1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Test Of Time Patch Project

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by TheNamelessOne, Dec 22, 2013.

1. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi TNO,

I'm getting the following error when trying to run version 0.15.1, which says the TOT launcher is not a valid Win32 application.

Not valid.png

I don't have this issue when launching version 0.15 or earlier.

Is there a compatibility issue going on here?

EDIT: Never mind, it appears to have been an issue related with my anti-virus which had quarantine the exe. I re-downloaded the version 15.1, properly unquarantined it and now the launcher works correctly.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

The Test of Time Patch Project is the gift that keeps on giving and giving... Head on down to the Rise of Macedon creation thread to see a short video with yet more amazing features you never knew existed but now can't possibly live without!!!!

The Rise of Macedon

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  3. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

I don't know if this has already been suggested, but would it be possible to create a on off option in Cosmic2 for Barracks?:

0 - Normal
    1 - Barracks repair units but do not produce veterans
    2 - X technology needed before Barracks produce veterans (IE Conscription or Mobile Warfare)

I have always thought Barracks took away from the joy of gaining veteran status in battle. Throughout history many armies have gone into conflicts as greenhorns & become veterans in battle (having seen the Elephant). Barracks mean all units come out as ready made veterans, but excluding them from a scenario also removes their important repair function. I would certainly make use of this in many of my scenarios.

Another idea that came up in a multiplayer game I'm having with Buck2005 is the idea of using rivers as roads or railroads & having a Trucks or Trains that are ships & can carry other units. I realise this is already possible, but is there a way to prevent these land ships from floating out to sea? This one is a bit more abstract, but I thought I would share it.

4. McMonkey

One other issue that has come up during our multiplayer game (hotseat mode) is cities automatically switching production between turns. It like when you click on the city square in the City screen & the AI automatically sets production. This caused me to go from 0 food, 1 science & 3 shields to 2 food, 1 science & -1 shields, thereby disbanding a vital unit. I managed to fix it with the cheat menu, but it is a persistent problem for certain cities. Does anyone have any ideas how to prevent this or is this something that can be fixed as part of the ToTPP?

5. KathleenArgent

KathleenArgent Chieftain

Fyi: While it pales in comparison to JPetroskis awesome videos highlighting ToTPP features, I posted a thread over in the scenario creation forum which shows a imo VERY cool feature about to come up in the next ToTPP iteration :)
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/totpp-ondrawtile-custom-graphics-preview-v0-16.632466/

It needs a few lines of code, but that can actually be quite easily done with lua - you just need to set civ.scen.onCityProduction accordingly (e.g.: taking the produced item "prod", and if it is a unit and a veteran, then remove the veteran info)

Best, Kathy

6. McMonkey

Fantastic. I thought that should be possible with Lua. If it could be set as a standard ToTPP feature then even better. Either way, we have a solution. Thanks!

7. KathleenArgent

KathleenArgent Chieftain

Sure, a cosmic parameter would be even nicer, but this here should do the trick (for 1- that is - for 2- one would have to define the corresponding techs and stuff):

Code:
    civ.scen.onCityProduction(function (city, prod)
     if civ.isUnit(prod) then
      -- remove veteran status from newly produced units
      if prod.veteran then prod.veteran=false end

--dummy line for now: this would be the line if one wants a tech to enable gaining veteran troops
      --if prod.veteran and civ.hasTech(prod.owner, civ.getTech(1000))==false then prod.veteran=false end
     end
    end)

Personally I prefer the lua approach since it leaves TNO his breathing room and one can do stuff as flexible as one wishes :) (e.g. there might be more than one tech depending on unittype or so, or it could cost gold, ....)

Noire Leblanc likes this.
  8. McMonkey

Thanks Kathy. I'll test this out. This Lua script really is a marvel for a luddite like me. I can't quite bring myself to believe it real, even when I'm busily pinging off arrows with my 'k' units. :lol:

9. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi TNO,

This was a great little feature you added to TOTPP and I've been able to use it many times but I think on occasion I've been experiencing a crash to the desk top when using it.

I don't know if anyone else as noticed this but it appears to occur every now and then when there is maybe 15 or more units in the stack and I try to select one of them by using the scroll bar.

I'd be curious to know if you think there maybe an issue associated to the feature. Let me know if you would require additional information.

10. Veleslav

Veleslav Chieftain

Hello! I recently installed TOTPP. Many thanks to those who did it!
    But i have a problem with "Navigable rivers" mod. I selected a graph "Navigable rivers" in the TOTLauncher. I tried tests in different settings. For some reason, it does not work for me.

I went in the rules.txt. In column G I change 00000000 on a 100000000 (all naval units or all units what is in the list) on a 9th bit. But it not work. Ships can not enter (from the sea) the tile with the river.
    Maybe I do not understand something? What is wrong?
    Perhaps someone could show me a working example (how to properly)?

Regards.

11. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

I was able to successfully implement this in my Vietnam scenario (as a reference you can find it on the Scenario League here)

Are you certain your unit domain flag is set to 2.

Also try adding the "NavigableRiversIntercardinal" tag to the @COSMIC2 section.

Veleslav likes this.
  12. McMonkey

Regarding Navigable rivers. Is there a way to prevent non-Marine flag units from attacking from ships when they're on a land/river hex?

In one of my latest PBEM games, I successfully embarked two siege units, sailed to an enemy city & assaulted it in a single turn. Ideally, these siege units with one movement rate would need to disembark from the ship before attacking. Have I missed an existing setting?

