spent a long while before Arete came to use the battle against them. He looked to Sindar, who was now mounted with his forces in tow. Then he looked to Andro, who stood with the main army. He raised his bow, and lit the arrow alight and fired at the ground before Cedric's men. The ground lit afire, for Vandal had spread oil, before them all night long. Then he he screamed his war cry and they charged. All of the Hounds of Gallow, charging one army, as one massive horde of bloodthirsty warriors.

Cedric watched the fre die out before them an then for the first time, had an appifiny of his father. In which He ordered all of his forces to retreat, exept for himself who rode up to the horde. And upon raching them he yelled "STOP!"

And every Hound stopped. Cedric then dismounted and walked up to his father.

"The feud, must end. Even if it means my life" Cedric smiled, as his father invited him to join, as they were to charge the main army. But then, Fransico Pizzaro Aproached Vandal, with fire in his heart.

7. Cyc

Cyc and Sylvia watch in silence as Vandal shoots a lit arrow before Cedric's men. All are surprised when the battlefield lights. Then the Hounds of Gallow rush towards the fire that separates them and Cedric's men. The fire dies down quickly and just before the charging horde reaches Cedric, he calls for a retreat. Riding for the horde approaching, he holds up his hand and orders them to halt. Which they do! All is still in the smokey clearing before Venice.

Cedric and Vandal come together, father and son, both in full regalia. A sight to behold. Cyc signals the trumpeters, who send off the long notes that indicate the approach of the highest military. General Fransico Pizzarro moves toward the battlefield with his close personal guard. He is now half the distance between Cyc and Vandal, and signals that he wants a brief truce and conference with Vandal. Vandal proudly stands beside his son, takes of his gloves, and moves his forces back.

"He appears to have passed the test, m'Lady. Shall we?'
    Their two horses move at a slow gallop towards the confernce. All of the King's forces, including the Elephants slowly follow behind them.

8. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vandal the Burning, he was now called, after his display of fire, stood before Regent, Soon-to-be-king ,Cyc, Lord Civius, Vandal's former supiorior during the Arkadian Dynasty, and Fransico Pizzaro, a well know and glorious general.
    He crossed his arms and began.
    " I am prepared to end the blood shed between us, and combine our peoples, would you accept?" Cyc asked.

"Heh, not without a fight. I wish to duel Fransico Pizzaro, if I win Venice, stays free, If you win I join Arete peacfully." Vandal replied.

Cyc hesitated but accepted. The duel would begin now,outside of Venice, on the cliff before the sea. Vandal was armed with Both his blade and his son's blade, with the general weilding his own blade. The squared off, and then began. Vandal charged the general and their blades collieded. Vandal pushed foreward but Fransico kicked him and caused him to fall back, Vandal quickly got up and charged him again. They engaged in gracefull but powerfull attacks, and parrys, until Vandal was at the end of the cliff, when he saw, his long lost daughter, Silvia.

"Silvia."

That was Vandal's last word, before he was slashed at the chest and fell off the cliff to hit a nearby rock and fall to the water. Cedric was filled with rage and greaf, and enirly on instinct pulled a daggar form his belt and ran at the General. At the point Fransico turned Cedric had periced the blade into his heart. And so the genral instatly died, and Cedric fell, to the ground in tears. Silvia too was in tears, but was comforted by Cyc. Sindar who watched this event from afar, turned away, but shed one tear, in the memory of the Warlord. But All of that was ended by the Sound of a Babylonian War horn, in which everyone looked to see A large Babylonian army coming from the hills. In which ewveryone got to their armies for a combined attack. And at the helm, was Cedric, who commanded only himself. Who stood before the Babylonian Army with Bothe his, and his father's blade, ready for the Battle of Venice.

9. Diamondeye

[OOC: Pizarro is to survive to continue instructions in Edorai. And we are not at war with Babylon. Yet]

Sindar had watched the show from the front line. He saw Cedric and Vandals reunion and the Fall of the Warlord. He looked down at Ymira.
    "We have nothing to do here. Let us leave now that the fight is over."
    He pulled her up on his horse, behind him, and rode slowly forward, cape over his head.
    He stopped in short, but respectable, distance of the king, and looked at the king and his advisors before lifting the hood.
    "Farewell, Aretans. I may return once I feel you are worthy of my assistance. Until then, I wish you good luck and prosperity now that the greatest of warlords have fallen. And I am not referring to Pizarro."

