The point at which you get bored

In which ERA does the game start to get boring?

• ANCIENT

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • CLASSICAL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MEDIEVAL

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • RENAISSANCE

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • INDUSTRIAL

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • MODERN

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • ATOMIC

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • FUTURE

Votes: 17 14.4%

• Total voters
I thought the thread was going to talk about playing civ 5 in general over time, not just playing a particular game itself in civ 5. E.g: do you get get bored of civ 5 after 1000 hours or when you can beat deity and MP with relative ease (on deity as well)?

Anyway, for me, I think it's between Claissical and renaissance, assuming that I've had peace in that timeframe. Industrial era is when you get artillery and that's where warmongering gets interesting and when you get ideologies with factories. However, the main variables are what's in the game and what VC you are after, especially domination victory, not really the time/era. If you are next to peaceful players and you are peaceful, the game would seem rather boring. However, if you are a warmonger in this situation, the game will be very interesting as you have to fight off every other civ. On the other hand, if you are next to some warmongering civs and you wish to remain peaceful, then the game will be either irritating or interesting for you.

So it all depends on your plan/character and your environment. That determines whether your game will be boring or not. If it is an issue, try aiming for domination victories. Right now, I am divided between aiming for peaceful victory on immortal and aiming domination victory on emperor, if not, on king.

I also second Palejackal's statement.

I was hoping somebody else would vote Ancient so I wouldn't have to explain myself.

But seriously, Ancient is boring. I would cry it is so boring, but my tears are having too much fun playing Classical.

Sorta a bell curve you see. Ancient: Boring. Classical is better. Medieval is awesome. Renaissance moreso. Industrial is great if you're playing a larger map, and because I like rifle lines. Industrial is the global maxima in this situation though because it starts going down from there. The writing is on the wall, lots of micromanaging units (so much fun when the screen is flying back and forth since devs haven't grasped "go to nearest unit), and other things.

Though, if I'm doing a later start, Modern onwards is a lot better. I wouldn't mind the micromanagement so much if not for the other things (having already won being one of those things).

Recently I decided to try Marathron. I played random map and found myself in an island. It was boring after I discovered all land tiles in my island and that was turn 30. I cant get myself to continue for the next 100 turns waiting for optics.

Modern, as most of the time I'm already leading hard at that point and can only sim to my intended VC. Turns progress more slowly at this point, and I seldom need units for a peaceful victory (except for defense of course).

Even if I'm warmongering, this age tends to be stiff. I enjoy the Atomic/Info eras more as I get to use devastating late-game units, and the early game I'm either prepping for my conquest or ending the game right away with early UUs.

People get bored in this game??? well, since I had to choose one, I went with the Future era, just because the game is won or lost by then and its time to start a new game :)

Unlike Civ3 and Civ4, Civ5 doesn't get boring with the Stacks of Doom. I don't get bored at any particular era anymore. I haven't tried the BNW expansion, but Gods and Kings is quite good.

Highly recommend BNW. The alterations to AI behavior, Warmongering Mechanic and the trade routes are amazing (not to mention the late game changes to Diplo/Culture victories).

Now the AI I've met tends to keep up in tech with me better due to trade routes giving them a slight science boost, for example. I don't have to wait for Renaissance for everyone to start catching up with spies.

I don't get bored with Civ V... :)

Not sure that's the point of the question. I don't get bored with Civ V as a whole, but I do get bored with a particular save game and want to start over...

So are you saying you never get bored with a particular Civ V game and start a new one?

Not sure that's the point of the question. I don't get bored with Civ V as a whole, but I do get bored with a particular save game and want to start over...

So are you saying you never get bored with a particular Civ V game and start a new one?

Heh, while I admit I haven't finished every game I've started, I always have fun while I'm playing. Never a boring moment.

I'm not sure I ever get bored as such, but if I can a game it's probably because of:

1. Horrible start position
2. One AI civ has become a total runaway long before I find them
3. Turns out to be a boring map

Of these number 1 is by far the most likely - in current game start I'm hovering on the kill button (trying to play Darius, Alex already forward settled and the terrain/luxes are well below par - will see how it goes over next 20 turns or so but you can pretty much guess what comes next...I'm not building a settler!

It is very unusual, especially considering that in most of strategies I had exactly opposite problem, but for me the most boring is... ancient era. It sounds a bit crazy, but since BNW I prefer late - game, with all global politics, World Congress, world wars, nukes, ideologies, race for a victory if I am not a runaway and enjoying my glorious empire if I am runaway ;)

Ancient era. Of course, it is still very enjoyable - like this whole game! - but most of my "never ended games" stuck pretty early, in ancient/classical. Why? Because sometimes during this early exploration I find map really sucks, my starting position is really awful, I am already murdered by Huns :p or opposite: I am already a runaway because of early luck... If my game lasts till late medieval, I usually enjoy it enough to play till the very end.

Also, while early exploration is cool, after few hundreds hours with Civ5 all this early strategy becomes extremely tedious for me - building a monument, or building a scout, the same social policies, religion grabbing, always these few early wonders grabbing... I play multiplayer fast duels (they are awesome; in singleplayer I play only in BIG EPIC MAPS) and I was using the same optimal strategies in ancient era a LOT OF times. Really fresh game becomes for me up from medieval era.

Last but not least, in strategy games I love immersion and observing the Development of the World (diplomacy, global economy, wars etc). In the early eras there is no true global diplomacy and not very much immersion for me, rather all this race for Optimal Strategies, monuments, religion, taking city spots and all these tedious things.

I know the feeling that the OP is referring to; it often hits in the modern era for me. Usually if I hit Radio first and clean out the Wonders in that area I know I've got the game in the bag. From there out its just waiting to win.

I don't mind a runaway AI situation; those are the nailbiters. If the runaway isn't too far ahead it's tense playing catch up or trying to hamstring them. If they're really far ahead, I just retire.

I am only bored if the game does not offer some new exciting experience. Something that i haven't tried before.

I am only bored if the game does not offer some new exciting experience. Something that i haven't tried before.

Very true. I also find that I like CIVs that have late-game unique units or buildings, because it gives me something to build.

I NEVER finish games any more. I dont even think I have the achievement for winning on Deity in BNW...

Top Bottom