The Nostalgia Thread

Back in the days, there were things in each peoples house that make your friend come over.
Yep. In my case, all it took was a VCR and a slew of Star Trek: The Next Generation tapes. We held quite a few of the Red Deer Star Trek Society meetings in my living room, and after the business part of it was over, there were usually requests to put a tape in the machine.

For some reason the episode they usually asked for was the one in which Tasha dies...

I had the VHS tapes of the movies, as well as the blooper reels from the TOS series. And somehow I ended up inheriting someone else's How to Host a Murder Mystery game - that had a TNG theme. We went all out for that one - the person who owned the game also hosted this, as she did most of the cooking (these games are always set during a meal), and some of us had Star Trek costumes. She asked me to play Guinan ("because you have so many other costumes, I figured you probably have something like Guinan wears").

We also had an annual barbecue, and started a new tradition: Star Trek Jeopardy!. I put on my "Alexius Trebekius" persona and made up the categories, questions/answers, flanged up a board and assembled a bunch of noisemakers, and bought the prizes at the SF convention (or found something in my own collection to part with); my rule was that none of the competitors would go home without some kind of prize. I had someone else to determine who "rang" in first (this involved thumping on various pots and pans and Tupperware containers with a spatula or wooden spoon, as we couldn't afford a buzzer system) and she also kept score (points, not dollars). It was fun, though I gained new respect for the people who did that sort of thing for the real game. It's harder than it looks to come up with categories that are fair to everyone, and I made up some that weren't actually based on memorized facts. For example, "Scrambled Gegs" was a category in which the players would have to unscramble Star Trek-based characters and objects.

Top Bottom