With those words he turned the horse around and galloped away with Ymiras arms clenched around him and tears in his ears. One of the most grand personalities of Aretania had fallen, but he had won Ymira. It would be a long time before he would miss living among the bureaucratic narrowminds of the empire. For now, he was leaving for yet another adventure, this time with little or no lethality in it, but filled with peace and quiet. An adventure of love, as grand as it can be.
    "Goodbye Vandal", he whispered to himself. "Goodbye, my friend."
    He imagined that the wind would carry his words to the next world.

10. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

OOC: @Diamoundeye: RP wise Pizarro dies, and this battle is like the final straw, before War.

Silvia stood before the sword placed before the cliff where her father died. The Battle of Venice, ended with a Babylonian retreate, and her brother sent to a doctor, for his injuries. She was still crying, she lost her father, whom she never had seen for years, and her brother may die. Her family was gone, save her Aunt, and extended family. She was torn. But then she heard a groan. She looked up to see a hand raise from the side of a cliff. Then she saw her father's face as he pulled himself onto the cliff.

A Warlord, never dies. ;)

11. Cyc

And they all lived Happily Ever After. :king:

12. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Hah! Yeah right! :p

13. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I stood and listened to Cyc and Vandals conference. It was the first time I'd looked into Vandals eyes since that day, so long ago. He looked tired, not physically but mentally. The duel was the greatest combat I'd ever seen and it seemed to awaken my warrior spirit that I layed to rest so long ago. As they edged toward the cliff I feared the Shadow Agents would be spotted. Contrary to my orders from Cyc I sent Oda and an elite few from our ranks to scale the cliff and only attack if Vandal charged. As Oda heard the words "Sylvia" he was reaching the top of the cliff and all of a sudden there was the shadow of a man above him. His first instinct was to reach out his arm, he felt nails digging into his skin. Then he was looking into the mans eyes, "Vandal?"..............................................

14. Diamondeye

Sindar and Ymira was stopped at the outskirts of the Aretan camp by a guard who had not yet seen the drastic finale of the battle and took them for Vandals warriors - which they were, ofcourse. "Where do you think you are going?" He demanded as they approached, holding a spear against them.
    "Away, now."
    Sindar replied and pushed the horse back into movement.
    "Halt, you can't do that!"
    Sindar quickly unsheathed his sword and cut the mans right wrist. His powers vanishing, the man dropped the spear and held his shield over himself in protection.
    "I'll do what I want, okay?"
    Sindar replied as they finally escaped the sounds and smells of battle. He heard Ymira giggle behind him and felt her lips against his neck from behind.

15. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vandal approached Lord Civius, his wounds recently patched up.
    "Where is the bastard, that abandoned the Battle of Venice!?!" Vandal screamed.
    "He goes by the name Sindar."

16. Cyc

Cyc raised an eyebrow as he glanced at Vandal. Then he contiued putting maps and charts into the heavy leather cache. "When you have regained your sensibility, Vandal, and lowered your voice, then we can continue this discussion."

Vandal stopped just inside King Cyc's tent. Almost everything had been packed and put to transport on Elephants. A large wooden table and some personal items were the bulk of what was left. He through his arms down to his sides, so that they slapped the leather coat, and rolled his eyes... took a deep breath, and said in a softer yet hurried voice "Yeah, fine... look. Time is of the essance here. My primary goal at this point is to find that sniveling little Sindar. How dare he run from battle."

Cyc tightened the straps on his case and smiled, "Your primary goal, as I see it is to finish healing so that I can decide what to do with you. If you die because of infected wounds, cremation will be my first option. Hmmm...", the King smiled. "We'd wind up burning you anyway, huh."

"I'm fine", erupted Vandal. A hand went to his chest because of the pain. "Give me a horse and my blade and I'll find him." He then sat on the edge of the table, looking at the dirt below him.

