The smartest thing the AI did to you

I got culture bombed by Ghandi on a small two city island.

He wasn't at war with me, but he didn't like me (Warmonger) as I was in the process of razing a massive out of control Hiawatha AI.

The bomb took Uranium and Oil. It made me think twice about being too cavalier with my big destroyer fleet.

This was during a Prince or King Archipelago game I think. I'd gave the AI props.

Then I remembered that I basically had won the game once I got to 3-4 Destroyers, and was only finishing out to get the achievements...

...although I did take a certain pleasure in blowing up Catherine's belligerent units like shotgun to gopher.

I was fighting Japan on a smallish continent. It kind of looked like your hand from the side when you’re “pinching someone’s head.” I had pushed him back to where I had the center of the continent and the north peninsula of the bay, he was on the south fork. I had my army arrayed in a semicircle, anchored on the oceans and closing down on his peninsula.

I noticed two of his ships show up around my cities the north peninsula. I’d just gotten my first frigate so I sent it over only to run smack into the middle of an almost perfectly executed naval invasion behind the front lines to my undefended rear.

My frigate ruined the whole thing, but had I been 1 turn later he’d have entirely disrupted my entire advance.

I like how on higher difficulties if you take an AI capital the following turn like 4 other AIs dogpile onto the wounded civ and start grabbing what they can. It's a bad move long term as it leaves the human player unhurt, but it's amusingly smart in the short term.

I dont know about smartest thing, but when I am one of the top 2 powers in the game lesser civs keep on sending me messages and insulting me. Not very smart as it puts them in the #1 spot on who am I gonna kill next list.

Also I am a war mongerer if 2 civs declare war on me and I win. I dont know, Im just that good.

I did once have Persia backstab me while I was fighting on another continent even though I was providing like 3 luxuries for 1, he almost took out my capitol too but I got a GG, popped a citadel (surprised how well that worked) and held him off. Apparently the AI wont attack whatever is in the citadel but have no problem letting it hit 3 or more of their units a turn. Add a cannon I bought in my capitol and its LOL.

The last game I played I won a Cultural Victory as Japan. My neighbors over in England started to get suspicious when I was getting a new policy every 9-10 turns, and Elizabeth kept me in a state of near perpetual war as I completed my last tree and worked on the Utopia Project.

Sadly for her, despite having about 4 times as many cities as me, she couldn't break through my Oligarchy + Hijemi Castle + Nationalism + Bushido + Great Generals + strategically placed Citadels manned by infantry who used to be uber-upgraded Samurai. She had the tech lead and was invading with Mech Infantry...my Infantry were getting ~80 strength versus ~35 for her mechs.

So she was smart in that she tried to prevent my Cultural Victory, but not so much in her tactical approach. ;)

In one game, I started to mass troops on Gandhi's border and he told me he saw me doing that... I of course said that I was "just passing through." He didn't buy it and declared war on me the turn before I declared war! I was totally surprised by this and suffered some serious causalties... though in the end he was dominated. Still, his preemptive strike was the first experience I had where I could honestly say I didn't see that coming and smart move for the AI.

PS: Anyone else notice that Gandhi is coming up a lot in the "smart" AI category?

I controlled the majority of my continent and was thinking about building an army to attack Darius. About 12 or so turns later while I'm busy building up my army Darius approaches me and tells me that he feels that Darius is a threat to the world and can only be stopped with war and asks me to join him. So I did and I crushed him.

While it wasn't smart for his people per se, I still give him props for seeing his envitable demise and siding with me against himself. :)

China sneak attacking an unprotected Berlin, while Germany was off warmongering on the other side of the continent.
Served Biz right, but Wu was real pain in the rear after.

Fairly typical, really.

I plopped a citadel down on a 6-7 hex wide semi-choke point. The AI was smart enough to avoid it like the plague and go through the other side of the choke.

What was the smartest thing the AI has done for me?

Not randomly insulting me every turn when I was playing as Germany in an ongoing game... and receiving me with a "what can we do for you" instead of "the bloodthirsty one shows up."

Ramses picked up my great general from a bunch of other embarked units I had. He did go around my frigates which were in the front line.

I personally believe there should be a movement penalty when going around sea units, just as for land units, to avoid such exploits.

I like how on higher difficulties if you take an AI capital the following turn like 4 other AIs dogpile onto the wounded civ and start grabbing what they can. It's a bad move long term as it leaves the human player unhurt, but it's amusingly smart in the short term.

Yeah, Oda just did the same thing to me. I was polishing off Monty and he declared as well and took two small cities near his island. On MY continent, not his. You get that Oda, MY continent, not yours. Guess who's next ...

Hmm interesting thread.Lets see..

Oh yeah Rome declared on me just when I got hold of the only Iron on our land mass (small continents map) via a city.He actually managed to capture it and when he did Boom 4 legion upgrades.Was quite a strugle that ultimately finished with me killing Augustus off.However I was so behind in science due to the war I could not persue any victory (Immortal difficutly btw) I just quit that particular game.

He saved his ass from an inminent death by making me think there was no diplomacy at all, so I stopped playing. But it was just beeing smart for not beeing destroyed if I continued playing.

:D

The problem at the moment is that you cannot trust any of them, you cannot make a long term ally. Since the AI is so poorly made, based on borders, power checks, strength and so on.

On topic:

Napoleon allied with Germans and Ottomans, and declared all war against me while i was playing as Greece, so i was attacked from west, north, and east. I fighted them 150 turns before giving up. It was a map with historical locations.

I think it was pretty clever of alexander to spawn an catapult in puppeted washington (my lost capitol) thereby pretty much sealing my fate.

Just before he attacked my biggest City State ally, Bismarck put a unit next to my capital, and multiple units near one of my weak, undefended cities. I was kind of surprised at this strategy. He fudged up this part, though, because he never attacked with those units (and I just slowly wiped them all out), but I think the AI is almost there. It can be fixed with a few patches. :)

♥

Top Bottom