• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Maygars and the Finns: Lost cousins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that linguisticaly the Uighurs are nto the closest surviving relatives of the Magyars, but they are a closer relative than the Finns. Also, you state that peoples don't simply give up their language. While this is generally true, peoples living under the rule of another people will often adopt the ruling culture's language. If this were not so, the Chinese would speak thousands of different languages almost equally rather than mainly different Chinese dialects, sam to be said of the Native Americans, who have all but forgotten their native tongues in something like 500-200 years. In addition, you mention the rythm of Magyar music, this is actually the main reason that the Uighurs where first considered possible Magyar relatives. The music is so similar that it was almost as if the Magyar folk songs had simply been translated into Uighur, rather than being different songs. Besides this, genetic evidence links them to having Finno-Ugric or Indo-European ancestors. The fact that the music and a scattering of words are so similar leads many to believe that the Uighur must be of Finno-Ugric descent.

Unikum! That was it! :goodjob:

I never actually heard true Magyar (or Hungarian if you like) folk music, by the term Hungarian we understand Csardas performed with violins and cymbals (you know, the big wooden box with more than hundred strings). But as I understand this is more of a gypsy influenced music? (100 violins orchestra, Monty csardas, etc...) Cause I heard similar music played by french gypsies.

There is a nice example of a whole people "borrowing a language" from an other people. The Bulgarians. I do not know what they where to begin to (possibly some sort of turkic tribe, but I have read that they adopted their present slavic language when they moved to their present location.

(I believe it was History of Europe by J.M. Roberts)

Oh, and I have a more general one, but more jucy:

The Prussians took their name from a Baltic people (close relatives of Latvians and Lithuanians) who resided aproximately in the area of Kaliningrad (Königsberg) untill the 13th century. They wiped them out savagely in the name of christianity and stole their name.

There is a nice example of a whole people "borrowing a language" from an other people. The Bulgarians. I do not know what they where to begin to (possibly some sort of turkic tribe, but I have read that they adopted their present slavic language when they moved to their present location.

They didn't adopt the Slavic language (the language of the peoples they ruled) but Slavs eventually were able to penetrate leadership positions in the Bulgar empire(s), rather like how the Slavs quickly penetrated and overwhelmed the Varangian leadership of early Rus. In Bulgaria's case though, the (Turko-Chuvash-speaking) Bulgar leadership fairly early on accepted Slavs into their ranks and integrated quickly with the underlying Slavic society which probably vastly outnumbered the Bulgars. Nonetheless, it was never a case of the Slav language merely supplanting the Bulgar; many original Turkic-Bulgar words survive in modern Bulgarian. This is apparently not the case in modern Uighur, i.e. that Ugric words have survived into the modern language. For instance, all of the modern Slavic languages have the same terms for the third person singular (i.e., "He", "She" and "It"): On, Ona, Ono - except Bulgarian, which uses той (toj), тя (tja) and то (to). Among the Slavic languages, when describing rules or traits, it is common to hear "all Slavic languages...except Bulgarian...." Bulgarian still retains a lot of its historical non-Slavic properties, and if Uighur was once a Ugric language, then so should it as well.

Oh, and I have a more general one, but more jucy:

The Prussians took their name from a Baltic people (close relatives of Latvians and Lithuanians) who resided aproximately in the area of Kaliningrad (Königsberg) untill the 13th century. They wiped them out savagely in the name of christianity and stole their name.

That's quite different, as that was one people replacing another - a common event in history. A people simply do not give up on their own language and start speaking another, even in situations of occupation or conquest. Economics has proven a very effective language changer, but whenever a population moves towards another language elements of their original language always survive.

And BTW, the name "Prussian" was what the surrounding Slavic peoples called the original Baltic-speakers; we don't know what they called themselves. The name stuck to the region - the Prussian lands - and so, over time, quite naturally people living in the Prussian lands came (again) to be called Prussians. It wasn't stolen...

I've consulted some professional linguists specializing in the Ural-Altaic and Ugric languages, and have been told I may get a response early this week. I will share when I hear back. In the very least it sounds extremely unlikely for a people to just drop their own language and start speaking another.

I've heard th name Pro-or PreRussian somewhere...as a preform to the world Prussian..it was Preuss in German no?

Vrylakas said:
In the very least it sounds extremely unlikely for a people to just drop their own language and start speaking another.

Eh... So what did the Gauls and the Iberians do in Roman times? Or many of the Native Americans?

