the Uk - A large and accurate UK map

dave_smith

Chieftain
Hi all, this is my first realistic map so any suggestions that you can make on how to impove it will be greatly appreciated.

The readme file contains all the major info about the map and what I hope to do to it.

Hope you all enjoy

*Scroll down for the download* ;)

Heres the picture... hopefully :D

Attachments

• davesuk.jpg
    davesuk.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 3,403
I've done a bit of play testing on my map and further development only to find that the current version, 0.1b, has no oil. DOH! :rolleyes: So i'm currently working on adding oil to the map. The problem is though that oil can only go on tundra or desert squares. One of the main reasons the UK imports most of its oil. So, in order to get oil on the map i'd have to added either desert or tundra which I don't really wont to do as there is none in the UK.

My other option is to create a scenario and change the terrain rules so that oil can be placed on grasslands... or in mountains or something like that.

I've updated the map to enclude a change in the rules allowing oil to be placed on grasslands. This way every strategic resource is now accounted for on the map. Enjoy ;)

I've attached the file as apposed to uploading it so I can see how many people are downloading it. Thanks to Exsanguination as I saw the idea on his thread.

+++++++++++++++++++
===================
DOWNLOAD HERE
===================
+++++++++++++++++++

Attachments

• the_uk0-2.zip
    53.7 KB · Views: 948
That would go good with a Norman Invasion scenario or a Roman Invasion scenario......

Thats a good thought Azale. Though at the moment just making civilizations for the Scots, Irish and welsh is giving me some strange errors. What I did was too delete all the civs apart from the English. And then I made the others from scratch. Now when in game the deplomacy screen with the civ leaders face on it sometimes messes up or causes the game to crash. I've decided to now just rename other civs and change the existing ones in a hope to stop this. Any ideas as to what you think maybe happening I'd like to hear them.

I'll be posting the scenario for this map soon.

Originally posted by dave_smith
I've done a bit of play testing on my map and further development only to find that the current version, 0.1b, has no oil. DOH! :rolleyes: So i'm currently working on adding oil to the map. The problem is though that oil can only go on tundra or desert squares. One of the main reasons the UK imports most of its oil. So, in order to get oil on the map i'd have to added either desert or tundra which I don't really wont to do as there is none in the UK.

My other option is to create a scenario and change the terrain rules so that oil can be placed on grasslands... or in mountains or something like that.

Place some desert islands... these will act like the oil fields in the North sea! :goodjob:

Thanks for the sugestion mate:D

I finally got around it by altering the rules to allow oil on grasslands. I know in real-life the UK doesnt get its oil from the grasslands but I felt it was an acceptable compromise:)

Hi Dave :)

Thanks for the map. I spent the weekend working on a scenario for it, using the following tribes: Romano British, Angles, Saxons, Vikings, Irish, Picts, Scots, Welsh and Cornish. I've edited the map a bit.

At some stage in the future I'd like to release it as a scenario, but it's not ready yet. If I did, would it be okay to use your Map? I'd credit you with the hard work behind it, of course!

It's a great map! Just wish we had flat maps -- I wanted to add in the Saxon, Angle and Viking homelands... but it just didn't look right, when all they had to do was go East and they'd find West Ireland!

I sent you an email Frimlin. You're welcome to use my map, and thanks for giving me the credit behind the map :)

Be sure to tell me when you've done the scenario, I wouldn't mind giving it a try. It sounds good :goodjob:

I know what you mean about flat maps... I did hear, on some of the other threads, about a program that could convert maps from being round to being flat. I haven't looked for the program myself but if I come across the thread with it in I'll be sure to e-mail you about it.

Good luck on the scenario mate. Thanks for taking an interest in my map :)

You can always turn a map into a flat map by putting two mountain ranges that run from the top to the bottom of the map with a thin body of water between them. If you just use a single mountain range, you've stopped boats from crossing, but you could still drop units off on one side of the mountain range and pick them up with boats on the other side of the mountain range. I saw the AI do this once to my great surprise, so when I'm being super anal about my flat maps, two mountain ranges are needed.

What Frimlin wanted to do was actually put land that was on the edge of the map and so mountains wouldn't of made a diference I think.

Thats a strange tactic the computer used to get across the map :crazyeye: lol. Funny how they can be clever some times and very silly at others.

Hey Dave and co!

Thanks for the permission, not sure if I have already said that or not!

I've come a long way with the scenario, but it's still incomplete. Because I'll soon be getting PTW, I'll be holding off releasing the scenario until it is repackaged into the .BIX format for PTW.

It's playing really well at the moment -- that's the main reason it is taking so long, because I'm enjoying playing it too much!

At the moment I'm changing all the civilizations involved. Trying to use as many actual historical names as possible. However, it isn't my intention to remain true to history -- but rather to create a scenario that I enjoy. So if you're expecting a purely accurate scenario then you'll be sorely disappointed.

Another good reason to wait for PTW is that I intend to use some of the units (albeit renamed and given different stats) and leaders from PTW. This will enable me to have even more tribes from historical Britain and Ireland.

Anyhow, I'll post again when I've got something ready to show.

wow... I haven't been on for so long :(

I'm glad to hear your scenarios still going Frimlin. I'm still behind it all the way... I'm hoping you create something really great. It seems like your having fun playing it so I can't wait to give it a go once I get PTW and your finished.

Keep up the good work Frimlin! :)

Originally posted by dave_smith

Its not imported, at least 50% comes from the north sea

Top Bottom