The IMF, Rubles and the Russian Economy

It's ok, Spain and Belgium will always come to aid, whenever Gazprom needs it :)

Actually we export gas, that is we load your stuff from the coastal tankers and onto larger ships fit for ocean crossing, for a small fee of course.

Belgium imports large volumes of Russian LNG because its port of Zeebrugge is one of the few European points of transshipment for LNG from ice-class tankers used in the high north to regular cargo vessels.

Never let a war get in the way of a good profit.

Last edited:
I read here we exported 43,433.000 Cub m of natural gas in 22, for sure that was not won here, don't know how much that is in $ exactly, but likely a lot.

Last edited:
"Global Witness said the cost of the LNG imported from January to July at spot market prices amounted to €5.29bn."
Which represented a 1.7% increase respecting the previous year.
Wow, the article I posted has been completely debunked...

Last edited:
Family Dollar is discontinuing many "nicer" product lines as it also moves more and more items behind locks.

Whole Foods seems fine?
This would have happened regardless of Covid-times USA macroeconomic policy.

I'm unconvinced.

Magical thinking

okidoki

Okidoki is mad. Okidoki?

Ooh. Okidoki. Not the okidoki!

I got mad, I think okidoki is a pretty fair response to me getting mad.

But Japan kept its workforce employed as everyone was down to wear masks like straight up. They pushed fiscal stimulus super hard, low inflation. I'm guessing they don't import a lot of their cheap manufacturing compared to us. They definitely didn't lose a lot of production like we did shutting down.

UK had a somewhat similiar covid response to ours, but on the back of Brexit (super inflationary) and being more trade dependent, have worse inflation than we do by a lot.

The USA is super dependent on trade for dollar store items. Trade with China. Our macroeconomic policies had no effect on Chinese covid policies, which were the biggest single foundational driver of inflation. "Corporate greed", as if that ever changes, accounted for more, which was made possible by Chinese covid policies and their temporary monopolies. That's not demand driven, that's just microeconomics in action. Our spending was inflationary but dollar store goods were going to cost more no matter what. And those goods are doubly vulnerable. If there's inflation, people will want to cut costs, but they'll still buy what they need, so everyone's piling in at the dollar store, which is already facing a shortage from something way outside our control. Literally the number of container ships worldwide plummeted as many were turned into scrap. Oil got so cheap they paid you to buy it, remember? You just had to warehouse it. The price of cardboard went way up. None of this is "Congress spent too much."

You could argue that spending at the bottom helped buy out the rest of the stock of goods driving up prices. Which will be partially true but nowhere close to explain why dollar store prices are up, as I alreadt covered why. Nor does it items are behind glass (a growing trend pre-covid). It's a nonstarter of an argument because you would be arguing that people are poorer because they are richer. That means they aren't poorer, at least not from the being richer part. People aren't shoplifting because they got more money so prices are higher. People are shoplifting because prices are higher, and they don't got more money, at least not most of them.

So to highlight, when I said "Magical Thinking", it's that these very real exogenous covid/trade drivers of higher prices in the macro had nothing to do with what Congress did. And the mass microeconomic monopoly pricing changes making for a macro price rise was literal 101 market forces, not Congress. To give so much agency to even the American government here is assigning them magic powers.

I got mad, I think okidoki is a pretty fair response to me getting mad.

But Japan kept its workforce employed as everyone was down to wear masks like straight up. They pushed fiscal stimulus super hard, low inflation. I'm guessing they don't import a lot of their cheap manufacturing compared to us. They definitely didn't lose a lot of production like we did shutting down.

UK had a somewhat similiar covid response to ours, but on the back of Brexit (super inflationary) and being more trade dependent, have worse inflation than we do by a lot.

The USA is super dependent on trade for dollar store items. Trade with China. Our macroeconomic policies had no effect on Chinese covid policies, which were the biggest single foundational driver of inflation. "Corporate greed", as if that ever changes, accounted for more, which was made possible by Chinese covid policies and their temporary monopolies. That's not demand driven, that's just microeconomics in action. Our spending was inflationary but dollar store goods were going to cost more no matter what. And those goods are doubly vulnerable. If there's inflation, people will want to cut costs, but they'll still buy what they need, so everyone's piling in at the dollar store, which is already facing a shortage from something way outside our control. Literally the number of container ships worldwide plummeted as many were turned into scrap. Oil got so cheap they paid you to buy it, remember? You just had to warehouse it. The price of cardboard went way up. None of this is "Congress spent too much."

You could argue that spending at the bottom helped buy out the rest of the stock of goods driving up prices. Which will be partially true but nowhere close to explain why dollar store prices are up, as I alreadt covered why. Nor does it items are behind glass (a growing trend pre-covid). It's a nonstarter of an argument because you would be arguing that people are poorer because they are richer. That means they aren't poorer, at least not from the being richer part. People aren't shoplifting because they got more money so prices are higher. People are shoplifting because prices are higher, and they don't got more money, at least not most of them.

So to highlight, when I said "Magical Thinking", it's that these very real exogenous covid/trade drivers of higher prices in the macro had nothing to do with what Congress did. And the mass microeconomic monopoly pricing changes making for a macro price rise was literal 101 market forces, not Congress. To give so much agency to even the American government here is assigning them magic powers.
None of it is going to be in a vacuum, it all plays together. Where people are complaining the most they didn't get sent home, they never stopped reporting in. Dollar stores aren't having shortages of goods, this is 2023, they're simply axing the nice lines because people aren't buying them and locking up more behind glass because of shrinkage.

Spending isn't just spending. Spending can be misspent, like the debt, right? Did we fund all these great things by saddling the governmental share of those who are expected to just keep producing with tomorrow's unequal bite? Looks like we did.

Last edited:
Clearly our methods for extracting raw materials from the periphery have improved since then, no need for forced labour any longer,

the Russians bring their gas (and diamonds) over here voluntarily.

The bear dances but the Belgian takes the money :)
Well the bear takes the money too because gas is sold for money. So it’s kinda like you’re paying them to destroy Ukraine. That’s awesome! I love NATO.

Well the bear takes the money too because gas is sold for money. So it’s kinda like you’re paying them to destroy Ukraine. That’s awesome! I love NATO.

Well that's not NATO's fault, that's the market's fault as well as the fault of those civilian governments which set up such trade deals to allow the market to do as it wills.

NATO is simply a military organization of joint command and cooperation between the militaries of these Western nations, not those respective nations civilian governments.

Well that's not NATO's fault, that's the market's fault as well as the fault of those civilian governments which set up such trade deals to allow the market to do as it wills.

NATO is simply a military organization of joint command and cooperation between the militaries of these Western nations, not those respective nations civilian governments.
Hmm that's true! So on the one hand NATO gets to ask for more money because of the destabilizing situation, and on the other hand the civilian governments continue to engage in trade that enables and prolongs a destabilizing situation, therefore creating more reason to increase NATO funding and thus, fulfill all those lucrative military contracts. Now I get it. Man, war really is a business!

Dollar stores aren't having shortages of goods, this is 2023, they're simply axing the nice lines because people aren't buying them and locking up more behind glass because of shrinkage.

They're locking more and more stuff behind glass or resin in CVS and Walgreens here in the District too

No doubt.

Top Bottom