The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really understand the concept of playing an MMO alone. Do you mean you play with other people but act as if the other people are AIs, or do you only play against the world, so to speak, without any other players present?

I don't really understand the concept of playing an MMO alone. Do you mean you play with other people but act as if the other people are AIs, or do you only play against the world, so to speak, without any other players present?

I want zero involvement from other real people. I like MMOs for the quests and long-term gameplay. I don't like people.

In SWTOR, you could play all the main stories 100% alone as though it were single player. It was great.

Hmm, that's interesting. Is there some reason you're looking for MMOs to do this in? Like, you mentioned Elder Scrolls Online, I'm assuming you've played all the single-player Elder Scrolls games then?

Hmm, that's interesting. Is there some reason you're looking for MMOs to do this in? Like, you mentioned Elder Scrolls Online, I'm assuming you've played all the single-player Elder Scrolls games then?

Yes. I finished a 70-hour Skyrim run last month.

Yes. I finished a 70-hour Skyrim run last month.

I missed the bit of your post where you mentioned you had both Elder Scrolls and Star Trek installed already.

Playing an MMO alone could be kind of interesting in like a post-apocalyptic way, like being alone in a space that's meant for thousands.
I like playing comp stomps in RTS games rather than PvP so that's kinda analogous I guess?

I asked for beer, but he said it was a cocktail bar and they didn't have it. So I just went with his recommendation.

Why is an Old Fashioned not for new drinkers?

It's whiskey with bitters and a bit of sugar, i.e. almost entirely whiskey. You want to get something that is mostly not-alcohol if you aren't used to drinking high proof liquor straight up. Moscow Mule (vodka+ginger beer), Gin and Tonic (gin +, er, tonic), Rum and Coke, etc. probably would have been the best to start with. Alternatively you could ask for a menu, but that, to my mind, necessitates having a knowledge of liquors and how they're going to interact with added components.

How is the drunkenness going, Mouthwash?
Remember that you are a meatbag, not Bender, so anything caused by alcohol won't be solved just by pouring more alcohol into your organism.
How did it become a thing to call someone who is in charge of a particular area of policy after a particularly despotic monarch who is mostly famous for being so evil and incompetent so as to trigger the first successful communist revolution? For example "Drugs Czar".
Actually that was the German Empire's fault… well, that'd be a tsar too.

My first time ever in my life getting drunk was when I was playing an MMO. I'd received a 1.5 liter bottle of port wine as a present, and I totally didn't realize how much alcohol was in that, and when you're drinking it you can't really taste how it's alocholic sometimes and it feels more like juice. I had no memory of what happened, I woke up next morning fully clothed in my bed, and when I went into my bathroom I had a huge mess of red everywhere (I lived by myself so I had no one to watch out for me).

Well anyways sorry, I was playing an MMO and I was in a raid thing with fifteen other people using Teamspeak so we're all voice chatting, and next day my online friends told me what happened. I was so drunk I was wildly flirting with all the guys (I was one of only two women) and talking about vulgar acts I'd like to do to them. You'd have to know I was really quite repressed at this time, I was even actually discerning joining a convent, this was really out of character and everyone was totally surprised. My lesson to myself was to always be very careful when drinking too much, because you really can make a complete fool of yourself.

I tried WoW again recently and it seriously felt like a single player game. People just don't talk to each other most of the time.

My lesson to myself was to always be very careful when drinking too much, because you really can make a complete fool of yourself.
In vino veritas.

Well anyways sorry, I was playing an MMO and I was in a raid thing with fifteen other people, and next day my online friends told me what happened. I was so drunk I was wildly flirting with all the guys (I was one of only two women) and talking about vulgar acts I'd like to do to them. You'd have to know I was really quite repressed at this time, I was even actually discerning joining a convent, this was really out of character and everyone was totally surprised. My lesson to myself was to always be very careful when drinking too much, because you really can make a complete fool of yourself.

The first time I got really drunk, I was on a low-budget cruise to Newfoundland, in our group of youths there were a couple of people who were 18 and 19, ie, of legal drinking age in Canada, so we had them buy us some vodka which we smuggled back onto the cruise ship in Poland Spring bottles.

Good times. Almost got into a fight with another kid on the ship, I totally would have thrown him overboard.

At the time, stimulants had essentially zero impact on me. If I did it now I'd probably need an ambulance. :lol:

Question for the MMO-inclined: I have both Elder Scrolls Online and Star Trek Online installed. In the past, I somewhat enjoyed Runes of Magic. I greatly enjoyed The Old Republic (particularly that I could play it entirely alone and mute everyone else).

For someone who prefers playing alone and not actually interacting with others, which would be the better MMO to dive into? I'll end up playing both but I'd like the first choice to be the better one.

I enjoy both Elder Scrolls and Star Trek, so fandom preference is a no-go.
I can recommend Star Trek Online, even as a purely single-player experience, which is how I played most of the time. It's mostly standard fare for an MMO, but it's been out for so long that it's freakin' huge, so there's a lot to do. If you're a Star Trek fan, visiting iconic locations can be cool. The crew & ship management is fun; you get to design your own uniforms and outfit your ship with different weapons and shields and so on. As a Trek nerd, I liked to be canon, but you can go nutty and put plasma torpedoes and Borg tech on your Starfleet ship, or crew your Klingon ship entirely with Nausicaans, if you want to. Late in my Starfleet character's career, I recruited a Jem'Hadar marine; I wasn't sure that made sense within the mythology, but he sure was handy to have around for the away missions where I expected to get shot at. There's even an option to design your own alien; I made myself a Denobulan first officer, but I don't know how much you can depart from Star Trek-style humanoid aliens into really weird stuff.

Playing an MMO alone could be kind of interesting in like a post-apocalyptic way, like being alone in a space that's meant for thousands.
I like playing comp stomps in RTS games rather than PvP so that's kinda analogous I guess?
In Star Trek Online, much of the space is shared, so you'll see other players all the time. The space around stations is usually crowded with ships, coming and going, but missions are instanced and will only have people you invite along with you. You can do "comp stomps" - when a Borg Cube shows up, or there's an incursion by Species 8472, anybody nearby can leap into the fray. The game forms an ad hoc team from anyone who joins these battles, so you can use your teammate buffs and shields and everything, then just go on your way when the battle's over. PvP is voluntary and provides special rewards, but I never did any, and I progressed all the way up without feeling like I was missing something.

I tried WoW again recently and it seriously felt like a single player game. People just don't talk to each other most of the time.

Wack yo. The last big multiplayer game I played was League of Legends, which I haven't played in a few years. There's a lot of talk in that game but most of it is negative.

How is the drunkenness going, Mouthwash?

I'm dizzy and sleepy. Felt pleasant enough when I left the bar, so I guess I'll try again.

I want zero involvement from other real people. I like MMOs for the quests and long-term gameplay. I don't like people.

In SWTOR, you could play all the main stories 100% alone as though it were single player. It was great.

Isn't SWTOR supposed to be terrible? It sure ruined the Kotor storylines, at least, but I can't imagine an MMO having good or engaging gameplay.

I mean, are you into Star Wars or is it just something you happened to play? What do you see in the gameplay?

Isn't SWTOR supposed to be terrible? It sure ruined the Kotor storylines, at least, but I can't imagine an MMO having good or engaging gameplay.
I felt The Old Republic was amazing, and I really enjoyed playing. At least until I played Knights of a Fallrn Empire, which I really just didn't care for at all and how sooo much changed in the game.

Alternatively you could ask for a menu, but that, to my mind, necessitates having a knowledge of liquors and how they're going to interact with added components.

@Mouthwash if the bar isn't crowded, you can also always ask the bartender for advice about stuff. Having the bartender talk you through the menu is actually a good way to pick up knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom