The perfidy in the laws of war

Juliennew

Warlord
Palestinian perfidy, Israeli counter-terrorism and the laws of war
By Louis Rene Beres July 31, 2002

The recent Israeli bombing of a building in Gaza succeeded in killing a principal Hamas terrorist, Salah Shehade, but it also killed and wounded a number of Arab civilians. Normally, according to international law, any such bombing that strikes noncombatants could be a clear case of "unjust means." In this instance, however, full legal responsibility for the harms done to civilians must fall upon those Palestinian leaders who deliberately placed terrorists in the midst of ordinary populations. These leaders are guilty of the long-established crime known as "perfidy."

Deception can be legally acceptable in armed conflict, but the Hague Regulations clearly disallow placement of military assets in densely populated civilian areas. Further prohibition of perfidy is found in Protocol I of 1977 additional to the Geneva Conventions of 1949, and it is widely recognized that these rules are also binding on the basis of customary international law. Indeed, it is generally agreed that perfidy represents an especially serious violation of the Laws of War, one identified as a "grave breach" at Article 147 of Geneva Convention IV. The legal effect of perfidy committed by Palestinian terrorist leaders is to immunize Israel from any responsibility for counter-terrorist harms done to Arab civilians. Even if Hamas had not deliberately engaged in perfidy, any Palestinian-created link between civilians and terrorist activities would have given Israel full legal justification for full military action.

All combatants, including Palestinian fighters, are bound by the Laws of War of international law. This requirement is found at Article 3, common to the four Geneva Conventions of August 12, 1949, and at the two protocols to these Conventions. Protocol I applies humanitarian international law to all conflicts fought for "self-determination," the stated objective of all Palestinian fighters. A product of the Diplomatic Conference on the Reaffirmation and Development of International Humanitarian Law Applicable in Armed Conflicts (1977), this Protocol brings all irregular forces within the full scope of international law.

Israel has both the right and the obligation under international law to protect its citizens from criminal acts of terrorism. Should it ever decide to yield to Palestinian perfidy in its war against Arab terror, Israel would surrender this essential right and undermine this fundamental obligation. The net effect of such capitulation would be to make victors of the terrorists, a result that would doubtlessly increase rather than diminish the overall number of noncombatant victims in the region.

Interestingly, the reciprocal obligation of Israel's citizens to the Government in Jerusalem is dependent upon the Government's assurance of protection. Many major legal theorists throughout history - notably Bodin, Leibniz and Hobbes - understood that the provision of security is the first obligation of the state. "The obligation of subjects to the sovereign," says Thomas Hobbes in Chapter XXI of LEVIATHAN, "is understood to last as long, and no longer, than the power lasteth by which he is able to protect them."

Just wars always arise from a love of the innocent. Now in the midst of such a war against Arab terrorists, Israel must continue to use all necessary military force in order to avoid further mass killings of its citizens. Although perfidious provocations by Hamas or other Palestinian terror groups may again elicit Israeli reprisals that bring harms to Arab noncombatants, it is these provocations - not Israel's defensive responses - that would be in violation of the Laws of War.

In the final analysis, Israel will have no alternative to launching periodic self-defense attacks against terrorist targets. Such operations need not be injurious to noncombatant Palestinian populations so long as the terrorists do not seek to hide amongst these populations, using them as human shields. Bound by the Laws of War of international law, these terrorists - whenever they choose to commit perfidy - will be legally responsible for all harms done to Arab civilians.

There you go, that's what I've been saying for a long time.
"Israel must continue to use all necessary military force in order to avoid further mass killings of its citizens." Naturally they are, and no one is gonna prevent them from doing it.
By the way, you're from France, I find it pretty unusual to read a French pro-Israeli article.

So keep killing those evil Red bastards!

Israel does nnot have much legal problem (under the laws of war, I venture no opionion under other regimes of law that may be applicable) The violation of placing combatants (legal, or illegal) among civilian populations to inhibit response is well recognized to have occured here and in many other instances by the various palestianian forces (even the UN place the chief blame for the Jenin casulaties up this this, while critisizing Israel for various smaller mal-feasance there). The regarding the disproportinate risk of collateral casualties among civilians when striking miliarty or other lawful targets is as yet very much unformed and up in the air. There is no real propect of there being anything legal eforcebal under that concern in the near furture. Effectively only political and PR concerns work to that end.

