1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Evil Cooked Maps: Prepare to DIE!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gwaja, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

No prob, in the meantime I have learned how to modify saves to WB savegames, but when I wrote that post, i was still clearly overwhelmed by the aggressive settling. I haven't spent much time on that map because I had watched Lain on video, not every single video but a big part.. I cannot really dedicate to a map that has already been spoilered for me.

So yes, I agree that another EVIL MAP would be very welcome. What about being a bad boy amongst bad asses? Why not becoming Shaka or Dschingis instead of whimpy Wang or Sitting Bull? :thumbsup: "swimming with the sharks...."

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Prince

I've got an ultimate evil uncooked map, if you want one ;). But yes, a winnable ultimate evil map would be interesting :lol:.

3. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

It depends.... unwinnable is in most of my cases a map where someone is ultimate tech leader and I can't do anything to stop him. An EVIL map on the other hand must be something like surrounded by warmongers, right? That is not necessarily difficult if you are one of them and not suffer from stupid "first impressions" and know how to handle them anyway. Can you post a screenshot and short introduction to your map?

4. drewisfat

drewisfat Prince

Watcha got? I'm in a masochistic mood after I literally lost a game to barb archers last night.

5. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Prince

That's actually a fair point on unwinnable vs. evil maps, though the First Impressions modifier doesn't work the same when it's player/AI compared to AI/AI. The former is based on difficulty and (on Deity) ranges from +0 to -2, even if you're Gandhi and every warmonger on the planet is...well, on the planet. The latter I've seen go as low as something like -7, when it was Gandhi and Monty, but of course it can also go much higher than +0. I'm not sure how extreme it gets, but I do know that First Impressions between AIs isn't static, there's some variance to it that's different on different maps. Sadly I don't know the range on that variance, either, but I doubt it's more than a +2 to -2 modifier to the base First Impressions value.

As for a link, can do, but going to have to dig out out of Lain's topic...here it is, starting screenshot included. More "unwinnable" than "EVIL" map, sadly, but if you're in a masochistic mood this map will not disappoint :badcomp:.

Tobiyogi likes this.
  6. drewisfat

drewisfat Prince

Ah yeah the Charlie map, was hoping you had something else :X
    Was really no one able to beat it yet? It didn't seem unwinnable to me by any stretch, even if I lost on my attempt. Thought I figured out a plan and would just wind up redoing much of the same but this time with cheaty amounts of map knowledge.

7. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Prince

Unfortunately nothing new, and none of my old ones are on the same level as that map either :undecide:. There's a few maps that Lain never played on video which I thought looked pretty hard, they're in his topic somewhere, but...I've learned since then. I mean they're still Deity and look pretty awful, but that Charly map attached a rocket to the bar and shot it up into space. Nothing really compares.

I haven't heard of anyone beating it, no. As for whether it's winnable, it ought to be, but honestly I'll believe it when I see it and no sooner. A more concentrated concoction of distilled RNG spite in Civ IV map form I've never seen.

8. drewisfat

drewisfat Prince

I think you need decent RNG to get a kinda late GLH, and then settler spam everywhere, starting with token city for Monty.
    But I could also see someone just taking Monty head-on; Imp-Pro isn't a worthless combo here.
    I posted Prepare to cringe - bad maps (deity) a while back cuz it sent chills up my spine. Wandering eskimos scare me more than Monty.

9. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

It's indeed a question of definition if a map is evil, "unwinnable" or cringeworthy. In my own definition, AW games are the ultimate evil experience as every single neighbour turns out more and more "nasty" but where on the other hand, I have good land to work and no-one is really in position to win. I like them a lot.
    That Charlie map seems to be a combination of "cringe!" & hardly winnable including that evil neighbour. Don't know yet if that tempts me, too much challenge in one single game.

10. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

I actually wonder if there is a way to play w/o those first impressions by not giving up the Bat or Bug/bull mod. Most of the improvements in those mods are great, but the relations modifier make the game way too predictable. I remember playing a completely unmodded BtS steam version for 2 years, and on those maps, Shaka would also declare on Ghengis, or Boudica on Alex. When I started watching the first videos from Absolute Zero, I was always wondering why Gandhi or Elizabeth are universally hated and why the warmongers always declare on the "wrong" person.