The Ottoman's ability doesn't work

All that is required that your naval unit to move into a hex adjacent to the barbarian naval unit. When this happens the game rolls for the 50% chance once, and only once per ship. If the roll fails to convert the unit on first contact, then that barbarian ship is flagged so that it can never be converted. Each barbarian ship is flagged individually so any newly found ships can be converted on a successful roll.

Wow, that is really obscure :eek:

Is this documented anywhere? I always assumed it worked more like the German UA. Now I know why I never saw a converted barb boat... but then again I never really tried to farm them or anything.

Thanks for the clarification!

Killing the unit in the barb camp doesn't activate the German UA. You have to actually move a unit into the empty camp. With a melee unit, you always advance into the hex of the unit you destroyed if you attacked. With a melee unit, if the barb unit attacks you from the camp - or you kill it with a ranged unit - you have to actually advance into the camp to activate the "conversion".

ANY UNIT can move into the barb camp and then you either get the gold or a barb unit plus the gold. The only thing that matters is that a German unit occupied the camp (even a worker, GG, settler will do). The camp disappears as soon as it occupied so you only get one chance.

And if the camp is empty, the nearest barb unit will move as quickly as possible to occupy the camp OR, if its the right turn, the camp will spawn a new unit which will occupy the camp.

BTW, thanks for the information on the Otto UA - I haven't played them yet but was going to try them next. I would have gone about killing all the enemy naval units trying to covert them rather than park next them. It would just never have occurred to me to try it that way.

mmm honestly i don't think that you can get either the gold or the gold+a barb unit. my understanding was that you need to move to an empty camp to activate the 50% chance of having 25 gold + a brute. the killing method doesn't matter. you need to move into the camp and if you get a barbarian, it is a brand new unit. but i can be wrong so correct me if i am. thx again boys.

Killing the unit in the barb camp doesn't activate the German UA. You have to actually move a unit into the empty camp. With a melee unit, you always advance into the hex of the unit you destroyed if you attacked. With a melee unit, if the barb unit attacks you from the camp - or you kill it with a ranged unit - you have to actually advance into the camp to activate the "conversion".

ANY UNIT can move into the barb camp and then you either get the gold or a barb unit plus the gold. The only thing that matters is that a German unit occupied the camp (even a worker, GG, settler will do). The camp disappears as soon as it occupied so you only get one chance.

And if the camp is empty, the nearest barb unit will move as quickly as possible to occupy the camp OR, if its the right turn, the camp will spawn a new unit which will occupy the camp.

BTW, thanks for the information on the Otto UA - I haven't played them yet but was going to try them next. I would have gone about killing all the enemy naval units trying to covert them rather than park next them. It would just never have occurred to me to try it that way.

mmm honestly i don't think that you can get either the gold or the gold+a barb unit. my understanding was that you need to move to an empty camp to activate the 50% chance of having 25 gold + a brute. the killing method doesn't matter. you need to move into the camp and if you get a barbarian, it is a brand new unit. but i can be wrong so correct me if i am. thx again boys.

Top Bottom