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Israel does nnot have much legal problem (under the laws of war, I venture no opionion under other regimes of law that may be applicable) The violation of placing combatants (legal, or illegal) among civilian populations to inhibit response is well recognized to have occured here and in many other instances by the various palestianian forces (even the UN place the chief blame for the Jenin casulaties up this this, while critisizing Israel for various smaller mal-feasance there). The regarding the disproportinate risk of collateral casualties among civilians when striking miliarty or other lawful targets is as yet very much unformed and up in the air. There is no real propect of there being anything legal eforcebal under that concern in the near furture. Effectively only political and PR concerns work to that end.

Nice one Lefty, i would really like to see a bunch of Israeli bulldozers doing the work in San Antonio, ye dumbass texan!

Originally posted by Jewish_Facist
Nice one Lefty, i would really like to see a bunch of Israeli bulldozers doing the work in San Antonio, ye dumbass texan!

Can someone do an IP check on this chap to make sure that he isn't Mr Defensor?
Its not Defensor, different posting styles, and very different IPs. But i thought I recognized the style and attitude and found a substantial match with the IP of Toecutter

In any case, ban the bugger anyway.

Well the tone sounds somewhat similar.

No one prevents the bastard from signing up again.

I didn't read the entire article, but that missile strike was wrong and the government in Israel acknowledges that.
They acknowledge the bomb choice was wrong, and from the internal investigation two things come up:

There was an operational failure - Wrong assesement of the amount of damage a 1 ton bomb would make (They thought it would only completely destroy his building, and not the others around).

There was an intelligence failure - There were gaps in the intelligence assesment info on the people that were staying in the area at the time.

The combination of both of those things led to the extremely unsusal high amount of casualties.

Out of 100 assasinations the IDF made, only 6 hurt additional civilians.

That's a point there, Ice.
Although I have problems with the policy of assasination (because it is verdict without trial) I agree that it isn't done too bad generally.
However, its supporters should (like you did) be able to admit failures, like this one, and the responsible individuals should take consequences. After all it is about human lifes.

Originally posted by IceBlaZe

They acknowledge the bomb choice was wrong, and from the internal investigation two things come up:

There was an operational failure - Wrong assesement of the amount of damage a 1 ton bomb would make (They thought it would only completely destroy his building, and not the others around).

That is a key failure I commented on a few days ago, at Poly I think, and maybe here. What kind of fool (The kind who is soon to lose his commision) would use a 2000lb warhead on a target ensconced inside a block of occupied apartments. It still will still not be a crimminal failure in the international law of war, but may well get him fried under some Israeli laws or regualations.

It isn't a french article nor mine. It has been taken from
http://www.israelinsider.com

Yes, there are pro-Israëli in France too !! :D

France has also the biggest Hebrew community in Europe (500 000) but also the biggest Muslim community. In being pro-Palestinian, I think France wants to manage the Muslims and avoid unrest. It is objective (and sad) to say that in being pro-palestinian, the french gov don't risk unrest from the Hebrews. But in being pro-Israëli, the french gov would bring unrest from all the lefties and also from some young Muslims that aren't correctly integrated in the French society. The conflict has already exacerbed violence against the Hebrews here ...
And the superficiality of the medias (showing spectacular pictures instead of doing a real investigation on the conflict) doesn't help.

I also want to clarify that I don't think that "killing those evil Red bastards" are the solution. The thing I wanted to explain here is that the Israëli's responses to the Palestinian's terrorism is completely justified by the international law and that the Palestinian authority and the extremists organizations are completely responsibles of the violence in Palestine.

The main problem in the human's sinful nature.
The only solution to the problems in the ME is Jesus-Christ, the King of Israël and also the King of all the nations. As long as the humans don't want to recognize that they are sinful by nature and that the only way is Jesus-Christ, they're will be problems.

I didn't read the entire article, but that missile strike was wrong and the government in Israel acknowledges that.

There was an intelligence failure - There were gaps in the intelligence assesment info on the people that were staying in the area at the time.

The combination of both of those things led to the extremely unsusal high amount of casualties.

