1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gang of Four - FRFR Redux

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Sir Bugsy, Jan 23, 2004.

1. gormdragan

gormdragan King

dump cannons on galleons, can activate them offshore and shot the enemy vessel. :D

2. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Nice trick! I'll have to remember that one. Could have come in handy back in DI1

3. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Gormdragon,
    Are you sure that works? I thought I tried to activate artillery units on a boat in one of Aggie's games, but didn't get the bombard option buttons, and so thought you couldn't bombard from boats.
    OTOH, it wouldn't be the first time I thought I tested something and turned out to be wrong...

4. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I'm going to test it out in the Classic GOTM game, just to see if it works. If it does, it will be a great trick.

5. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Gorm, what do you know?

6. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

:bump: So gorm, are you still playing or has RL sent you off to a far flung corner of the globe again.

7. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Since this game has been sitting idle since June 22nd, and since I have not heard much from first Gengis and now Gorm, I make a command decision to skip to the next player which is me. Gorm posted a ‘got it” on July 4th. Another game down to the Bugs & Bede Show. What is it with these FRFR games that make them slow down to nothing? :rolleyes:

Playing on 1.15

I go down gorm’s list and make as many changes as I think make sense (about 98% of them). That takes about an hour.
    I get some units and pillage a bunch of tiles in our new lands.

We need 176 squares, there are 100 unclaimed, 218 belonging to the Dutch.

1. 1800 AD – Capture Cardesh, then move a settler in, abandon the city and build New Lillehammer.

2. 1802 AD – Harlingen falls. Lauwersoog falls. We’re down to 144 tiles needed. Population is at 64%.

3. 1804 AD – Not much.

IBT – The Dutch drop off an MDI next to Holwerd

4. 1806 AD – Retreat a galleon full of zerks back to Holwerd and whack the MDI.

Found New Elverurn. Delft Falls. 126 tiles to go.

5. 1808 AD – Groningen falls. 109 tiles.

IBT – William has two counters with a large landing and a single unit landing.

6. 1810 AD – Antioch will fall in the IBT. Rush a cav in a nearby city.

IBT – As expected Antioch falls. New Haugesund is burned to the ground as the two zerks defending are killed.
    Breda flips.
    7. 1812 AD – Found a second version of New Haugesund on our mainland. A cav is one his way to capture Antioch. Kill the reminder of the Dutch invasion force one turn too late for New Haugesund.
    A force of Dutchmen have moved next to Groningen. Move our boatloads of zerks back into port and start whacking Dutchmen.
    Breda is recaptured by a boat of passing zerks. One loses his life. With all of that, we’re at 108 tiles from a win. 65% of pop.

IBT – The Dutch move another stack next to Groningen. We lose a zerk to the remaining LB.

8. 1814 AD – Antioch is recaptured. Found New Falun on the Mainland.

IBT – Portugal and Egypt sign an MPP.

9. 1816 AD – Start an assault on Utrecht, but call it off when our first two zerks are killed. Move some cavs into position. We need 87 tiles to win. 62.3% of land. 65% of pop.

10. 1818 AD – Gorm’s cannon from a boat trick doesn’t work. I attack Maastricht with two cavs. One dies and one produces a leader.

The Egyptians keep building roads over by Den Helder. They just finished another one so you’ll have to pillage it.

We have 82 tiles to Domination. The Netherlands have 136 tiles. They are pretty much gassed. There are units, settlers and cannon aboard ships that can be used to finish it off. Keep rushing temples and settling cities (The Delft area could grab another city or two.

Here’s the situation:
    ]

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/Gang_of_Four,_1818_AD.SAV

Bede, I believe the honor will be yours. :hatsoff:

8. Bede

Bede Deity

Got it..............

But no dispatches until late Saturday earliest

9. Sirian

Sirian Designer, Mohawk Games

Sorry to see your game bogging down. Some games are worth the journey even if you do not reach a destination. :)

- Sirian

10. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I felt the same way about your original FRFR game. In both cases I learned a lot. I think the problem has been disappearing players.

11. Bede

Bede Deity

1818-1838

Well the journey got longer.

