The Test Of Time Patch Project

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by TheNamelessOne, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

onCalculateCityYield could allow you to add some extra production to the city based on if there was an airbase being worked, but those extra resources wouldn't show on the worker allocation map.

2. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

So I'm thinking that's Lua, and more importantly, it would be a flat bonus to every airfield tile? And if this is so, considering I already put up two threads in the last 24 hours would it be spamming to ask further questions in a new thread? Cause this ceases to be a patch question has become a Lua question.

3. Prof. Garfield

Yes it is Lua, and it would be possible to tailor the bonus to only apply if the airfield tile is being worked.

I'd just add it to the other question thread you started. Threads change direction all the time.

4. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

I need help ith the Lau patches. There are NO instructions on updating the Lua in the TOTTL menu and when I try and play The Cold War or Over the Reich I get the following message every time I click on a unit

Welcome to the TOTPP Lua console.
    Running Lua 5.3.6 Copyright (C) 1994-2020 Lua.org, PUC-Rio

Keyboard shortcuts:
    Ctrl-F1: Prints this help text
    Ctrl-F2: Aborts running script
    Ctrl-F5: Reruns last script
    Up/Down: Scrolls input history

The Cold War 1947-1991
    By John Petroski
    Requires TOTPP v. 15.1 or higher
    C:\Civ2\Test of Time\The Cold War 1947\generalLibrary.lua:1993: attempt to index a nil value (field 'movementMultipliers')
    stack traceback:

5. Prof. Garfield

My guess is that you disabled the Movement Multipliers Patch (under extra cosmic parameters). You'll have to run TOTLauncher.exe to change that.

6. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

Oh that fixed it right quick! Thank you!

7. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

Wow! I somehow completely missed TNO's big return and the new version. I'm still rocking Win7 as well so hopefully I won't have some of the issues I've seen others reporting.

Does that mean what I think it means.. that you can make the Barbarians research technologies like the regular 7 Civ slots?

8. Prof. Garfield

Haven't tried it, but it looks like it. Here's the relevant patch description:

Adds configurable tweaks for AI behaviour to @COSMIC2.
    Available keys are:
    - AICapitalizationLimit: Number of units after which the AI switches to Capitalization. Default is 512.
    - BarbOffensiveUnitLimit: Maximum number of offensive barbarian units per landmass. When this limit is reached, barbarian cities stop producing units. Default is 16, set to -1 for unlimited.
    - BarbUnitSupport: When set to 1, allows barbarian units to have a home city. Normally, barbarian-produced units have none. Defaults to 0.
    - BarbResearch: When set to 1, allows the barbarian tribe to own technologies. Defaults to 0.

Blake00 likes this.
  9. Knighttime

Knighttime Warlord

Agreed. Actually I think barbarian cities could always generate research points, which are applied towards learning a new tech. If enough points are accumulated towards their current research goal, the barbs will learn that tech just like any tribe. You can also give a tech to the barbarians via events, and they retain that knowledge as you'd expect -- but only for the remainder of that turn. At the beginning of each new turn, the barbs have all of their techs wiped away (regardless of how they were obtained), and I think their research progress counter is zeroed out.

So my understanding is that this patch just causes those two steps to be skipped, meaning barbs can then accrue techs normally across turns just like the other 7 civs.

Blake00 likes this.
  10. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

That is going to be fascinating for my 'play as Barbarians' video series as it'll be very interesting to see if this new change still works when the player takes control of the Barbarian faction 8th slot. I filmed my ToT play as Babarians video 2 or so years ago (before I made that fateful decision to go back and change all my videos to cover Civ scenarios too, leading to years of collecting work lol) but I might have to scrap it and do a better video if this works! :)

11. AyCe

AyCe Chieftain

I have a Win10 PC where the "Decrease CPU Usage" fix (pretty sure it's that one, based on testing, but could be wrong) will sometimes (other times it works just fine) lock the game up in the main menu (or the intro movie, if you don't click it away fast enough), as described here:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-test-of-time-patch-project.517282/page-56#post-16074435
    When I deactivated that fix in particular it ran normally again.

On that note, sometimes the game will just close (no "encountered an error" window) with the patched civ2.exe while the AI is doing its turn. This can be "semi-reliably" reproduced with a savegame, but only on some machines, and not 100% every time. I tried nailing down which fix causes this, as it works fine 100% of times tried in the unpatched civ2.exe, but so far whenever I though I had found the effect it turned out to later still close.

Edit: Since disabling the CPU fix no more "just-closes crashes" have happened.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021 at 6:57 AM