• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The RoundTable

I'm just relieved to hear that nobody knows what comes after the Middle Ages yet :ack:. And, what the heck, if even bellbottoms can make a comeback, maybe you all will eventually realize that the Ancient Age is in fact the :cool: place to be.

Middle Ages: when your age is greater than your waist size but less than your IQ.

I'm just relieved to hear that nobody knows what comes after the Middle Ages yet :ack:. And, what the heck, if even bellbottoms can make a comeback, maybe you all will eventually realize that the Ancient Age is in fact the :cool: place to be.

What are you talking about ancient age for? it can't be ancient if your still there! ;)

edit- put in smilie

Glad you all are enjoying it! :)

@Chamnix, I had actually intended to mention in the story that the Ancient Age is the New Middle Age … but ran out of room! :lol:

(and thanks BCLG for asking about my daughter… things are better for sure, but there's still a long road ahead of us. Well wishes and prayers are always appreciated.)

(and thanks BCLG for asking about my daughter… things are better for sure, but there's still a long road ahead of us. Well wishes and prayers are always appreciated.)

No worries, didnt mean to pry but just felt i should let you know that mine, as im sure everyone elses, best wishes are behind you and your family :)

For immediate release:

WAR HAS COME TO THE GREAT ISLAND WORLD!!!

Fast-moving purple galleys able to safely stay on deep sea tiles have landed dangerous Mounted Warriors on the peace-loving land of The Council. This unprovoked Act of Aggression is made all the more perfidious by the fact that Babe broke a Peace Treaty in order to land the troops. The Peace had lasted hundreds of years and had 40 years left to go before expiring naturally.

Let it be known across all the twisted oceans: A Treaty with Babe is not worth the paper it is written on!

For immediate release:

WAR HAS COME TO THE GREAT ISLAND WORLD!!!

Let it be known across all the twisted oceans: A Treaty with Babe is not worth the paper it is written on!

Uh-oh...

It sounds like another Whompian conspiracy.

I was about to check out for a week or so but this will keep me coming back.

Hehe. That's funny since as far as I know we haven't declared anything and haven't broke any treaties. Unless you can prove we had some agreement on units?

Oh dear Whomp, we knew you were going to try to split hairs over this matter. But it matters little - your actions speak for themselves, and none of the other teams (which is the ones that truly matter) are going to believe for a second that your motives were not of aggression. Call it what you like - the fact that you landed without formally declaring war first is even worse than formally declaring while a treaty is still running. A rose by any other name...

And if you wanted to land with purely peaceful intentions, to join our contemplative walks along the beaches, you could have bothered to ask our permission first - or at least answer the messages we sent you over the matter. :p

Believe what you will Niklas but like Saber we've done nothing outside of the rules of this game and have no reason to ask your permission. We have no reason to talk to your team either since you've offered no reason for our cooperation on multiple fronts.

Believe what you will Niklas but like Saber we've done nothing outside of the rules of this game and have no reason to ask your permission.
Oh, I haven't said you have broken the rules of this game, I'm not crying foul play, certainly not. I've only said you've broken our treaty, which is perfectly allowed by the rules. That doesn't mean it won't carry diplomatic consequences. That's the whole point of treaties after all. ;)

We have no reason to talk to your team either since you've offered no reason for our cooperation on multiple fronts.
This sentence I simply don't understand. What is it we should have offered a reason for? Whose cooperation on what fronts? :confused:

YOu can split hairs all you want. Or lie to yourself about wether or not this is treaty breaking. The other teams who this is really for will see it for what it is. You can sign treaty's in game and break them that isn't against the rules either. It is a strategy (albiet a rather dishonorable one.) I do think other teams should deal with you rather cautiosly though because of this. Since this doesn't seam to be the strategy most other teams are adhering to.

We have no reason to talk to your team either since you've offered no reason for our cooperation on multiple fronts.

What? Like Niklas, I just do not understand this sentence. But you know what? It doesn't matter as long as your team fulfills its contractual obligations. Oops, too late for that isn't it! :lol:

Oh, I haven't said you have broken the rules of this game, I'm not crying foul play, certainly not. I've only said you've broken our treaty, which is perfectly allowed by the rules. That doesn't mean it won't carry diplomatic consequences. That's the whole point of treaties after all. ;)
We've broken no treaties. We had no agreement on units. If you can show me where we did then we've broken a treaty. At this point, we've broken nothing. If any other team wants to add that to their treaties then they should ask now but it will be expensive.
Niklas said:
This sentence I simply don't understand. What is it we should have offered a reason for? Whose cooperation on what fronts? :confused:
You've offered nothing is the point and the lines have been drawn. Pretty sad when you trade a team up the way you did.
YOu can split hairs all you want. Or lie to yourself about wether or not this is treaty breaking. The other teams who this is really for will see it for what it is. You can sign treaty's in game and break them that isn't against the rules either. It is a strategy (albiet a rather dishonorable one.) I do think other teams should deal with you rather cautiosly though because of this. Since this doesn't seam to be the strategy most other teams are adhering to.
See above. Other teams can do what they wish. It's not as if it matters in this game how others perceive us that is clear.

What? Like Niklas, I just do not understand this sentence. But you know what? It doesn't matter as long as your team fulfills its contractual obligations. Oops, too late for that isn't it! :lol:
What contract? Maybe you can produce it.

Babe broke a Peace Treaty in order to land the troops.

I thought you needed to declare war for a peace treaty to be broken...

Of course we can produce it!

The treaty says that peace shall reign between our nations. You have landed military units on our shores, which is an act of aggression, and thus an act of war. Thus you have broken the treaty.

The treaty does not say that our two teams have agreed to not declare war on each other. If it had, you would not have broken it, since you haven't declared war. No, the treaty says that we shall live in peace, deliberatly worded in a way that encompasses peace in its purest form. There is no room for hair splitting, no room for claiming that an aggressive act does not mean breaking the peace just because no formal declaration was made. The treaty says we shall live in peace, and your invasion does certainly not mean to live in peace. No, the treaty did not say "both teams agree not to land military units next to the other team's towns", that is definitely implicit in the term "live in peace".

Though I don't see why I argue this really, you can claim whatever you like. It's the other teams that ultimately judge what the consequences of this are. If you felt that your credibility was already rock bottom with the other teams, then I can see why you didn't bother about breaking a treaty. I don't begrudge you the landing, you haven't broken any game rules, just a treaty. That you're trying to be sneaky about it, maybe even gain some war happiness, that changes nothing. You want war, you get war, and your credibility is even lower than what it was. That's all there is to it really.

I thought you needed to declare war for a peace treaty to be broken...
Of course you don't. In that case, history would have been full of non-wars ending with countless casualties. Of course, it is the honorable thing to do to declare war before you conduct any hostile acts. But war begins either when war is declared, or, in the cases where honor is set aside, when the first hostile act is conducted.

I see nowhere where the treaty discusses units.
Every other treaty I've seen always discusses units but it was not part of our treaty so as you say let the other teams decide. Implicit is just like saying Saber should not block their coast but we'll help them anyhow. Not that it matters at this point.

As long as Babe withdraws it's forces from Council's lands before declaring war, this (IMHO) is not really a treaty violation. If on the other hand they prefer the path of ROP Rape, then let the buyer beware on future dealings.

Top Bottom