The Hunter Biden Thread

Unironically yes. If you think he's demented you've never interacted with someone with actual dementia
Oh wait. I did!
Joe has the same mannerisms. Getting lost. Blank stares. Losing train of thought mid sentence. It's all there.
Early stages. Still smarter than the VP, though, I have to give him that.

Joe has the same mannerisms. Getting lost. Blank stares. Losing train of thought mid sentence. It's all there.
Those are not mannerisms of dementia.

Or, to be precise, these mannerisms as-described are so vague that they apply to me, a 30-odd year old guy without dementia, in the morning before I've had a coffee.

Not to cast doubt on someone with such a good track record on "making up utter rubbish", but the only logical conclusions here are: a) you haven't actually interacted with someone with dementia, or b) you're deliberately conflating minor symptoms that are indicative of a massive range of conditions, with a person actually having dementia.

Either way, not the best arguments.

Last edited:
As someone who does have a stutter (particularly around hard C/K and P sounds), a lot of Biden's apparent word salad sentences come across as him trying to avoid a problem sound by swapping in other words or veering in other directions. I do the same thing at times.
Throw in Biden's long known tendency to be a rambling / folksy speaker, and the odd word salad sentences are a nothingburger.
People want to poke fun at it? Fine; we all did that with Dubya's Bush-isms and Obama's 12-month pregnant pauses.
I am not poking fun at Biden's stutter. I am sure he has one, no issues there. Neither at his dementia.
Just the fact that people still think he should be managing anything more than his own household is surprising.

It was more than three decades ago that Congress passed any kind of infrastructure bill to fix bridges, airports, the power grid. "Genius" Trump said it was "hard" and got nothing done. Biden got it done with bipartisan support in 14 months. Make any conclusion you want from that fact. I like Biden for his competence.

Btw, both my parents, my wife's grandparents and her mother suffered from dementia. Biden shows none of the signs of dementia. He's just old. Healthy and smart but old.

I am not poking fun at Biden's stutter. I am sure he has one, no issues there. Neither at his dementia.
Just the fact that people still think he should be managing anything more than his own household is surprising.

The fact that people think Trump should be anywhere but swinging under a gibbet is surprising to me, but here we are I guess.

And sometimes, finally addressing a major issue after decades of neglect is preferable to watching bridges collapse. It would have cost less if Clinton or Bush had addressed the problem, but that's politics for you.
i'm not opposed to the idea of infrastructure built for the public coming from government. i'm a bit more skeptical that government spending on all of this will be even reasonably efficient. that said, it's still something that a government should actually be doing, rather than illegal loan forgiveness or the umpteenth random "take your property" attempt with a new coat of paint. so i will give the biden admin some credit here.

They fixed that burned, collapsed bridge in two weeks. Really lazy huh?

It's also debatable whether the private sector is more efficient than the public. The US has an economy built on underpaid labor that can't afford healthcare and housing. If that's efficient, you can have it.

They fixed that burned, collapsed bridge in two weeks. Really lazy huh?

It's also debatable whether the private sector is more efficient than the public. The US has an economy built on underpaid labor that can't afford healthcare and housing. If that's efficient, you can have it.
government interventions in healthcare, housing, and education subsidies do not appear to make these cheaper or more effective.

private has a healthier set of incentives at baseline than government unless you can somehow constrain government to such a local level that it's trivial to identify and replace non-performance (that doesn't happen in reality). however, "healthier" =/= "healthy". i can't go "full libertarian", because "no regulation" = "concentrated power and de facto regulation" by fractions of private sector instead. when you replace law enforcement with mafia, you still have law enforcement. it's different laws and has a different coat of paint, but law enforcement all the same. frequently less preferable. that i can't say it's always less preferable is unfortunate.

what usa is doing now strikes me as heading into worst of both worlds. you have "private" institutions that have extremely large/disproportionate amounts of influence on government and/or lack of legal consequences for violating law. these institutions not only influence government policy, they also collaborate with government officials in turn. "right to repair" legal fights showcase this a bit, big tech and banks as well.

i've seen enough de facto government behavior by big private actors (and enough court rulings blatantly favoring corps over individuals they screw over) that i'm starting to warm to the idea of "separation of church non-individuals and state". no massive bailouts of "private" banks, no "working with" big tech on public messaging, etc. i don't know exactly what this looks like, because i've not thought of it for long yet. but imo a big part of the reason the "private sector" in the usa is a problem stems from the fact that it isn't very "private". tons and tons of special legal and financial protections that mess up incentives and blur the line between "privately held corporation" and "government agent" to varying degrees. sure, if *that* is your benchmark for "private", it's a distinction w/o a difference.

Slavery was in the private sector. Just pointing it out.