Vrylakas

Your comment on the Bulgars was very informative and interesting, the Roberts book was, I must admit, very short (aprox 700 pages) so it did not contain specific enough info. Its main downside was its unilaterally western approach where eastern history (perhaps with the exception of Russia) was largely inadequate.

About Prussia, the “Prussians” where conquered by the Teutonic knights during the thirteenth century, later to become a Polish fiefdom. The source of Prussian power came from Brandenburg which later came to incorporate German Prussia into itself in 1701. The centre of Prussia did however continue to be Brandenburg with Berlin as its capital.
So it was the lands of the Teutonic knights that where known as Prussia which later came to be called merely “East Prussia” as a part of the greater Prussia of the seventeenth century.

So I guess I partly agree with you there.

Interestingly where Brandenburg now lays was once the lands of a Slavic people (the “Wieleci”) that the germans incorporated into themselves as an effect of their migration eastwards not hindered until 1410 at Grunwald/Tannenberg. There was always someone there first. Weren’t the Saxons there before that?

Where the Avars the same people as the Magyar, I know they where some sort of Turkic tribe situated in the area of western Romania of today since 567 ad and later those lands where Magyar by ca 1000 ad. When did the Hungarians get there?

Eh... So what did the Gauls and the Iberians do in Roman times? Or many of the Native Americans?

That's called displacement. In both cases these groups were conquered by outsiders who formed an administrative elite and as well colonized. In the case of the Gauls, some recent scholars have argued that they were rarely more than a loose collection of semi-related tribes whose Celto-Gaullic identity was solidified after the Roman and later Germanic onslaughts, as a reaction against outside invasion. The American (Plains) indians were forcibly Americanized and had their children taken from them and raised in American-style schools. Ancient peoples, who did not have the notions of ethno-nationalism that we have, did not do things like this.

But in both cases, the various Indian tribes and the various Gaullic tribes, they still managed to retain some aspects of their former cultures to our own day. I lived in New York state for some years and experienced first-hand local Seneca and Tuscarora (Iroquois) Indians still speaking their native language - though they also knew English. The Uighurs show no traits of a Ugric/Uralic -speaking people.

Your comment on the Bulgars was very informative and interesting, the Roberts book was, I must admit, very short (aprox 700 pages) so it did not contain specific enough info. Its main downside was its unilaterally western approach where eastern history (perhaps with the exception of Russia) was largely inadequate.

It has been my long experience that Western histories are far too often short on Eastern European history.

About Prussia, the “Prussians” where conquered by the Teutonic knights during the thirteenth century, later to become a Polish fiefdom. The source of Prussian power came from Brandenburg which later came to incorporate German Prussia into itself in 1701. The centre of Prussia did however continue to be Brandenburg with Berlin as its capital.

Nothing new for me here. My wife is from Torun/Thorn of old Prussia, so I've spent a lot of time in the north (though my family is from points east in the old Kresy). An important point to note however is that the Teutonic Knights, recently having been booted out of Jerusalem and the Crusades (and Hungary), were merely acting in conjunction with their initial sponsor - Konrad Mazowiecki (of Mazovia). Poland's central "government" (if you can call a medieval administration a government) had imploded in 1138 with the death of the last of the powerful Piasts, Boleslaw III ("Krzywousty") and would not revive until the early 14th century. Konrad, duke of Mazovia, was trying to seize real estate from the Baltic Prussians on his own initiative and equally on his own initiative had invited the Deutsches Ritteren in 1225 when the Prussians began launching devastating retaliatory raids into Chelmno and Mazovia. The convenient fact that they were non-Christians sealed the Mazovian-Teutonic Knights deal, and it was called a crusade by both sides. In the 1950s Hermann Schreiber wrote an excellent book called, when translated into English, Teuton and Slav, the Struggle for Central Europe. It is a fairly balanced book that goes into excellent detail on, among other issues, the destruction of the Baltic Prussians. It is in some regards gruesome reading but by no account unusual for its age. A good recommendation. Schreiber mentions for instance that there were reports of isolated villages still speaking the old Baltic Prussian as late as the early 18th century.

So it was the lands of the Teutonic knights that where known as Prussia which later came to be called merely “East Prussia” as a part of the greater Prussia of the seventeenth century.

