The Netherlands - new playable civ!

anjf said:
Belgium is it is now isn't realy founded, it was part of the Netherlands or Het koningrijk der Verenigde Nederlanden under king Willem the first. But the north and south could stand eachother so Belgium broke of. If you think about it they are in fact just a reblion state. But under pressure of the english empire the dutch have to live with it. I agree that the leader should not be a Celt but perhapse the first Belgium King I believe his name was, just as the modern king Albert.

And how did you think the Spaniards thought of the Netherlands back in the 1500's? :p
And in case of a Belgian civ, I suppose Leopold III would be most appropriate. After all, under his reign the country (sort of) had it largest territory and highest revenue.

I have been playing the Dutch mod for a while. I have some suggestions:

1. Put the city name information in a separate file, in Assets\XML\text\GameTextInfos_Cities.xml. In Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml I would use TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_<CityName> instead of <CityName>, for example:
Code:
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AMSTERDAM</Tag>
		<English>Amsterdam</English>
	</TEXT>

2. The correct spelling is Enschede instead of Enchede;
3. I prefer to see original Dutch names, even in English: Den Haag instead of The Hague (although you can ignore it).

There is not much difference between applying suggestion 1 and not applying it, but for modding newbies it is preferable that you do apply it.

Who is brave enough to record the Dutch voices for the mod? Since the Dutch shouldn't speak English. :)

Comrade Aart said:
Who is brave enough to record the Dutch voices for the mod? Since the Dutch shouldn't speak English. :)

gimme a mike! :p
b.t.w. some units say "at your service" which became a famous dutch qoute, hehe

The Dutch for sure need a Dutch voice as well, that can't be too difficult right? :D

I'm going to try and test this mod tonight.

Is a Belgian voice OK? I'm won't sound like Willem Van Oranje of course :king:
My GENTSCH accent isn't that bad :p

I don't care what kind of Dutch is spoken in the game as long as it isn't english, (and Fries(spoken by the people in the Dutch province of Friesland, i don't know the english word) some people mistake Fries with Dutch)
I find it oke if it is spoken by a vlaming(no idea again), or for my part someone else with an accent, but i would just LOVE it to hear ''what are you ordes'' or whats the plan in Dutch, the translations are ''Wat zijn uw orders/bevelen'' and ''Wat is het plan'', for the ones who would like to know that but can't translat it by themselfs.

I also agree that the origianal Dutch names should be used, because I hate it to have The Hague and not Den Haag

Sorry for my (realy bad) english i know why i got only a 5 in a scale from 1 to 10

GeoModder said:
And how did you think the Spaniards thought of the Netherlands back in the 1500's? :p.

I know the history of my country it just liked it to say it.:)

Sorry if I insulted anyone with my sayings, I know that I as Dutch man ar as much a rebel as a Belgium man is, and I don't have a problem with Belgium or its inhabitats.

(Again sorry for my english)

Tremo said:
Swiss Mercenary info is not correct? Could you explain that a bit since it works fine for me.

Also, if you downloaded the latest version, you should just unzip the entire thing into your my Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/MODS directory. then when you start the game up, go to 'Advanced' and load the one called 'Netherlands'. :)

Please be kind, I have not downloaded before.

I downloaded the file. I "unzipped" and copied the files into this folder as directed.

When I do this it states that two files have the same name and forces me ot overwrite or not. What should I do?
When I go to Advanced I do not see the 'Netherlands" as an option to load.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks

If those two similar files are rooted to the mods folder, there's no harm done to overwrite. Also, try when starting up civ to hold down the "shift" key during loading. 't Might be that your cache should be cleared.

GeoModder said:
If those two similar files are rooted to the mods folder, there's no harm done to overwrite. Also, try when starting up civ to hold down the "shift" key during loading. 't Might be that your cache should be cleared.

I just tried this without any luck.

Here's what I've done. Let me know what I'm doing wring.
1) I downloaded version 1.06 to my desk top. (the Zip file icon is there)
2) I open a window for My Docs/My Games/CivIV/Mods
3) I open the zip file
4) I select all files and drag into the open window listed above
5) I say "YES" when it states that there are two files with the same name and asks if I want to replace it.
6) I close this window.
7) I press and HOLD the SHIFT button while opening CIV IV.
8) I go to Advanced
9) I go to Load Mod and the Netherlands is not listed.

There are several options including, Desert, American Revolution, Greek... and "NONE" but no Netherlands.

Can someone please help me here.

:confused:

Haarbal said:
your watching too much commercials :p

What are you talking about?

back to the question at hand.

In another thread I was told that I needed to place a "Netherlands" folder in the Mod folder within the Program Files area, not "My Docs.

That worked. But now how literally load the Netherlands as a Civ to play or an AI civ. I do not see it listed as an option.

Yeah, this guy that told you to put the Netherlands folder under Program Files was right. I downloaded a "Sumerian" civ, and its creator let us put the file under "Program Files/Firaxis/Sid Meier's Civilisation 4/MODS"

Then, when starting the game, it should only be available when you go to "Advanced Games" and select it as a mod (with the consequential restart).
You're last post is not quite clear whether you want the dutch civ to be playable in the vanilla version or only as a mod.

Reagan1984 said:
What are you talking about?

He is talking about a dutch commerial in which you should a man or woman beheve and then appers to options ''geschikt'' acceptible or ''niet geschikt'' no accepteble for the army.

GeoModder said:
Yeah, this guy that told you to put the Netherlands folder under Program Files was right. I downloaded a "Sumerian" civ, and its creator let us put the file under "Program Files/Firaxis/Sid Meier's Civilisation 4/MODS"

Then, when starting the game, it should only be available when you go to "Advanced Games" and select it as a mod (with the consequential restart).
You're last post is not quite clear whether you want the dutch civ to be playable in the vanilla version or only as a mod.

Thank you. But, what is supposed to happen after the "consequential Re-Start?" It just goes back to the main menu.
What do I do to actually start the game? I can't actually find a place to select this Civ as the one I want to play.

To clarify your on your other point, I'd like the Netherlands (as well as other Civs in this area) to be available just like the ones that came with the game. Is that an option?

Thanks again.

Top Bottom