The "Let's Figure Out Sicily" thread

This will mean that the Aragonese UHV will have to be changed, as it currently involves conquering Sicily

Not really - currently that 1st UHV for Aragon is far too easy, it will be a much more involved and effective challenge with a Sicilian civ. If Sicily spawns in 1071/1130 and Aragon in 1164, then there is still plenty of scope for Aragon to conquer Sicily by 1282AD.

Not really - currently that 1st UHV for Aragon is far too easy, it will be a much more involved and effective challenge with a Sicilian civ. If Sicily spawns in 1071/1130 and Aragon in 1164, then there is still plenty of scope for Aragon to conquer Sicily by 1282AD.
Indeed, that's what I had in mind.

It’s historical for Aragon to conquer Sicily, so it should still be both possible and part of the Aragonese UHV IMO

Indeed, that's what I had in mind.

Sounds good to me - we can always look to balance / adapt as necessary once Sicily is in place. But given the AI's limitations in defending against naval invasions on islands I doubt it will be a problem - AI Sicily might be even easier to defeat that indie Palermo which can have five or six defenders in some games.

Thanks - looks like the only missing RFCE+ civs are still Lombards, Bohemia, Rum, and Serbia.

I bet those four will be in the next update after this upcoming one.

Of course the problem with some of those is that they’d be extremely small, especially Bohemia and Serbia

Thanks - looks like the only missing RFCE+ civs are still Lombards, Bohemia, Rum, and Serbia.
Of course the problem with some of those is that they’d be extremely small, especially Bohemia and Serbia
Indeed. I'm sceptical whether some of those have enough room for a meaningful gameplay.

Indeed. I'm sceptical whether some of those have enough room for a meaningful gameplay.

I’m still a big Rum fan—there’s definitely enough map space for them and IMO enough time for them as well. It would probably be very similar to SoI’s Rum but there’s not necessarily anything wrong with that. They could even respawn as Karaman for an Ottoman roadblock like they do in that mod.

Lombards is tough because they’re definitely important enough to warrant their own civ but they’re so squeezed in by Venice and Genoa. What if Genoa was made much more likely to collapse from the 14th century on (their historical decline) which would then soon after respawn as Milan?

I do think Serbia and Bohemia are too small, yes.

Lombardy could be viable, but would probably need a UP that makes settling lots of cities close together viable, especially if they are extended to represent the non-maritime Italian city-states as a whole. I do think they merit adding if it can all be worked out, though.

Lombardy could be viable, but would probably need a UP that makes settling lots of cities close together viable, especially if they are extended to represent the non-maritime Italian city-states as a whole. I do think they merit adding if it can all be worked out, though.

So you’d be focusing on the early medieval Lombards instead of Milan?

So you’d be focusing on the early medieval Lombards instead of Milan?

No, other way around. I would even daresay that it might be better to have the Lombards just be represented by independent cities like the Visigoths to be conquered by the Franks or Germans, with the "Lombard"/Milanese/northern Italian civ only spawning in 1167 (formation of the Lombard League) as in DoC - at the very least, I would see that as a much more important component of the potential civ.

No, other way around. I would even daresay that it might be better to have the Lombards just be represented by independent cities like the Visigoths to be conquered by the Franks or Germans, with the "Lombard"/Milanese/northern Italian civ only spawning in 1167 (formation of the Lombard League) as in DoC - at the very least, I would see that as a much more important component of the potential civ.

Good, because I agree ;)

I suppose UHVs would involve a rapid conquest of Italy (called Gian Galeazzo’s Ambition or something) and some way of beating down France (as revenge for/preventing the Italian wars). Dunno about the 3rd, though.

How does this relate to Sicily? Why, as yet another existential threat to them in addition to the Byzantines, the Aragonese, the Castillians, the Tunisians, and so on!

Good, because I agree ;)

I suppose UHVs would involve a rapid conquest of Italy (called Gian Galeazzo’s Ambition or something) and some way of beating down France (as revenge for/preventing the Italian wars). Dunno about the 3rd, though.

How does this relate to Sicily? Why, as yet another existential threat to them in addition to the Byzantines, the Aragonese, the Castillians, the Tunisians, and so on!

An Italian civ would absolutely require a wonder/culture goal. Like, no contest whatsoever.

Top Bottom