Not really true; the Prussian state came to control many more lands far beyond its original medieval mandate, even before the Brandenburg unification. The Teutonic Knights came into frequent conflict for instance with two other German knightly organizations independently formed in the northern Baltic lands (modern Estonia and Latvia) as a result of earlier German migrations, and as well the Hansa city League resisted the Teutonic Knights. The eventual Prussian capital, Königsberg, was hated by those connected to the old Order as it represented the land-owning junker and middle classes who had derived from waves of German migrations and not from the ranks of the Teutonic Order. It was these two groups in fact who rioted in 1793 when Danzig/Gdansk was formally incorporated into the Prussian state; they preferred the autonomy of old Polish rule and distrusted the Hohenzollerns who romanticized the old Teutonic Order.

The name "Prussia" is simply older Slavic for "Po-rusy", the lands by/near the Rus. ("Rus" here may mean the Eastern Slavic civilization or the 10th-13th centuries, or either the Vikings of Scandinavia or possibly one of many early proto-Finnic tribes who wandered much of the modern Russian northwest, all of whom used the expression 'Rus' or 'Ruotsi' in some context.) In fact, modern Hungarian has preserved a remarkable amount of early Slavic place and people names inherited from the Moravian Slavs inhabiting the Carpathian Basin when the Magyars stormed it in the late 9th century) - for instance, Hungarians refer to Italians as "Olasz", derived from the old Slavic "ulah" or "vlah" for the Latin peoples - and the modern Hungarian term for Prussia is again the old Slavic version: "Poroszorgszág". (The "-ország" simply means "land" or "country". "Porosz" is derived from the Slavic "po-rusy", slurred even in modern Polish as "Prusy". The gist here is that you really can't take much from the Prussians' name as applying to a Baltic people who may not have even used it themselves and a later German people who picked up the name as a geographic moniker, rather like how von Bismark once remarked that for him, "Italy" would always be nothing more than a regional term.

Interestingly where Brandenburg now lays was once the lands of a Slavic people (the “Wieleci”) that the germans incorporated into themselves as an effect of their migration eastwards not hindered until 1410 at Grunwald/Tannenberg. There was always someone there first. Weren’t the Saxons there before that?

Europe is a peninsula, at the western-most end of a big landmass. There've been lots of peoples who have wandered the northern plains that stretch from the Urals to the Bay of Biscay. We only know the names of a few of the more (relatively) recent peoples.

In English these Slavs are referred to either as "Sorbs" or the German "Wends". In Polish we call the Slavs living below Potsdam in modern Germany the Luzycy (or sometimes "Serboluzycy"), meaning respectively the Lausatians and Serbo-Lusatians. They're what's left over after Charlesmagne's efforts in the late 8th century to push the Slavs back across the Elbe. The Lausatians' languagem considered today a Western Slavic language, is surprisingly close to Polish.

Where the Avars the same people as the Magyar, I know they where some sort of Turkic tribe situated in the area of western Romania of today since 567 ad and later those lands where Magyar by ca 1000 ad. When did the Hungarians get there?

No, the Avars were a largely Turkic tribal confederation while Hungarians are/were a Finno-Ugric people. The Avars entered Europe in the 6th century, destroying the Gepidic empire and taking up residence in the Carpathian Basin (i.e., modern Hungary and northwestern Romania). They were a Steppe culture and played an important role in European history for the next two and a half centuries until the Franks took advantage of an Avar civil war and trashed them in the early 9th century. When the Magyars (early Hungarians) moved into this same region decades later, they found the shards and remnants of Avar culture, mostly through several tribal groups who had piggy-backed with the Avars and followed them into Europe - among them, the Slavs.

If you're interested in some rough aspects of Hungarian and late Steppe culture, I once got into a ridiculous debate over Hungarian origins but which churned up a lot of source info in this thread here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/archive/index.php/t-65862.html

Unfortunately it has only been preserved in archive form so it's a bit difficult to follow, but you'll get the idea.