Yes, and would also have been impossible to maintain (let alone expand) without large public investments in policing capacity and military power. (Remember that the reason the South so outgunned the North at the outset of the civil war is that Southern government as such consisted almost entirely of keeping relatively large numbers of men under arms in the state militias to forestall slave revolts like Nat Turner's or the much earlier Stono Rebellion)

This is just like the modern 'private sector' as we understand it simply does not exist without a state guaranteeing property and contracts. And in fact does not exist (or at least cannot be said to exist in the same form) in countries that do not meet those conditions.

Right-libertarians and centrist liberals don't, in fact, believe in "small" or "limited" government. They believe in government specifically limited in terms of what it can do to reign in the ruling class, but they believe in more-or-less total state power with respect to the state reaching into any and every aspect of society that must be drawn into the market and forced to function through the cash nexus.

Those are not mannerisms of dementia.

Or, to be precise, these mannerisms as-described are so vague that they apply to me, a 30-odd year old guy without dementia, in the morning before I've had a coffee.

Not to cast doubt on someone with such a good track record on "making up utter rubbish", but the only logical conclusions here are: a) you haven't actually interacted with someone with dementia, or b) you're deliberately conflating minor symptoms that are indicative of a massive range of conditions, with a person actually having dementia.

Either way, not the best arguments.

Let me break down your argument and tell you why it's a bad argument. I'll type slowly so you can follow along.

You're saying that "Those [Getting lost. Blank stares. Losing train of thought mid sentence.] are not mannerisms of dementia".
Which is objectively a false statement. Because they are.

I saw you learned how to link to proof in another threat... well done.

But the funny/sad thing is your argument. Your reasoning is that those are not mannerisms of dementia because those things apply you, "a 30-odd year old guy without dementia".
That's like saying a fever isn't a symptom of the flue, because you're hot when you sit in a sauna.

Having had two grandparents succumb to ACTUAL dementia, & watching it happen, which was tough, & so knowing the actual signs, one of the things I recall is them repeating the same just crazy ideas over & over, which had no basis in reality - just made up stuff. Even when we reacted to them, & tried over & over to tell them they weren't correct & these ideas were just in their head. No matter what was presented to them to the contrary, they'd keep repeating the same thoughts, the same phrases. Even when you presented them with evidence that what they believed was not current reality, they kept reverting to what they "knew" was true. It was painful to go through at times.

Not that this is relevant to the current conversation or anything.

The latest update on the cocaine from Sunday.
The location keeps moving!

WASHINGTON — Multiple officials involved in the White House cocaine inquiry now say the bag of powder was found in a cubby near the White House's West Executive entrance, not the formal West Wing lobby, as was previously reported.

Investigators expect to be done with the investigation by Monday, said two sources familiar with the investigation.
The inquiry had previously been expected to take a couple of weeks.

In updating where the cocaine was found, officials said that area was also heavily trafficked.
The cocaine was found in an entrance area between the foyer and a lower-level lobby, the sources said.
The entrance is near where some vehicles, like the vice president’s limo or SUV, park.
It is one floor below the main West Wing offices and on the same floor as the Situation Room and a dining area.

The White House is the most secure place on earth with drug sniffing dogs, scanning machines, countless cameras, and badges that track every movement.
The culprit will never be found.

Here is a handy basic diagram of the White House layout.

Also, when Hunter Biden was at the White House on Tuesday for the 4th of July, he just had a sniffle. ;)
Spoiler :

Last edited:
The fact that people think Trump should be anywhere but swinging under a gibbet is surprising to me, but here we are I guess.

These are the same people that voted GWBush twice
One would think 1 Mil dead americans would make them hestiate at re-electing Trump but these people arent moved by logic

You're saying that "Those [Getting lost. Blank stares. Losing train of thought mid sentence.] are not mannerisms of dementia".
I also said:
Which, weirdly, you completely ignored. We can only guess why!

government interventions in healthcare, housing, and education subsidies do not appear to make these cheaper or more effective.
Yes they do. Look at costs and outcomes around the world.

Spoiler Here is an example :

I also said:

Which, weirdly, you completely ignored. We can only guess why!
It is a matter of degree too. If you lose your train of thought regularly, it's not normal - let alone if you are 30. Biden is 80 and at the very least needs an evaluation by professionals - he is the president of US; such an evaluation would be needed for any random 80 year old let alone his office and symptoms.
Maybe it's helping him cope with Hunter, though. A bit like if you are in pain it will "help" if you fall off a high cliff.

Biden is 80 and at the very least needs an evaluation by professionals
I think it's a safe assumption that the President of the United States has such a professional team at their beck and call.

Also, I lose my train of thought frequently. Always have. It's no more a sign of dementia than brushing my teeth is. In that it's such a minor, common thing, that can be a symptom of a huge range of things (benign or otherwise) that linking it specifically to dementia is trying a tad too hard.

Top Bottom