The Pedeia-less Wonder Lore Thread

One aspect I enjoy of FFH lore is the heroes and the wonders. Something about the most unique parts of Erebus that just interest me. The who-what-when-where-why interest me, even if they aren't always specific.

At the same time, though, an embarrassing number of wonders have no lore listed in the pedia. (Or at least, not as of my last download.) And many wonders which do have 'background' instead merely have strategy tips in place of lore.

So this thread is place to talk about the under-explained Lore of Wonders. In other words, a chance for MagisterCultuum to show off his knowledge yet again, or give us a green light to muse for ourselves.

To start with...

The Celestial Compass. In the game, it doubles production of rituals, but it's at the end the Lanun-favored ocean-tech tree, and the Lanun aren't exactly known for rituals.

So, what is it, who's most likely to construct it, and for what purpose?

I had planned for Ride of the Nine Kings a story about Rhoanna, Decius, etc. riding to face down Auric, but it never really came together. I don't know if any story originally inspired its name, but probably.

It's always reminded me of the Ride of the Rohirrim out of Helm's Deep.

when i think celestial compass I generally picture the Malakim, partly because for me desert=astronomy.

When I think Celestial Compass I typically think Illians. That is mostly because I always rush for said wonder when playing as Auric so as to hasten my otherwise way too slow Ascension, but also because in the scenarios Auric is shown as using various cartographic tools to help him locate ley lines and divine the locations of the things he needs in order to gain the power of the fallen god.

I typically think of the Ride of the Nine Kings as an ancient Hippus heroic epic dealing with events of the Age of Magic. The Nine Kings may refer to the leaders of each of the Nine factions of the Patrian Civil War.

Kael hasn't really said anything definitive about such wonders though, so it is all really just conjecture.

Top Bottom