NOW, on to the main point of this discussion: Whether modern Uighur, a Turkic language spoken in what is today northwestern China, was ever in fact a Ugric language (and therefore related to Hungarian, as well as other similar languages in northeastern Siberia). My contention is that no, the idea is absurd that a people would ever give up their language entirely and just start speaking an entirely different language, with no trace of their earlier linguistic affiliation. I used a common website operated by professional linguists to ask whether this was indeed the case, and so far all responses agree that it is not possible. Here is a quote from the most succinct response:

Reply:
Uyghur is an Eastern Turkic language related to Uzbec, and, more distantly, to Azerbaijani and Turkish. It belongs to the Turkic branch of Altaic, a group made up of the Mongolian, Tungus, and Turkic languages. While a broader Atlaic including, perhaps, Korean and Japanese, is pretty much rejected among comparative linguists, this narrower Altaic is probably valid but still controversial. There has been a claim that Uralic and Altaic made up a Ural-Altaic family, but this claim has been almost universally rejected. Since the Turkic peoples spread into Turkey from the east, it's likely that the Turkic peoples originated in Central or East Central Asia. Uralic, which includes Finnish, Estonian, Samoyed, and other languages of NW Russia and the NE Baltic, has its homeland well to the NW of Turkic, and the likelihood of enough contact to lead to language adoption is remote. Uyghur, together with other Turkic languages, can be reconstructed back to Proto-Turkic with some clarity. Thus the possibility that the Uyghur peoples of western China were originally Uralic is truly remote.

Herb Stahlke
Ball State University

Reply From: Herbert Frederic Stahlke Date: Dec-12-2005
Available here: http://cf.linguistlist.org/cfdocs/new-website/LL-WorkingDirs/ask-ling/message-details1.cfm?asklingid=200355406

An important point about Uighur is that it is not just another Turkic language; it was the language and script adopted by Genghis Khan (and therefore used widely for centuries) for the literary needs of his empire, and therefore has a wide-spread history in written form, which demonstrates quite clearly that this is a native Turkic language and not a Ugric-Turkic hybrid.

Sorry folks, but there simply is no connection between Uighur and the Ugric languages.

I must confess that my knowledge of the situation with the Teutonic knights is largely comprised of what I learned in the sixth grade. Recently dough I was smitten by a sudden elevation of interest in that part of history after reading this rather entertaining alternative history book titled “Krzyzacki poker” which made me interested in the difference of the point of views of the three main participants in the battle of Tannenberg/Grunwald. So I googled the whole mess. I became a bit pissed of at “the Germans”, when my patriotic nerve was irritated (I’m born in Warsaw), after reading this German page describing “the slaughter at Tannenberg” from a rather twisted standpoint which even supposedly neutral English sites did not concur with. My level of irritation had unfortunately not abated yet when I made my previous comment.

I do recommend this one western historian who truly pays eastern Europe due in his books (and other less known parts), you have definitely already heard about Norman Davies.
I wonder why other western historians are so quick to forget the trunk of the subcontinent. Do you believe it is mostly because of the “iron curtain” or might it be so bad that they just don’t care?

Isn’t it rather so that the Wends are called the Wieleci in Polish and were situated square on modern Potsdam with the Serbs situated south of them in modern day Sachsen?
Do you know when the Serbs divided in to those and the ones by the Mediterranean?

What happened to the Longobardians, where they just swept away by the Slavs?
Oh sorry. I’ll just check that thread first.

One can seemingly claim that maybe the hordes of Kublai Kahn taught the Hungarians to play that folk music mentioned earlier. :)

I must confess that my knowledge of the situation with the Teutonic knights is largely comprised of what I learned in the sixth grade. Recently dough I was smitten by a sudden elevation of interest in that part of history after reading this rather entertaining alternative history book titled “Krzyzacki poker” which made me interested in the difference of the point of views of the three main participants in the battle of Tannenberg/Grunwald. So I googled the whole mess. I became a bit pissed of at “the Germans”, when my patriotic nerve was irritated (I’m born in Warsaw), after reading this German page describing “the slaughter at Tannenberg” from a rather twisted standpoint which even supposedly neutral English sites did not concur with. My level of irritation had unfortunately not abated yet when I made my previous comment.

There's plenty to get upset about with earlier 20th century Germans re: Poland but when it comes to medieval states competing with one another it's best to remember we're talking tiny elites who had little interest in or association with common people. Medieval states have more in common with modern corporations than with modern states.

I do recommend this one western historian who truly pays eastern Europe due in his books (and other less known parts), you have definitely already heard about Norman Davies.
I wonder why other western historians are so quick to forget the trunk of the subcontinent. Do you believe it is mostly because of the “iron curtain” or might it be so bad that they just don’t care?

Norman Davies needs no introductions here. I was reading him back in the 1980s before his books were allowed in Poland. I still have my old, tattered copies of God's Playground and etc. In fact, his introduction to his Europe, a History discusses in some detail your next question.

