The Rise of Japan

Congrats Lanzelot.

I added some in-game details to post #1

It is directly where someone would look if they happened to end up there, so if you have some details you would like me to add I would be very happy to!!!

Thanks Eclipse and Cyc.

Well, my first ever PBEM. I'm not sure whether it's common to write a little resume after the game is over, but in GOTM it's usual, so I do it here as well.

First of all, nothing went as expected in this game... :D (And I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say that... This game probably went differently from what everybody here had expected in the beginning...)

Despite being promised lots of battle reports, the game was pretty peaceful... I hope I didn't spoil the fun for the rest of you by my decision to go for peaceful diplomatic victory?! The only "real" battles that we had in this game were: Calis killing Cyc's Daimyo and Blaze killing an Ashigari and the Daimyo of Hojo (AI). And I did four secret attacks with my Ninjas: two killing two of Blaze's Bushis, just to try out how these animals work (I couldn't resist...), and two for killing semental's Daimyo. I never expected that domination limit can be reached with so little fighting!

We found something that is definitely broken in this scenario: the War Council! It enables exactly one election, and that's it. I got two more popups asking me whether I want another election, and both times I clicked "Yes", but there wasn't an election! If it weren't for that bug, I guess I could have won the last vote, after Blaze had committed Harakiri. At that point there were only an AI, Eclipse and myself left, so that would have gone 2-1 in my favor. However, a "peaceful domination" isn't bad either... :D

Lanzelot

I would like to know if Blaze Injun committing Harakiri or if Lanzelot and he battled it out or what. Info please.

I would like to know if Blaze Injun committing Harakiri or if Lanzelot and he battled it out or what. Info please.

Blaze's Daimyo was visible on a mountain close to my borders, but I never attacked it. (It was still a level-1 Shogun, while I had already upgraded to level-5. That would not have been fair...) Also I'm sure there weren't any barbarian Ronins around that area. Perhaps he attacked one of my Yamabushis and died?! Only Blaze can tell.

Maybe the mountain pass gave way and he fell to his death.

Hello -
_
What means "PBEM" and what "GOTM"?

_
How do you play it?

- sincerely
Play by email is a multiplayer game in which you play a single turn and email the sav to the next player, games can last a very long tiime depending on how many players are in it and committed they are in passing the turn forward .
Game of the month is a single player game, I think it I'd score driven and has a large fan base

Thanks Eclipse -

is an email game the only save-way to play, or is there a way to play an internet live game without the possibility of cheating? I am interested in a method to play the normal offline human vs human on 2 pcs against each other, turn-based via internet.

- sincerely

Thanks Eclipse -

is an email game the only save-way to play, or is there a way to play an internet live game without the possibility of cheating? I am interested in a method to play the normal offline human vs human on 2 pcs against each other, turn-based via internet.

- sincerely

Let's move this to a PM, that's a private message.
Just in case a pm is accessed by clicking on anyones username under thier avatar
you find your pm just above the top post on the page on the right.
Send me a PM and I will help you.

There are a few places to go right away in the Civ3 pbem section
1 registry section
2 new pbem section (I need to give you details here).
3 replacement players section

you probably already know but just in case, a MP game lasts around 6 hours, a pbem game lasts 6 months to 3 years depending(more on this later)

Since we are talking about a time comitment itt pays to make friends, do what you are doing now but use PM to comunicate. Posts like this gets buried in a sea op posts.

Click on my username and browse my account, find where my other posts are and when I was last active. That's just Forum 101.

And this is important, know what kind of specific game you are interested in ie WWII world map or you'll be unhappy with it and want to leave and the other players time has been wasted.
Eclipse4449

Hi HistoryLines,
this is a bit off-topic, but here's my view on this. I think there is still a bit activity in the "real-time" multiplayer community, but it's very hard to get a complete game done.

Either you meet "strangers" on the internet, which you will very likely never meet again, so in this case you must use a very short game format and try to finish it within one session (which means rushing through the game and not much time for subtle strategy). Because it is very unlikely that you will get the same people together for a second, third or even fourth session...

Or you try to find a few reliable friends within your time-zone, who agree to meet regularly let's say once a week at the same time until the game is finished. I tried, but I never found enough people who are free at the same times as I am.

For both problems play-by-email is the perfect solution: I found that most players in this forum are very honorable and reliable. (Ok, once in a while there's a "black sheep", who drops out of a game, but usually you can find a replacement player easily, allowing the game to be finished.)
And you have enough time to think about the game, work out your strategy/diplomacy, etc, so you can play high-quality Civ and enjoy it.

The Game Of The Month is another way to compare your Civ skills with other people in a friendly competition. Everybody downloads the same starting position and then has one month to complete the game. At the end there is a ranking based on a special scoring system that allows to compare let's say a spaceship victory with a 20K victory. Also the GOTM is one of the best ways to improve your Civ skills!

Lanzelot

to eclipse -
i was mearly thanking you for the answer and questioned the whole community afterwards again. how can i message every single user simultaneouly??

thanks to lanzelot. this sound good. we play with friends offline and online the same game. so in conquest nobody can cheat? , but we have either play it online or offline, but we can not switch?

There are also Democracy Games and Team Games. There are even Democracy games with Multiple Human Teams. Playing on the same team with other humans can be a great way to improve your game. If you'd like to know more about these games, let me know.

to eclipse -
i was mearly thanking you for the answer and questioned the whole community afterwards again. how can i message every single user simultaneouly?
You can not no. 5 users at a time

What message would you send to every user?

thanks to lanzelot. this sound good. we play with friends offline and online the same game. so in conquest nobody can cheat? , but we have either play it online or offline, but we can not switch?[/QUOTE]
Yes one or the other but it is not impossible to play the pbem in multiplayer mode it is hard to set up everything exactly as it is in pbem and then load the pbem in simultanious mode. And then it is also hard to save it to bring it back to pbem mode.
Most of the time it doesn't work.

Ok, I promised a couple of finish-line pictures, so here they are.

First to answer Cyc's question:
And it's hard to believe that Lanzelot can get his Capital up to 57 shields, even with accelerated production in a GA. I suppose it's possible....,

Here my capital at turn 99 (three turns before the end):

The trick is (in addition to the GA) the Izumo Shrine. I was lucky to get an SGL early on and kept it until I had the necessary tech for that small wonder. In the early game it gave me a decent boost (capital had good production+research without workers, so the workers could improve other towns), and now in the GA it adds an additional 8 shields.
But 57 isn't the maximum yet. There are still 6 unworked tiles in the big cross, and if I would use them as well, the output would go to 71 spt. However that wouldn't make much sense: instead of 4 turns the capital would need 3 turns for the 200 shield wonder (so not that important), but the other cities' production would be severely hampered, if I took these tiles away from them.

The final map:

And the final score table:

So we should also congratulate Blaze Injun and Eclipse4449 for the silver and bronze medal, I guess. (No idea, though, why Blaze committed Harakiri two turns before the end.)

Another thing I never expected at the beginning of the game: one of the AIs is still alive at the end... :confused: :lol: (And there wasn't much use in killing the other AI, as it turned out the War Council was broken anyway...)

Lanzelot

Amazing. Thanks for the update, Lanzelot. When I tried the Takeda Clan long ago, I hadn't built the Izumo Shrine. I figured your other cities were close. I don't play accelerated production either.

Congrats to all. You too, Blaze.

Top Bottom