The Hittites

just finished a hitt game at emp level. this guide was very much right on. i won the game by space but the game was a little boring and the hitts never made me feel like i had any deep advantag. thanks again isoin you call it like is.

Y

Exp and Comm peak at different times. Exp is good for Ancient age and Comm peaks at the end of the game. Hitites need slow, constant expansion or an early land grab with a middle age builder phase.

During your review, you said something about a free tech after eserching philosophy or something like that. Is it something the patch added? Can someone explain please? If you dunno want i'm talking about...

' Starting with Alphabet and Pottery, the early beeline of Philosophy, a free Code of Laws, and Republic is tempting. On average however, the Hittites are better served with a beeline to Philosophy strat, picking up Polytheism as the free tech (in some lucky cases the Hitts will pull off Monarchy, having got Poly by trade or goodie hut). '

Thanks in advance!

In C3C the FIRST civ to succesfully research Philosophy gets a free tech of their choice.

Ision

I have liked all your reviews, Ision, but I think this was my favorite. Dead on target.

There is one additional thing I have noticed in playing four games (including COTM1) with the Hittites. Workers are always in short supply for any civ, but for the Hittites it can be even worse. If you do decide to use their unique unit, it is likely at some point you will need large quantities of workers to road mountains and other impassable terrain for the 3MC--even if it is just to get to one or two final AI cities. Supporting and building that workforce can be a tremendous drain on an early empire in food, shields and commerce, indirectly making the UU even more expensive.

As you mentioned, planning ahead militarily with the Hittites is very important. A civver who fails in this will end up supporting a large force of 3MCs and workers that do nothing but patrol around swamps looking for alligators.

I agree with other veteran C3C players that putting Hittites civ in the game might be an insult (I didn't meant to offend a little). If they ever start in the middle of the jungle field or on the mountain field, their UU will render useless as they never move across mountains, swamps, and jungle unless you hire a lot of workers to create a path of freedom for them (UU) of course. Doing so will have a high price, as workers were need to be paid for unit support cost. In my positive opinion, their civ traits could be more relevant on somewhere with less jungle or marsh along with larger pangea maps as their scouts could find goody huts easily and gain more money if any players choose to create a large empire and revolt to Communism, as corruption will be less rampant.

I agree with Ision. Hittites are a difficult civilization. I think it would be better to put a 3/1/2 Unique Unit than a 2/2/2 3MC, because then for the same cost of a swordsman you could get a powerful, mobile (despite limitations) military unit that requires no iron. But I still like them, mostly for the Expansionist trait that gives me scouts and Pottery, so I can build a granary faster and start an early settler rush with advantages. In my current game as the Hittites on Regent I could isolate Babylon into a corner while my 3MCs drove the persians out of the game. I am now opening relations with the American and Iroquois on the other continent while I plan to conquer Arabia with a large cavalry force (They have only a few musketmen, most of their cities are defended by pike).

Put me on the "played them once and never again" list. I got an almost entirely jungle map...and when I found I couldn't build horsemen I just quit. But since I always play as random if they come up again I suppose I'll give 'em another shot.

I'd just like to point out that, although all the things this article points out about the Hittites are valid for general use, there is one map where they (and the 3-Man Chariot) will absolutely dominate--the "Mesopotamia" conquest. In this map, the Hittites are Militaristic rather than Expansionist (which makes more sense historically and makes them more useful in the long run), so they can build Barracks in their 5-6 core cities and start cranking out 3MCs once they have the technology to do so. The 3MCs are one of the most powerful units you'll get for a long time on this map and give a Golden Age that's perfectly timed. I was able to destroy both Sumer and Babylon and was on my way to knocking out the Medes (I had taken out Phoenicia early on) with a force consisting mainly of Veteran and Elite 3MCs. I won because the score rose over 5500 from all the cities I conquered/razed; the only wonder I ever built was the Statue of Zeus

NOTE: Mesopotamia is rather flat,as maps go, which makes this strat a little easier.

I'm playing a game with them right now. (I've made topics about it before).
I also started with A LOT of jungle (I never realized that your Civ determines your terrain).
I don't know if I like em though, I guess my economy is running well, but I have a lot of gems and spices. Early on I could beat the other civ on my island, because I could scout the terrain and pop some huts. (don't quite remember how many).
Brings me to another point; it would be nice to see how much your traits are helping you in-game. In de F1 advisor screen "+48 gpt from traits".

Top Bottom