The King really tried not to smile at the Warlord. "Sorry, Vandal. I'm under strict orders from your daughter. You go nowhere until she releases you. And she has the King's backing, so be careful not to mess this up. We are already aware of Sindar's whereabouts and are in pursuit. We would have let him go, but he wounded one of my troops on the way out. I've spoken with the wounded soldier myself and it appears we have to re-adjust Sindar's attitude. I believe Lord Civius is looking into it." Cyc through the case on a stack that was to be packed next. "Now... I have a Coronation to prepare for. Is there anything else you need before you return to your tent?" Cyc motioned three heavily armed Elite gaurds to accompany Vandal back.

Vandal slid off the table, "Women!" he said, clutching his chest again...

17. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

OOC: Vandal the Buring and his Ultimate fall are expressed in this post. Contribution is welcome.
    Spoiler :

Vandal walked into his home and into his living room. He walked over to a dreeser that he had kept locked up for years. He unlocked it and opened the doors, where he saw, his father's armour, before he had died, by execution of the Triad. He looked at strong plated chest mail. He then took off his shirt and put on his fathers chest mail. then he put on his father's shin plates, and then he looked at his father's sword. It was curved at the end, and was made of Bronze that was plated over ten times, before they smoothed the blade to hold the greatest grace and strength. He picked it up and then sheathed it before closing the doors and walking out of the living room. He was going to war. That was the only thought in Vandal's mind when he was in the living room, and the only thing Vandal had written in in his letter to his son, hoping the Cedric woud come to see him off.

Then Vandal heared a peircing scream of one of his pets. He bolted out side to see his pets slain before him. He looked up to see the Alpha Male fall, as its head bounded against the ground. He looked to See that there were theree Samurai before him each with a Katana pointed at him. Then he saw a familiar face walk out from the trees. It was his Uncle, Ulrik. Ulrik smiled and then unsheathed his own Katana.

"Hello Teunoc." Ulrik laughed.
    "Ulrik!? What have you done?!"Vandal yelled at himfurious for seeing his powerfull beasts cut down in cold blood.
    " I have come to take what is rightfully mine. The cheifhood of the Gallow, that you took from me so long ago."Ulrik frowned.

Vandal's eyes widened. "That happened thousands of years ago! I deafeted you in a duel, and I became Cheif!"

"But I hold grudges." Ulrik and his men charged Vandal. Vandal drew his father's sword and attacked the Samurai. He blocked a lunge and then slashed out at a Samurai. The Samuari jumped back but lost his balance and fell down. VAndal then turned to parry another Samurai's slash. Vandal head-butted the Samurai and he fell unconcious to the ground. The third samurai managed to slash Vandal's back. Vandal groaned but most of the slash was taken by the Armour so Vandal turned to slash at the Samurai, Killing the man by cutting off his head, like they had done to his pets. Vandal then turned and Charged his Uncle his sword blazing. Ulrik stood his ground until Vandal was close enough. When he pulled out a daggar and stabbed Vandal'chest. The force was not much, so Vandal just stagered back to see the Daggar lodged in his chest, he ripped it out and threw it back at his Uncle, who fell to the Ground with the Daggar lodged in the Middle of his forehead. Vandal then felt weak and he fell to one knee.

Then he realized that Ulrik had poisoned the Daggar. Vandal got up shaking to See the Samurai he knocked down up and Charging him with his katana. Vandalpicked up his blade and charged too. When they met at the Middle Vandal Slashed at the man, who was cut in half, but not before shashing at Vandal's stomach, at which Vandal fell to the ground. He threw up blood as he lay. At which he heared Cedric yell. "Father!" and he ran over to Vandal who had turned over to look at the sky. He was trembling to see his father, one of the most feared men in all of Arete, lying on the ground, mortally wounded.

Vandal smiled and whisped, "Hello Cedric." He grinned, "Well it looks like I'm a goner." He laughed,a nd then coughed up blood.

"No."Cedric whispered. "NO!!!!!"

Vandal then blinked a one last time. "You, are cheif now." His face lost all expression. "Tell the family I love them."

Then he looked at Cedric. "I love you too."

And with that, Vandal the Buring, drew his last breath and left the world to go off to his Pagan heavens. Never once did he abandon his people, family of religion. And he will be remembered in Arete's History, for all eternity.

"We will find a way, or Make one."- Vandal the Rebel, during the Vandal Rebellion.

Play this song when reading Vandal's last moments.