The Nostalgia Thread

Lexicus

Deity
Reminisce about times now gone, experiences you wish you could have again etc.

For me: playing Pokemon for the first time as a kid. And summers at the pool, swim practice in the morning then spending all afternoon with the boys going off the diving board

Not being betrayed by my aging body. Youth of any type. ;)

I try to avoid nostalgia because I think it's dangerous - it can lead to glorifying a past that never was, and then trying in vain to bring it "back".

But I will say that I miss being in school and college, when I could regularly see my friends and people my age. I miss discovering all sorts of interests for the first time, lazy summer days between school years, and the days before I realized the world isn't getting better and adults don't actually know what they're doing. I miss the days when I had hope.

Almost everything about college. Hanging out with my friends all the time, learning interesting stuff, late nights coding and solving problem sets, road trips over breaks, TAing, partying, dancing, dating, recreational experiences not appropriate for family-friendly forums.

I know I'm looking back on it with a rosy tint and it was certainly not a uniformly happy time in my life. But that's how nostalgia works.

Last edited:
I try to avoid nostalgia because I think it's dangerous - it can lead to glorifying a past that never was, and then trying in vain to bring it "back".

Well on an individual level about the worst thing this can lead to is something like this but yeah political nostalgia or nostalgia-as-politics is often associated with fascism obviously.

Record stores: There are so many ways that the Web and modern media are superior to The Good Ol' Days of hunting for music like Indiana Jones looking for artifacts, but I do miss going into the many independent music shops around the city and browsing the bins of vinyl records. In high school, weekend trips to the shops with friends were events. It wasn't just used records at these shops, either. The independent shops were how you found the new Cocteau Twins or an imported UK-only record that included a song that wasn't on the US version. And of course they were always playing music, so you might hear something new just walking into the place. There were stores for punk, stores for jazz; stores for R&B and soul; stores for classical. The shops were also how you learned about upcoming shows, from bills posted on the walls, to local newspapers and photocopied 'zines. A handful of these places are still around, but I rarely find myself in them anymore.

I struggle to think of anything that induces a clear feeling of nostalgia in me. Kinda lame I guess.

It is curious the silly things one miss: The road when i went to the beach with my parents and seeing the sea among the trees, the music of some Spectrum games even if it was objectively pretty horrible, returning home from school at afternoon and switching on TV to watch this documentary about the silk route...

It is curious the silly things one miss: The road when i went to the beach with my parents and seeing the sea among the trees, the music of some Spectrum games even if it was objectively pretty horrible, returning home from school at afternoon and switching on TV to watch this documentary about the silk route...

Amiga sounded like the philharmonic of Vienna compared to Spectrum.

The only thing I ever feel nostalgic about is the boat...not that I liked the boat. In fact, I hated the boat, and at the time I thought I hated everything about the boat. But the truth is, to get to the boat I had to survive what I believe to this day is the most grueling educational process on the planet. It took a lot of qualification just to get in, and still about three quarters of the students washed out. Those who survived became the people that I worked with, and literally spent all of my time with, since our "commute" involved walking a couple hundred feet. We lived together, worked together, drank together in port, and the world pretty much narrowed down to just us...which means that for years if someone just barely scraped their way in because they were of merely above average intellect we tortured them about being slow witted...because our perceptions were totally skewed.

When I got out of the navy I was astonished to find that the real world is just filled with people I could hardly believe existed. People who in retrospect make up the great average bulk of the population and to me seemed like they weren't smart enough to be kept as a houseplant, much less given a job. Sometimes I miss being able to be smart and still feel ordinary.

It was fun when my dad, when he still visited me often, brought cassette tapes from his journeys.

Sweden is really near, but that Roxette tape was super dope in early 90s.

My wedding. It was a perfect summer day and my wife was stunning. I remember looking at her during the ceremony and thinking how much I loved her.

A wonderful day.

Top Bottom