"The Forgotten World" Mod

Ozymandias

In Terra Fantasia
Supporter
First, a very brief "historical" overview -

Before the most recent Ice Ages (we just happen to call the most recent one "The Ice Age") was a period of time similar to ours with the ghastly name, "Eemian." It lasted from about 130,000 - 115,000 years ago.

People - Homo sapiens - have been around for 200,000+ years. "The Forgotten World" assumes that we wandered out of Africa, strolled around, and began settling down all over the place at about the same time. It was a warmer and wetter world. Scandinavia was an island; the Sahara was fertile; there was a "Lake Chad" where the country of Chad is today, and it was about the same size.

Rather than having Culture Groups be adjacent Civs with similar ethnicities or religions, in TFW, Culture Groups reflects the types of environment in which each Civ has evolved. So there are Sea Peoples, Hill Peoples, Plains Peoples, Forest Peoples, and River Peoples - scattered separately, all over the globe.

Each Culture Group will also have one Civ of each Flavor - Scientific, Religious, etc. So many UUs - and Improvements -

Each Culture Group will begin with, and be immediately able to build, an Obelisk unique to its Group. Each will cost next to nothing, and will provide +1 Content & + 1 Culture. I'm guessing it'll be the first Improvement built in most cities, and many specific Improvements will be dependent upon it. There will be Great Wonders only available to one specific CG etc.

Each Culture Group will also one Civ with each of the Traits; I have already "designed" UUs for Religious Sea Peoples etc.

I'm guessing that the 1st Era Tech tree will be very different for each Culture Group; I'd like to see how many later-Era Improvements I can devise requiring earlier ones, etc.

... And I want this puppy to be fun! I've already decided that earlier advancements in metallurgy will give us room for plenty of steam tanks (not "Steampunk;" no "ether fliers" & whatnot.) Given the generally conservative nature of militaries, widespread use of the internal combustion engine will first begin with a "fringe," then increasing enthusiasm for air ships. The first AFVs will be armored cars built to protect aeroports.

Concern: keeping the myriad Civs colorful and different will be easy for the 1st two Eras or so; limits begin to come into play with the limited types of first steam tanks then air ship units available. I really don't want the Civs, in all their glory, to become too much alike, just before the coming Ice Age erases all memory of them ...

- Thoughts?

All sounds Very "Cool" Ozy... I like the idea of making the Civs very different. That will add different game play for each Civ, setting up many games in one so to speak.
In reality, Many things were lost as people and cultures died in the past. There were, no doubt, extremely advanced cultures that had knowledge more advanced than we now believe we are today.

You have an Open Canvas to work with Ozy and many things you can do with that. You could interject many technologies and advancements that were lost before we "Discovered" them again as well as the Technologies that we have not yet re-discovered yet... Such as: was there a Lost City of Atlantis, did some cultures possess knowledge of Medicine and Weapons that were more advanced than we are today? We all think we understand the Past Cultures and Peoples of the world as being lesser than we are today but were they really lesser or did all knowledge of who they really were get lost with them and we all have started over with our evolutionary technologies and advancements to become what we are today.

I agree with you in keeping the Civs different, rather than all the same... Some should have technologies far beyond others such as weapons, etc... If handled well, that would not be a Game Changer because just like a Spearman can "Kill"a Tank, it is all about what you do with what you have. Plenty of room to have big differences between the Civs. A few thousand Zulu Warriors against one hundred technologically advanced people type thing.

This type of Game opens MANY possibilities and the things that could be added are profound, given thought and introspection based on studies of past Cultures and Peoples of the world, long gone and forgotten... Great Fun :)

All sounds Very "Cool" Ozy... I like the idea of making the Civs very different. That will add different game play for each Civ, setting up many games in one so to speak.
In reality, Many things were lost as people and cultures died in the past. There were, no doubt, extremely advanced cultures that had knowledge more advanced than we now believe we are today.

You have an Open Canvas to work with Ozy and many things you can do with that. You could interject many technologies and advancements that were lost before we "Discovered" them again as well as the Technologies that we have not yet re-discovered yet... Such as: was there a Lost City of Atlantis, did some cultures possess knowledge of Medicine and Weapons that were more advanced than we are today? We all think we understand the Past Cultures and Peoples of the world as being lesser than we are today but were they really lesser or did all knowledge of who they really were get lost with them and we all have started over with our evolutionary technologies and advancements to become what we are today.

I agree with you in keeping the Civs different, rather than all the same... Some should have technologies far beyond others such as weapons, etc... If handled well, that would not be a Game Changer because just like a Spearman can "Kill"a Tank, it is all about what you do with what you have. Plenty of room to have big differences between the Civs. A few thousand Zulu Warriors against one hundred technologically advanced people type thing.