First eight turns were spent trading Groningen back and forth. Lose it, retake it, lose it, and so on until I took it and razed it. Same thing happened at Breda. There was a settler waiting who is now on land and ready to build a town. Harlingen flipped once and then Middleburg. There are forces ready to take back Middleburg.

Long about 1832 Cleopatra came a'calling asking for an MPP. I turned her down at first and took a whole lot of money for Saltpeter and iron, then signed on as Willie has some galleons wandering around looking for targets.

Well, lo and behold, Henry comes calling in 1834 looking for iron. Okay, let's just see what Cleopatra is made of. So I turn him down, he declares war and proceeds to take most of old India from us. Cleo is a little late to the party as she has no rails, and when she shows up shows up with knights as she only recently got saltpeter, so we have kights on infantry and guerillas. OOPS. Anyway the war with Henry opens up some trade with Cleo, so she gets some luxes to keep her in the fight and we get some more money. Course now she can't afford to upgrade her knights....

Anyway, I take the money from Cleo and spend it on culture throughout the empire. All along here rushed culture has been expanding our borders so we were staying pretty even with the cultural flips to the Dutch and Portugese, but the Portugese offensive cost about 2 points on the domination count so now we are down to 60%.

There are galleons at Kiel which I have been releasing northbound to meet southbound troops along the coast then sailing the galleons south to the hotspots. There are a bunch of settlers hanging out on the Perisan island so moving a couple of galleons over there and picking them up to resettle where ever an opportunity opens up will get us closer to the goal, if we can keep the towns.

There is a small flotilla that survived the razing of Eindhoven on its way to the bald spot in Middelburg island. It includes a settler, some zerks and some cavalry and an MDI or two. Settle the bald spot and maybe we will get a little culture buffer against the Dutch.

Problem now is we are facing late IA units with MA troops. My thinking on getting Cleo involved was to try and open some cultural holes on the Portugese and Egyptian mainland as sending our zerks against infantry just ain't in it. And when the Dutch attack and Cleo gets to play then there might be some opportunites there.

A road, a road, my kingdom for a road.

12. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Well no one said this would be easy. :D Of course I am now in the feast mode. I've got the game, but it is number three or four on the list. Figuring it is just you and me, Bro we'll just get it done.

13. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Looks like this is on 1.22 now. That works for me.

Pre-flight – 1838 AD – 127 tiles from domination. Stockholm is in trouble and will probably fall in the IBT.

IBT – We kill a Dutch guerilla. Chittagong falls to a Portuguese cav. New Alesund falls to a Portuguese cav. Stockholm falls to a Portuguese infantryman. Egypt declares on the Dutch.

1. 1840 AD – We’re now at 171 tiles.

I think we need to step back here and develop a long range plan. I think since we are so far behind in tech it is really starting to hurt us. The infantrymen will be next to impossible to kill. I think we will lose a whole lot more cities before we start to gain again. I think we can get caught up quickly enough, but we'll need to be at peace to get there. Thoughts?

14. Bede

Bede Deity

Concur. I'm afraid I booted it when I did the deals with Cleo. I should have done them the other way around.

There ain't no way we can kill infantry with the force we have, nor can we hold the cities, so moving up the tree can only help.

There was no mod in the original .biq was there? I have no idea how it converted to 1.22 but it must have happened on my set. I don't recall doing the 1.15 but the save I got loaded just fine in whatever version I was running at the time.

15. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I don't mind playing in in 1.22, this was the last game I had going in 1.15 so I can free up a lot of space on the hard drive.

Hey, don't worry about the deals. What's done is done and it sounds good to me.

16. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I hope you don't mind, I've been putting this one off for last.

17. Bede

Bede Deity

Bugs,

Don't mind at all. You have two toughies on your plate. Just treat it as if the original roster were in place and use the other guys' clock.

18. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

:lol: OK, I'm on Gengis' clock.

19. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

@Bede, Bugs: So is this game just down to you two guys?

20. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I'm back now, and can pick up the save. (and this is 1.22 now? I thought you couldn't take 1.15 saves and make them 1.22?)