The Means of Diplomacy

Beg more the 1g though. Depends a bit on how long you've known the leader and a bit of rng. But 30g to 60g is usually the range I work with if they have it available. I do beg 1g in a pinch though if I've already begged earlier and just really want a peace treaty. But begs in general, besides the peace treaty aspect, are something to keep track of to get more gold. You can beg off anyone Pleased or higher. Do so about every 20-25 turns. In competitive play, we track this very close and set markers on the turns we begged gold.

I will beg more than 60g sometimes as well.

Yep, for example Lain is a bit lazy on this department and has a bad habit of begging just 1:gold: when he could get 40:gold:.

Yeah, how much you can beg can be calculated if you are dilegant about it.
But it requires that you know how many turns you have known the AI, and some other factors (land target or not).

And if I have begged pigs from Monty, I would be veeeeery hesitant about begging anything more than 1g once I need another peace treaty.
I doubt even @Kaitzilla can calculate the value of pigs at a certain point in time. :)

any ballparks on when you can get more than 1g? edit: i know the first time you can get 50 or so but what i seem to be hearing is there is a window where you could get 1g, but not 50g, so I'm interested in when the window opens to beg and how many coins can slip through that window

Only Monty is insane enough to plot war while he's already in a war, so getting an AI involved in a war means you're off the hook...for the moment.

That’s been the case almost always for me, but I have had at least 2 times where a neighbor was definitely engaged in a war and declared on me.

One was Cyrus, and he had already declared on Hatty. But when I plopped a city down nearby with only a warrior, his stack saw that and just took it. I double check and he was definitely still at war. Clearly the ease of the target drew him in - I just thought they wouldn’t do that if already at war (?). I think the area was still covered by Harty’s culture, so could that have read as Hatty’s city by mistake to the AI perhaps?

The other was Cathy, who had just started to move her stack through my territory to reach the AI she was at war with, and then she simply declared on me instead. Weird.

Both of those cases sound like AIs taking opportunistic targets rather than having started plotting for a full-on war while already at war, but all the same, did not think that AIs already in a war would declare war...except for Monty, of course.

Both of those cases sound like AIs taking opportunistic targets rather than having started plotting for a full-on war while already at war, but all the same, did not think that AIs already in a war would declare war...except for Monty, of course.

Guess we'll never know why or how, then, until the code-divers take another shot at it!

I found 10g gift on the first turn you met Toku allows to open borders. As this "trade bonus" is divided by turns from the first contact it has to be greater on next turns. Before Currency some cheap tech gift could help.

Yepp, this is correct.
Only time it doesn't work in my experience is when you are also heathen toward Toku, that different religion can make it impossible to reach pleased even with the +4 fair trade temporary jolt.

10gp gift is cute, but if I meet Toku only at the point I have Currency (or at least Alpha) I am probably not too worried. Running into his border on t10 is a different situation.

Top Bottom