This type of Game opens MANY possibilities and the things that could be added are profound, given thought and introspection based on studies of past Cultures and Peoples of the world, long gone and forgotten... Great Fun :)

Some of my unit ideas are, essentially, embedded within each Culture. Like. for tanks: Forest Peoples will tends to have lighter, faster, Blitz-capable ones; Sea Peoples a "compromise" like the WW2 Sherman - good enough for all-around is use, and light enough to be transported by boats; Plains People heavier/heaviest ones; etc.

So the ice age will be vanilla game's global warming? Instead of turning to desert, tiles will turn to ice?

So the ice age will be vanilla game's global warming? Instead of turning to desert, tiles will turn to ice?

:lol: I was actually toying with the idea of turning "Pollution" into "Frost" with pretty much every Improvement causing Pollution, especially as I've never seen an AI worker clean it up. Instead, I decided that would occur during an (imaginary) 5th or 6th Era. What I have decided is to end the game at a sort-of-Diesel Punk Industrial Era - so, no nukes to leave high traces of Strontium 90 and Cesium 137 for us to discover and ponder, or lasers to etch their otherwise to be forgotten history in sheets of diamond. It is, after all, a Forgotten World. :)

Ozymandias creating the world of Ozymandias. I really like it. I like the idea of end-game apocalypse. I'm modeling my mod to do the same, except in our future with climate change brought on by either unchecked pollution or nuclear wars. It's very interesting to think of the polar (pun) opposite, though. Where ocean->sea->coast->grassland->tundra->ice.

Ozymandias creating the world of Ozymandias. I really like it. I like the idea of end-game apocalypse. I'm modeling my mod to do the same, except in our future with climate change brought on by either unchecked pollution or nuclear wars. It's very interesting to think of the polar (pun) opposite, though. Where ocean->sea->coast->grassland->tundra->ice.

OK, now this is serious "memory-mining" ( :please: ) but I believe there is a fairly rigid sequence of tile transformations from global warming (here's another vague recollection: that you can change the naming and properties of certain of the tile files to "fool" the A.I.)

I believe there is a fairly rigid sequence of tile transformations from global warming
Not just global warming*.

The default epic-game "Pollution effects", which are set in the Editor ("Edit Rules", Terrain tab) are:

Oceans/ Sea/ Coast: no effect
Mountains/ Volcanoes/ Hills/ Tundra: no effect
Jungle/Forest --> [Base-terrain]
(NB vegetation-changes seem to take priority over base-terrain-type changes, so global-warming tile-effects can be fought by Re-Foresting e.g. Tundra)
Grass --> Plains
Plains --> Desert
Marsh --> Coast
(also set, but doesn't happen)

Regarding that last, AFAIK, no Land <--> Water transitions will work as intended -- or even at all. But within the Land-tiles, you can reset the pollution-effects any way you like, so e.g. if you wanted your Forgotten World to gradually freeze over, starting primarily from the poles, and progressing towards the equator, you could set

Jungle/ Forest/ Marsh --> [Base-terrain]
Mountains --> Hills (worn down by Glaciers?)
Desert --> Plains
Hills/ Plains --> Grass
Grass --> Tundra
Spoiler * :
For a tile to be degraded, one of the following must occur:
-- A Nuke-blast: instantly degrades all 9 tiles in the blast-radius (by one step)
(requires at least one [bombardment?] unit with the 'Nuclear weapon' flag to be buildable/ usable: so in your Mod, maybe a "Freeze-bomb"?)
-- Rampant global warming: tiles degrade at random, anywhere in the world
(set all buildings to produce [industrial] pollution, and none to relieve pollution?)
-- Tile remains polluted for multiple turns
(make Workers scarce, and/or make the 'Clear pollution' Worker-job require hundreds of turns?)

Last edited:
I thought a nuclear attack didn't degrade tiles, the pollution left unchecked did, but nuclear attacks kick off global warming if worldwide pollution hasn't already?

It matters not - Of all things, a Civ2 (!) scenario I enjoyed Oh So Many Moons ago involved Atlantis - and its sinking came to mind (you could do that with the Civ2 editor: have tiles change completely on a certain turn) and how frustrating that was, drowning the Minotaur (and I can't recall what else.). So I've decided against Frost ending a hopefully wonderfully entangled world of airships and steam tanks, with only a late entry of aircraft (when they're able to climb as high as zeppelins) and whatever other mischief I might conjure up :mischief:

sorry for the delayed reply. I especially like the idea of using a wide variety of flavor units.

Hope these ideas spark further brainstorming.

• iirc correctly, the landmark terrains degrade to match the changes listed above. Clever use can make your changes appear more radical.
  • TAM has unique wonders for each civ that produce UUs or other benefits. Might be worth a look to see if there's anything you can adapt.
  • An ancient long-buried discussion on nomadic civs might give you some further ideas.

Top Bottom