1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Liberalism Beeline

Discussion in 'Civ4 Strategy Articles' started by madscientist, Dec 2, 2008.

1. squoink

squoink Chieftain

What techs do you need for your great scientist to have the option of selecting philosophy as a bulb?

I find it hard to know what I'm going to be able to bulb before I geta great person

2. ReyLuis

ReyLuis Chieftain

Great stuff :)

The only thing I would say is that, personally, I leave scientific method as long as I can seeing as it obsoletes a lot of early science buildings (monasteries - sometimes I have at least 3 in every city) and especially the Great Library

3. hoffmant99

hoffmant99 Chieftain

I like to get Liberalism, as it helps me solve the Riddle of Steel!

Look up "Conan the Barbarian the Musical" and see what I mean.

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Meditation + Code of Laws

It can be hard to remember meditation since it's not exactly a tech we are excited about.

Yes, I know the poster has reached Lib by now, but it was certainly something that always tripped me up in the past.

5. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Chieftain

Actually meditation and either drama or CoL . I've taken philosophy via this route beforee specially if I've done the aesthetics trade catch up thing

6. Archon_Wing

Well, that is pretty exciting actually.

7. dalamb

dalamb Chieftain

I'm in the habit of going for Meditation when aiming at the Oracle since my usual strategy (at Noble) is to found some monasteries in the capital early, for the research boost.

8. The Wimp

The Wimp Chieftain

is all of this worth it for just one extra technology?

9. Archon_Wing

Yes, since the AI doesn't usually go for it, it's well worth the trip. It's not just liberalism itself, but the techs Civil Service and Education are very strong. Also, the major techs on this path can be bulbed and have high trading value.

You don't need it to win but it's one of the easier ways to get an advantage.