The Music Thread

I see that the Turks still don't have proper diplo music. I think SoI has the appropriate music for it.

Bumin: Khwarazm diplo music (Filename: suleiman_early.mp3)
Alp Arslan: Seljuks diplo music, middle (Filename: Alp_Middle.mp3)
Tamerlane: Timurids diplo music (Filename: Tamerlane_Middle.mp3)

I am thinking about creating an additional music module because I think I could figure out how to upload a music mod create a pull request.
The module would include.-
CLASSICAL ERA MUSIC
While still attaining the other classical music files, I will add approximately 30 minutes of Greek/Roman/Mesopotamian music mostly drawn from the suggestions already here. I hope that most of these will be of softer listening quality.
EAST ASIAN ADDITIONS
While the current civ specific music is not ascetically bad I think it could use some additions, some of which I already have suggested here. Specifically what I want to include here are examples of the variety of instruments and melodies from Chinese, Korean (maybe Vietnamese traditions) for Japanese I could borrow from the Sengoku mod or from the Yamanto Ensemble but civ represents Japan here already (though not entirely authentic of course)
NATIVE AMERICAN MUSIC
Now I don't have the coding ability yet to make a separate New World category so this is still conceptual, I imagine that the music would change once a player converted to a religion. Most of the native suggestions I have already placed here. I have also thought about possibly adding one or two native soundtracks to the European Rennaissance category to acknowledge the Colombian Exchange despite the great distance between musical styles.
DIGITAL ERA
I think by far this would be the most contentious as many have asked as to what digital era music would encompass. There are also great concerns that digital tracks could disrupt the musical unity of the mod but I don't that would be the case. What I am mostly looking for is some electronic oriented ambiance that will not distract from the player attention to the gameplay. Some of the first ideas that have come up is using CIV III or even CIV II modern era themes. I am also considering incorporating some music from Sim CIty 3000 Unlimited as well as music from Hong Kong Express T e l e p a t h and Subaeris, Taking some tracks from the following

But why should we have an Digital Era Soundtrack?

Because understanding that the global era roughly corresponds to the 1940-1980 period and the Digital Era refers to contemporary times, we can represent that the cultural/technological changes that have occurred at such a rapid pace. The fact that a project like DOC can be accessible to users worldwide is a symbol of this trend. I think the game can only be enriched by having a distinctive track for its concluding era. When I hear the music from the Global era track I honestly think about industrialism, the nuclear family, post war prosperity as well as the birth of an activist anti war/feminist movement in all countries, it honestly does a good job of telling that story. But the recent times could use a telling of a somewhat different story of the time we are living in now. A time ofconnectivityy, socialalienationn, loomingenvironmentall issues as well as growing questions on "what does it mean to be a sentient being, what does it mean to be human?'

I also would not mind adding this with the suggested additions that were made to the global era on this thread.

What copyright laws do we need to follow? I'm reading a bit more on copyright law and it's complicated (of course it is). It seems that nothing published after 1923 is public domain in the United States, save for specific cases where the copyright wasn't renewed. On the other hand, everything published before 1923 is public domain in the US, irrespective of author's death. The publication date is mostly irrelevant in other countries, where all that matters is author's death—works enter the public domain 50 years after death in Canada and some Asian countries, and 70 years after death in most of Europe.

If we need to make sure compositions are in the public domain for all countries, it might limit us to both pre-1923 publication and pre-1947 death for everything (regrettably, this excludes most of Gershwin)
COPYRIGHT LAWS SHOULD BE ABOLISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! fudge CAPITALISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :c5unhappy:

COPYRIGHT LAWS SHOULD BE ABOLISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! fudge CAPITALISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :c5unhappy:
This but unironically. (If this was supposed to be ironic.)

Hard same

I support the monopoly of implementations, but am heavily against the monopoly of ideas.

Monopolies of implementation should expire after the death of the creator or 70 years minus their age at the time of creation, whichever is sooner.

As if creators actually did matter when intellectual property is discussed

As if creators actually did matter when intellectual property is discussed
like in Civ III when the science adviser mocks the idea of people 'governing themselves'.

By the way, I find the medieval era soundtracks of non-christian cultures really really great. It sets the mood just right. :thumbsup:

Lately however, I even cancel the music once I hit the age threshold and the vanilla lategame soundtrack starts. Nothing against that music, but can the chinese/indian/islamic soundtrack stay enabled for an even longer time, or would it be possible to mix the older soundtracks into the ambient?
Also, there is such a thing as non-western pop/modern music. But music is heavily dependent on taste, and I also don't want to fuel the starting IP debate even more by suggesting some specific new mp3.

Well, there isn't any pop music in the game on purpose.

What about music that sounds modern? There's gotta be some public domain music that sounds convincing for the digital age.
Look at my suggestions in my post

Also, @Loreth my total proposals of the new additions to the Classical Era Soundtrack is 95mb is that too much?

I also found myself trying to sneak in authentic music into the middle east section (most of that music is pleasurable but comes from other video games), including a call to prayer from sword of Islam.

Use music from Civilization Beyond Earth for some of the digital age music?

Use music from Civilization Beyond Earth for some of the digital age music?
I know less about that soundtrack
Try to listen to the music in my post, or search for the Sim City 3000 unlimited soundtrack and give your opinions on that first.

I don't see why your suggestions should be given precedence.

I don't see why your suggestions should be given precedence.
I did not say Beyond Earth could not be included I just don't know much about it, I would have to go and listen to those first.

The reason why some of my suggestions should be included, especially in regards to the City in Rain is that the sounds are overall not too bombastic as an orchestra (which is what I thought we were trying to avoid) but also captures an essence of urban yet sophisticated bleakness that characterizes this time. In the 21st century's typical city the residents have more access to options, opportunities and information more than ever before, but at the same time, fast-paced urban life can also create a feeling of aloofness, despite being near to so many people. Each era is defined not just by its instruments but by a certain mood. In the previous post to Edmund Ironside, I wanted to see if he had any positive or negative reflections on my suggestions. I did not mean to give anything precedence.

Sure, my point is that everyone here should be free to make suggestions regardless of what others have posted, and I wanted to prevent the opposite impression. When the time comes to it I will listen to them and decide what to include.

Sure, my point is that everyone here should be free to make suggestions regardless of what others have posted, and I wanted to prevent the opposite impression. When the time comes to it I will listen to them and decide what to include.
I am happy to hear that we might have a digital era track.

Top Bottom