13. McMonkey

TNO,

I hope you don't mind, but I've started a little project over at the Scenario League to promote the forum, our scenarios and the ToTPP: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/totpp-download-bundle-website.632877/

If you have any objections to this please let me know and I can remove the link right away. I guess I should have consulted you first, but I got a bit caught up in getting the idea going & didn't think. I figured the ToTPP is freely available to download here, so I didn't think you would mind me including it in a download bundle, but I could be wrong! :)

14. Key-key-jar

Key-key-jar Chieftain

Hello there,

First, many thanks to you, TheNamelessOne ! And thank you as well to anyone who helped, inspired or encouraged him in any way (hence you are nameless ones too, which I hope you take as an honour :D).

I've been playing McMonkey's Spanish Civil War for a bit, and some of the changes ToTPP permitted are great ! The infinite movement railroad in particular is something I've hated for years :crazyeye:.
    I would also like to point out the blinking units, which you didn't seem to consider an important addition. You were of course right, but as an MGE player, I was really happy to toggle this ! Just so you know there are actually people liking it.
    But I see there is already much more in ToTPP, and even more to come... Can't wait to try it all :)

However,
    Spoiler :
    I can't make the game work on my old winXP desktop. The files are the same ones I used on two others computers (win7 and win10) without any issue.
    It seems to be related to what others in this thread have been facing, but the given solutions didn't work for me.

What happens is this : Trying to launch ToTPP.exe didn't do anything (just an error sound without any message) ; but using the Windows 2000 compatibility mode corrected this.

Which leads me to the second problem : Launching the game, be it from ToTPP or on its own, with or without compatibility mode on, actually launches the game, but it freezes after a second or so.

I've had some version of ToT running normally on this computer, but I've got no idea which one it was...
    Oh and I forgot to mention that I was using ToTPP v0.13 at the moment.

I know this is unlikely to be enough information to solve the issue, but I don't really know what to add, so... please let me know ;)

Edit :
    Spoiler :
    Woops ! I had forgotten about Gunnerpoi's post :
    Will try that !

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  15. Veleslav

Veleslav Chieftain

Thanks for help me! Not the first time, but I realized where I was mistake. Everything is working.

16. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

With 0.15.1, I have noticed a bug still persists with extremely long scenarios, where the settings get reset, along with the calendar, and governments begin changing when rules should forbid governments from changing.

Unfortunately, this bug is hard to duplicate, so I saved as many related copies of the autosaves as possible.

Anyways, thanks again for the updates! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  17. Knighttime

Knighttime Warlord

Hi TNO,

Another enhancement idea for Lua within TOTPP: would it be possible to add terraintype as a game object, similar to something like unittype? I'd like to be able to call civ.getTerrainType(n) and then have access to the various attributes of that terrain type, such as name, base food/shield/trade production, movement cost and defense, etc. Ideally these attributes would be writeable too (I understand that changes would be "ephemeral" similar to other settings loaded originally from rules.txt). If there would be a way for this to give access to the terrain specials as well, and read/write their info, that would be terrific.

One idea here is to be able to use this in conjunction with civ.ui.loadTerrain(), so that not only could terrain look different during winter, for example, but it could also give reduced production, or increased movement cost, etc. Another potential scenario usage would be to model an extended drought, or some form of nuclear winter, by globally reducing food production for some period of time.

I know that it's possible to alter the movement rate of unit types with Lua already, but that's only one small piece of what would be possible with direct access to terrain types. And for global or broad-based changes, managing movement rates for over 100 units in Lua seems to require more effort than would be need to update movement cost for 16 terrain types.

There are a number of scenarios out there that use the manual system of "save your game, exit, run a batch file to overwrite scenario files with alternate versions, restart, and reload your game." Some of those also provided a new rules.txt as well as new graphics files, so adding a terrain type object would be really helpful in allowing Lua to manage terrain-related settings without resorting to the batch file system.

Thanks for considering!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  18. Key-key-jar

Key-key-jar Chieftain

Hi,

Although I didn't get much help here, I unexpectedly found what was going wrong, in one of CurtSibling's posts in the Imperialism PBEM thread...
    So the issue (simply) was the decreased CPU patch doing nasty things. Sorry I didn't even try unchecking every box before posting :shake:

It might also be worth noting that after a fresh boot, the game loads without the need to uncheck the patch. But I'm always reluctant to reboot that old beast, for unspeakable (or rather, uninteresting) reasons.

I don't recall at which point I switched, but I now use the latest version of ToTPP.

TNO, if you happen to be interested in more info about this, please ask ;)

19. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Someome gravedug an old thread earlier, and the topic was actually something Ive seen a few times in ToT: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/stopping-enemy-spaceships-and-enemy-capitals.436/

The OP of that thread encounterd a bizarre problem of being unable to kill a spaceship until they killed its entire launching civ. I encountered something similar during a game this or last year where I was grabbing capital after capital in a futile effort to force a civ's AC ship to return home. It wasnt until the entire civ was vanquished that I finally stopped their ship.

Later on in that thread, the convo included the problem of multiple capitals. I see this *all* the time on multi map games. If a civ has dozens of cities on all 4 maps, and one of them on each map builds a Palace, that civ will have one capital for all 4 maps!

Afaik both of these seem to be bugs, but I think these bugs are again of the kind that can be taken advantage of and given an on/off switch, either in rules.txt or the Launcher's window. :)

20. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I've started playing around with ranged attack air units. While the concept is pretty much the same as the 'k' units @Grishnach and I used in Caesar's Gallic Wars, it has very interesting implications for air combat, especially in multiplayer matches. I've uploaded a video in Over the Reich's creation thread

Over the Reich - Creation Thread