The Hinge of Fate - Development Thread

Wow @JPetroski this looks amazing! I've gone through the 12 pages and this is the most ambitous civ2 scenario concept I've ever seen! (I still need to catch up a lot on other open threads but this one got my eyes wide open with surprise) Really interesting concepts here and an amazing display of mastership of the lua capabilities! Well done!

Yes, I concur. This has all the hallmarks of a classic in the making.

In the meantime, just another follow up question. You haven’t written much about the Allied bombing campaign since post #93. How has this campaign developed over the course of the game? Has it proven to be a significant thorn or merely a nuisance to Germany’s overall war effort?

Thanks folks :) I hope you enjoy it.

In the meantime, just another follow up question. You haven’t written much about the Allied bombing campaign since post #93. How has this campaign developed over the course of the game? Has it proven to be a significant thorn or merely a nuisance to Germany’s overall war effort?

So Germany is pretty well alight at this point - all of those fires and gutted buildings are some sort of industry or civilian population that has been destroyed. To be honest, the civilian population is somewhat expendable. It makes it hard to min/max for players who want to do that, as you need to worry about assigning happiness entertainers to keep your cities going, but I really couldn't calculate what that has done, though I am sure it does translate to research being slower, less fuel over all, and less units produced.

The more important aspect happens in late 1942 when the USAAF gets involved. To be fair, in my game I had a heck of a time getting them to actually attack targets (since fixed). Knocking out industry does have an effect on the game because it makes building units that much more difficult. It was also causing some to get disbanded, which I don't want, so I've settled on simply having all produced units have the "none" for a home city to address that.

Knocking the factory of Berlin out takes it from a city that (in 1943, with Albert Speer's Reforms built) has 49 shields of production, down to 13.

I've made factories relatively cheap to rebuild just because the Allies get so many units, but that's fuel/money you can ill-afford to use on the projects.

So, I think it does have a pretty significant hindrance. I would certainly prefer for it not to happen!

upload_2022-2-16_18-3-59.png

Wow @JPetroski this looks amazing! I've gone through the 12 pages and this is the most ambitous civ2 scenario concept I've ever seen! (I still need to catch up a lot on other open threads but this one got my eyes wide open with surprise) Really interesting concepts here and an amazing display of mastership of the lua capabilities! Well done!

What we are seeing here is the construction of a classic.

Yes, I concur. This has all the hallmarks of a classic in the making.

The grandest and most ambitious of Civ2 scenarios in it's history tend to be strategic-level WW2 scenarios. ;)

I'm very sorry, is there a download for this scenario yet? I'm not seeing it? The first page has unit pics as far as I can tell but no scenario. Am I mistaken?

@JPetroski - Not to derail things with fanboyism, but I just stumbled across this thread, I'd say 10+ years after I last played Civ II and probably 15+ since I first played one of your scenarios ("Anstieg" was you, right?).
Just wanted to say it's amazing that you (and some other names I recognise from back then!) are still making scenarios and that this whole ToT, Patch Project, LUA stuff seems to have made an entirely new world of Civ II gameplay and scenario design.
Gonna dive into a few of the latest cool scenarios from you guys, but especially looking forward to trying Hinge Of Fate, everything I've read in this thread has me very hyped. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, @Locopath :) It's great to see someone who played back in the day coming back! HoF corrects a lot of issues I was never pleased with about Anstieg. I'm hoping to have it out soon!

The title "(Der) Anstieg und (der) Fall des dritten Reichs" let me reflect about how strange some of the names in English language in some of my Civ 3 scenarios and mods will sound in the ears of real English speaking civers. :)

In German this title would be named: "Aufstieg und Fall des Dritten Reichs".

The title "(Der) Anstieg und (der) Fall des dritten Reichs" let me reflect about how strange some of the names in English language in some of my Civ 3 scenarios and mods will sound in the ears of real English speaking civers. :)

In German this title would be named: "Aufstieg und Fall des Dritten Reichs".

Well, we're about 20 years too late to change it lol :)

Top Bottom