Out of 100 assassinations the IDF made, only 6 hurt additional civilians.

It is quite ironic that Year after Year, it is the nation of Israel that is more concerned for Palestinian life and welfare than the sick, twisted terrorists (e.g., the murder Arafat, and the evil organizations & members of the PLO, Hammas, etc.) that "lead" the Palestinians.

The person with the oxymoronic (and obviously deliberatly inflammatory) nickname of "Jewish_Facist" should have a half-life of about 10 minutes here at CFC. In five posts, he/she has managed insult and/or offend in almost every instance. At the minimum, I'd be interested in seeing that nick deleted, and if the person behind it intends to contribute anything remotely positive, I'd say post #6 would be a good place to start & continue.

That term he/she used, "ye dumbass texan!", would get a perm-ban, esp. in context of the other posts, if I were a Mod (which I'm not and normally don't have any desire to be, except on extremely rare occasions ;) ). But then I'm a Texan, too. :hammer:

Originally posted by starlifter
The person with the oxymoronic (and obviously deliberatly inflammatory) nickname of "Jewish_Facist" should have a half-life of about 10 minutes here at CFC. In five posts, he/she has managed insult of offend in almost every instance.
:lol:
In fact he/she/it even managed to offend almost everyone, which is quite an archievement in a way...

But why was the nickname oxymoronic? A Fascist is not necessarily anti-semitic (ask Darkshade ;) ), so a Jew may well be a Fascist.

The main problem in the human's sinful nature.
The only solution to the problems in the ME is Jesus-Christ, the King of Israël and also the King of all the nations. As long as the humans don't want to recognize that they are sinful by nature and that the only way is Jesus-Christ, they're will be problems.

Wow, that line really reminds me of someone who paid a memorable visit recently. :eek: :D

There is no similarity in style, manner, or philosophy of the two, only a coincidence in a small part of the subject manner, Lefty

Wow, that line really reminds me of someone who paid a memorable visit recently.
Yes, I saw his posts. But I don't have anything common with him, excepted the fact that he believes in Jesus-Christ too. But :
1 - He was antisemit but a real born-again christian will love Israël and pray for her : Jesus-Christ is the Israël's King
2 - He didn't show any christian's love in his posts
3 - He was preaching that the catholic church was the way to salvation. Jesus said He was the only way.

I don't think he's a real born-again christian for the moment.
Someone put this quote of the Bible in another post :
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew/7:21-23)

Quote, posted by Starlifter:
But then I'm a Texan, too.

That's ok, we all have faults;)

I think yer alright, any damned hoo.

Ever think how much friendlier the world would be, without superstitions or religions? (If that isn't a redundant statement...)

Originally posted by Hitro
That's a point there, Ice.
Although I have problems with the policy of assasination (because it is verdict without trial) I agree that it isn't done too bad generally.
However, its supporters should (like you did) be able to admit failures, like this one, and the responsible individuals should take consequences. After all it is about human lifes.

I think you'll be disappointed - the investigations shows that the information about it disappeared in the birocracy on it's way up... It could take a very long time before they'll see who di what exactly.

About the artice - I wonder why so many europeans wanna trial Sharon yet non of them has ever thought about trialing Arafat and his terrorists comerades....

Originally posted by nixon
By the way, you're from France, I find it pretty unusual to read a French pro-Israeli article.

Hmmm.

I would avoid geopolitics if I was you.

You can't label a whole nation of people, especially France.
People are diverse in their attitudes, nixon.

:rolleyes:

When I read these things, the legality is clear, no matter what anyone says, leagally, the Palestinians are wrong in the way they fight, and have always refused to follow the rule of law, and have had just as little reguard for ethics or morality, which brings me to part two:

Morality, the fundemental desire for right and wrong.
The IDF knew damn well firing an air lauched missle would kill non-combatants, but they also knew they would be protected by law, making this a leagal action, but also a cowardly one as well.

I believe it was sent as a message, the message being that Israel would kill palestinian babies and women if the bombings continue.

The Palestinians just don't seem to want to end the violence, and the Israelis will continue to retaliate, as any of us would.

Arafat should be forever damned, not just for being a terrorist, but for turning down a state at camp david.

Top Bottom