Isn’t it rather so that the Wends are called the Wieleci in Polish and were situated square on modern Potsdam with the Serbs situated south of them in modern day Sachsen? Do you know when the Serbs divided in to those and the ones by the Mediterranean?

Modern ethnic or national names are not always contiguous with historical peoples. There are a few theories on where Serbs may have derived their name, but it is always possible that multiple groups of Slavs (or even non-Slavs) came to use that name without being aware of each other. Also, as in the case of the Prussians, a name may derive from a historical association with a region rather than any real connection to a previous people who lived there. Before the Magyar invasions of the late 9th century, there was a fairly freeflow of Slavic cultural exchange (meaning economic, military) from the Baltic to the Black Sea, and the differences between the various Slavic groups were far less pronounced. The creation of the Magyar state in the Carpathian Basin cut two of these groups decisively off from one another, forming (eventually) the Western and Southern Slavic groups, but there still are strong traits for instance in the Czech language that seem to derive from a Southern Slavic origin. The migrations of some groups associated (possibly) with the Serbs and Croats (witness "Biala Chorwacja" near Kraków) are too vague in evidencve to say for sure what the relationship may be between, say, the Slavs of Lusatia and modern Serbs.

What happened to the Longobardians, where they just swept away by the Slavs?

The Langobards had crosed into Italy in the mid-6th century and started seizing Byzantine-controlled cities, setting up their own kingdom. They were finally destroyed by the rising Franks under Charlesmagne in the late 8th century when they tried to attack Rome but the Pope appealed to the Franks for help.

One can seemingly claim that maybe the hordes of Kublai Kahn taught the Hungarians to play that folk music mentioned earlier.

The only thing the Mongols taught the Hungarians was how to die.

Pokurcz: My point for the link was to provide some background on the Hungarians, that's all. Don't ever back out of a debate simply because you feel intimidated; just be able to back your arguments up with credible examples and sources, that's all. Trust me - if you ask my wife, I've been wrong a lot in my life... ;)

@Izraelite9191: Another linguist expert on Uralic languages has weighed in, still agreeing that any connection between the Ugric languages and Uighur is very unlikely:

I join my colleagues Fagan and Stahlke but add that the term Uighur is one of a number of "glottonyms" and ethnonyms of Siberia and Central Asia which have had a range of meanings. However i am aware of no case or instance where the term has been applied to a Uralic speaking people. There were formerly some Uralic peoples or offshoots thereof who got a little far up the Ob-Irtysh and maybe the Yenisey and fell in among Turks and became Turkicized. But I doubt if the people who became the Uighur picked up much from this. You or your source may possibly have been thinking of the "Yenisey Ostyak" but that is a term gennerally once applied to the peoples now referred to as the "Ket". Their language was certainly not Turkic, nor Uralic either. Ostyak is a term that refers to the people now known more commonly as the "Khanti" and they are Finno-Ugric, more specifically Ugric, but, therefore, Uralic. There are also the people known as the Dolgon, or "Dolgon Samoyed", or Dolgon Yakut", in the Taimyr Pennensula. Dolgon is sometimes regarded as a divergent dialect of Yakut. It is in any event certainly Turkic. But it seems more likely that the Dolgon are a Yakutucized Tungus people rather than a Yakuticized Uralic (Samoyedic) people, though there is the latter possibility.

Watch out for the term "Yellow Uighur", Sarɯ Uighur. It refers to a group of people living in China some of whom speak Uighur, others a Dialect of Mongolian, still others primarily Chinese, and yet others Tibetan! But none of em so far as I am aware speak a Uralic Language.

- Joseph F Foster Date: Dec-13-2005

Pokurcz said:
One can seemingly claim that maybe the hordes of Kublai Kahn taught the Hungarians to play that folk music mentioned earlier. :)

Considering that Hungary was occupied by the Golden Horde for about 1 year only (they left the following spring) and that the Mongols looted, raided and pillaged the entire place. It would seem highly unlikely that the Mongols would have taught the Hungarians anything. ;)

Could somebody speaking Finnish tell me what a müsta is?

Vrylakas said:
A people simply do not give up on their own language and start speaking another, even in situations of occupation or conquest.

I'm not convinced by this. What of the Persian Christians, who gradually gave up speaking Syriac and switched to Arabic under the Abbasids?

Takhisis said:
Could somebody speaking Finnish tell me what a müsta is?

There's no such word. In fact, there isn't even the letter ü in Finnish. Musta means black however. Perhaps you could specify a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom